Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2016, 07:55 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am also in the camp of missing the pop up as a controller/fill. It is my favorite way to use PTTL. If I have enough space to carry multiple full sized flashes and time to set up, I'll carry radio triggers and use manual mode. The beauty of the small on-camera flash controlling a larger remote flash is that I just walk into a living room, set up the off camera flash out of the way in bounce mode and let the on camera flash control and fill. It is easy, quick and gives great results. As far as I know, there is no pocketable master for the K1.

BTW, I have a nice long cord but have never found it all that useful as a substitute. Some kid, dog or yours truly will end up tripping on it.

12-02-2016, 11:56 PM   #47
Pentaxian

For exactly the scenario described above there is no lighter, smaller, cheaper, more flexible solution than a pair of Acons.
Put it on the cam and position the flash whereever you want, like behind the sofa bouncing off the ceiling.
09-05-2017, 08:27 PM   #48

I think the mecablitz 26 AF-2 could be an option. It supports TTL/P-TTL and Remote Slave for the Pentax and with the actual Firmware it is compatible with the K-1
09-05-2017, 08:35 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gerard_Dirks Quote
I think the mecablitz 26 AF-2 could be an option. It supports TTL/P-TTL and Remote Slave for the Pentax and with the actual Firmware it is compatible with the K-1
But it can't be a master, which is what is actually required.

09-06-2017, 01:47 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Have we discussed the Metz Mecablitz M400 flash?

It's compact, and does Master mode:
From the manual for Pentax:

QuoteQuote:
"In remote master mode the master flash unit on the camera controls all slave flash units and also contributes to exposure of the shot itself."
It also does HSS, and has a LED light for video too - seems a neat little unit.
09-06-2017, 02:10 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Yes, it's new. I just saw it a few days ago. It's specifically designed for compact mirrorless, so may well be the smallest workable option for the K-1. At 220 g (without batteries) it is somewhat lighter than the AF-360FGZ II (290 g).
09-06-2017, 05:07 AM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

It's compact, and does Master mode:
From the manual for Pentax:

Quote:
"In remote master mode the master flash unit on the camera controls all slave flash units and also contributes to exposure of the shot itself."
It also does HSS, and has a LED light for video too - seems a neat little unit.
Seems very neat indeed. Somewhat expensive for what's needed however. A little less power, but mostly the same functions as the 52 AF-1 (excluding the video light) for close to the same price.

A 100$ unit with limited power and functionalities (no swivel, nothing fancy, just PTTL and wireless master) would be ideal.

09-06-2017, 07:42 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
A 100$ unit with limited power and functionalities (no swivel, nothing fancy, just PTTL and wireless master) would be ideal.
Seems a good idea. Maybe someone from Pentax, Metz, Yongnuo or Shanny will read this.
09-06-2017, 08:42 AM   #54
Veteran Member

It sounds like people are wanting what Nikon and Canon offer ....an infrared commander unit that is dedicated to just controlling the slave flashes.
09-07-2017, 05:02 AM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
It sounds like people are wanting what Nikon and Canon offer ....an infrared commander unit that is dedicated to just controlling the slave flashes.
I'd rather have a small but real flash, so it can contribute to the exposure when needed.
10-22-2018, 04:38 AM - 1 Like   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I ended up with a AF201 and AF360FGZII last week. I used to own the AF540FGZII which I did not like (to large and heavy). Thus far I am really liking the 360ii, it's significantly smaller imo, next to my Cactus RF60x it's almost half the size! I don't think people quite fully understand how compact and light the 360ii is, it feels quite at home in the K-1 hotshoe.
I came close to the M400 as well, but I'm glad I got the 360II, more versatile than the M400 I feel.
10-22-2018, 04:58 AM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I'm glad I got the 360II
Almost the same thing here. I could hardly justify the cost of the 360 II for the occasional wireless PTTL, but I found a 360 v1 for a really low price (75$) so I went for it.

It seems to work well as a controller. As always coming from the Metz 52 AF-1 I find switching options with Pentax's flashes ridiculously convoluted (there are so many switches and buttons to press just to switch from wireless PTTL to optical slave manual that I cannot remember it). It does work, however, and it makes an inexpensive and reliable solution.