Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
07-04-2016, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Smallest "Master" P-TTL flash for K1

I'm looking for a (preferably small) P-TTL flash that can act as a wireless master/controller on the K1. There seem to be a few quite compact units that can act as slave, but not master. I tend to use flash "in the field" rather than in a studio setup, and would rather stick with P-TTL than go to radio triggers such as Cactus.

Currently, I have the excellent Metz 52 AF-1, which can act as master or slave. I would like to be able to trigger it off-camera. I use the built-in on the K3 for that, but of course the K1 has no built-in flash.

From what I can tell, my options are:
  • Pentax: AF540FGZ II and AF360FGZ II, both rather large
  • Metz: 52 AF-1 and 64 AF-1, again both large. The smaller Metz flashes such as the diminuitive 26 AF-1 or AF-2 can seemingly only act as slaves, which seems round the wrong way to me. Those units look like ideal pop-up replacements otherwise.
  • Sigma: EF-610 DG Super; big and powerful and (reputedly) a pain to operate.
Nothing on that list is exactly compact.

Have I missed any suitable candidates?

07-04-2016, 01:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Have you considered a radio? (cactus etc..)
07-04-2016, 01:31 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I'm looking for a (preferably small) P-TTL flash that can act as a wireless master/controller on the K1. There seem to be a few quite compact units that can act as slave, but not master. I tend to use flash "in the field" rather than in a studio setup, and would rather stick with P-TTL than go to radio triggers such as Cactus.
QuoteOriginally posted by AldaCZ Quote
Have you considered a radio? (cactus etc..)
I think he has...
07-04-2016, 01:34 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know the AF 201FG can't act as a slave, but can it be used as a master?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-04-2016, 01:44 PM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I know the AF 201FG can't act as a slave, but can it be used as a master?
According to the operating manual, downloaded at http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/acc_st_af201fg.pdf, it has no wireless mode.
07-04-2016, 02:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Really, both the AF-360 & 540FGZII models are very compact and very well featured. They could not really be considered large at all and are very easy to use on a Pentax DSLR without adding too much bulk.
07-04-2016, 03:47 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Really, both the AF-360 & 540FGZII models are very compact and very well featured. They could not really be considered large at all and are very easy to use on a Pentax DSLR without adding too much bulk.
Thanks for the advice. I will look at it carefully. In Australia, the AF360GZ II is the same price as the Metz 52 AF-1, so I will compare those two feature for feature.

Very nice guide by the way!

07-04-2016, 04:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks! If you are looking to do off - camera HSS then the Pentax models allow both 'Wireless Master' and 'Wireless Control' modes during HS sync operation. This really adds to the flexibility of shooting HSS situations as you don't have to fire the on-camera flash illuminating the scene, but rather can point the flash head towards the slave in order to optimise the optical signal (important outdoors).

The Metz 52-AF1 I am informed has a problem in that it cannot allow 'Wireless Control' mode to be engaged simultaneously with HSS mode, a serious limitation in my view, as you will have to use it in normal non-wireless P-TTL mode, meaning it will try and light the scene .... difficult if it has to be pointed away from the subject and it may therefore fire at high power outputs.
07-04-2016, 08:53 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really think this is an area Pentax fails miserably in. To me the ideal would be the size of the af201. I still have trouble understanding how'd he k-3ii and K-1 did not offer this size flash with master and controller as an optional accessory.
07-04-2016, 09:13 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I still have trouble understanding how'd he k-3ii and K-1 did not offer this size flash with master and controller as an optional accessory.
Indeed! It seems a very basic and obvious requirement.
07-04-2016, 10:07 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Indeed! It seems a very basic and obvious requirement.
Preaching to the Choir I suppose. The 360 is too big for a toss in the bag extra and it's the smallest that really provides this. Sigh.
When I bought my K-3 the K-3ii was an option and I was unwilling to buy it partly due to the lack of a solution for PTTL at a distance without having a 360 and a 540.
07-05-2016, 12:47 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Currently, I have the excellent Metz 52 AF-1, which can act as master or slave. I would like to be able to trigger it off-camera.
Yep, the Acon R930 offers just that for relatievely cheap. They are small, light and offer full P-TTL support so you can use your Metz 52 anywhere remotely.
No other flash is smaller than the Acon sender unit.

The radio connection offers the added benefit that it is invulnerable to bright sunlight.
07-05-2016, 02:14 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Pentax 360 v2 flash is not that big & heavy. Check this one - for me it has many useful options, well thought features and nice quality feel.
07-05-2016, 05:10 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

I've no doubt the Acon triggers would offer that compact solution, assuming you only need the single slave flash. A Pentax 360/540 on camera does open up more creative options, as well as more power overall. I often use the on camera flash in Master mode to provide some bounced fill light in addition to the slave units output.

Or, just the other day, I was shooting some HSS out-of-doors in bright light, using the AF-540FGZ into a reflective umbrella. .... It was lighting from a side angle, and sometimes I wasn't getting enough power out of it under the quite demanding situation .... So If flicked the on camera AF-540FGZ from ' control ' to 'Master', and instantly had extra direct light on the subject, which at -2.0 stops compensation was just enough to bring the subject more to life in addition to the main side light from the umbrella.
07-05-2016, 10:17 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
I've no doubt the Acon triggers would offer that compact solution, assuming you only need the single slave flash. A Pentax 360/540 on camera does open up more creative options, as well as more power overall. I often use the on camera flash in Master mode to provide some bounced fill light in addition to the slave units output.

Or, just the other day, I was shooting some HSS out-of-doors in bright light, using the AF-540FGZ into a reflective umbrella. .... It was lighting from a side angle, and sometimes I wasn't getting enough power out of it under the quite demanding situation .... So If flicked the on camera AF-540FGZ from ' control ' to 'Master', and instantly had extra direct light on the subject, which at -2.0 stops compensation was just enough to bring the subject more to life in addition to the main side light from the umbrella.
You can put the 540 right on top of the Acon if you like to get the best of both worlds.