Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2016, 12:58 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yongnuo problem

I have been working on the flash off camera for the upcoming wedding. I seem to have mastered the manual setting on the speed lights, and getting it right. My dilemma now is the Yongnuo 560 1v speed light. I seem only able to get one burst from it and then it will not work again. I have checked every thing I can think of, but to no avail. Interestingly the older Yongnuo, which is essentially a slave, seems to work and keeps firing away. I'm not using it as a slave, but with a receiver triggering off the camera. The setting on this one, are simply M 1 2 and I have it set on M. The later model just goes once then shows the battery as flat,, but it's not.
So, first: shall I just use the old one, find out what's wrong (hopefully here) with the newer one, or try to borrow, beg, steal a second Pentax flash?
Thanks, in advance
trish

07-06-2016, 04:10 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Unfortunately Yongnuo often fail flashes ... are not reliable, it is common to simply stop firing, or only do so at full power ...
The flash on the hot shoe of the camera must be in M mode, and the shutter speed should not exceed 1/160.
Tried shoot it with the "test" button without the camera?
07-06-2016, 06:03 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I own two Yongnuo flashes and so far both have been reliable. I do notice that repeated operation on full power does not work well. Reducing the power to 50% provides more reliable repeat flash. The type of battery could also be affecting your output. I am currently using eneloop pro rechargeables and have an 8 cell external battery pack for each flash unit.
07-06-2016, 06:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The affordable price of Youngnuo makes up for its reliability. I own 3 and recently broke the bounce card and diffuser. Not a big deal since the flash still works. I am happy they only cost me $70ish .

07-06-2016, 06:38 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gaston Quote
Unfortunately Yongnuo often fail flashes ... are not reliable, it is common to simply stop firing, or only do so at full power ...
The flash on the hot shoe of the camera must be in M mode, and the shutter speed should not exceed 1/160.
Yes I have tried on and off camera, but to no avail. And all settings as you say. Seems I am beset with problems with darn flashes.

---------- Post added 07-06-2016 at 06:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
I own two Yongnuo flashes and so far both have been reliable. I do notice that repeated operation on full power does not work well. Reducing the power to 50% provides more reliable repeat flash. The type of battery could also be affecting your output. I am currently using eneloop pro rechargeables and have an 8 cell external battery pack for each flash unit.
Yep, tried with half power. And using enloops. Very frustrating.

---------- Post added 07-06-2016 at 06:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
The affordable price of Youngnuo makes up for its reliability. I own 3 and recently broke the bounce card and diffuser. Not a big deal since the flash still works. I am happy they only cost me $70ish .
I have an older one and the newer one. The older model seems to work, so I might just have to use that one. I'm not totally sure if it gives enough power, but shall try it out.
07-06-2016, 01:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi Trish, sorry to hear the Yongnuo is not working well ... In your earlier thread about the HSS you ended up by saying you had a Pentax and Yongnuo flashes. Can you not just use the Pentax one now also?
07-06-2016, 08:13 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Hi Trish, sorry to hear the Yongnuo is not working well ... In your earlier thread about the HSS you ended up by saying you had a Pentax and Yongnuo flashes. Can you not just use the Pentax one now also?
HI, mcgregni, yes, I will use the Pentax, and was hoping to use the Yongnuo 5601V as the second light, but that now seems to be a no go. The older Yongnuo is working so will have to use that as the second flash. I was just a bit worried about the latter not being as good as the later model.
I had another play this morning and it is getting quite bizarre: When I simply have the 560 in my hand and use the test button it flashes away time after time, but on the camera, or off with trigger it is a no go. One flash and that's it.
I am now about to send an email to the company and see if they have any answers. I was intending to use the older model as a slave for a back light. Thanks for the reply.

07-07-2016, 01:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

So it sounds like an issue related to the triggers .... ? Does the camera take the shots even though the flash does not fire ?

I'm not familiar with Yongnuo equipment, but others here certainly are. Perhaps if you gave some more very specific details of the trigger set-ups and settings, even a picture of it all, that might help someone to spot an issue somewhere.

---------- Post added 07-07-16 at 08:57 ----------

Another thing to check is to try the flash working on the camera hotshoe directly. If it works ok and you can adjust it's power ok when on the cameras then its probably fine, so the triggers would likely be the source of the problem.
07-07-2016, 02:19 AM   #9
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by Gaston Quote
I have a kit of four YN560IIIs, pair of 603NII triggers and a 560 TX Remote, about $350 total. Only problem I've ever had was a failed AA battery. I use them a lot and don't baby them. And if one dies who cares, it's $65. The only flash I've ever had die was a Pentax 540FGZ that I bought new for $400, After a few years, it really melted down internally to unrepairable. The YN 560IIIs with recycle much faster. Just sold my last 540 on eBay.
07-07-2016, 02:33 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yeah, I have three and a TX trigger. Never had a problem, if we're plotting data points. :-)

07-07-2016, 03:08 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The flash is reported as working with its test button, so I'm not sure that we can be certain we are dealing with any sort of equipment failure. Is there a configuration aspect with the triggers, or flash setting, that needs close looking at. I myself didn't understand the settings that Trish originally reported ... Something like 'M 1 2', whatever that means?

---------- Post added 07-07-16 at 10:15 ----------

And just to add to the useful statistics here, I have never had any Yongnuo item fail on me .... Although I've never actually had any Yongnuo item .... Not sure if that affects the data or not .....
07-08-2016, 10:19 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks for the input everyone. No reply from the service department, which is no surprise really. The situation now becomes even stranger. I am wondering if Mcgregni might be right and it's a configuration problem? For the past four days all has failed except when I simply have the flash isolated and fire the test button. I had another try this morning and all working. I did not consciously check in which order I turned things on, so now about to try different variations to see if that changes anything. I know the Acon had a set pattern, so it will be interesting to see if that has any bearing at all.
Watch this space!
Trish

---------- Post added 07-08-2016 at 10:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
The flash is reported as working with its test button, so I'm not sure that we can be certain we are dealing with any sort of equipment failure. Is there a configuration aspect with the triggers, or flash setting, that needs close looking at. I myself didn't understand the settings that Trish originally reported ... Something like 'M 1 2', whatever that means?

---------- Post added 07-07-16 at 10:15 ----------

And just to add to the useful statistics here, I have never had any Yongnuo item fail on me .... Although I've never actually had any Yongnuo item .... Not sure if that affects the data or not .....
Ah, that was the older model which was M S1 S2 ( I neglected to put the S) so it is simply Manual and slave 1 or 2, no other settings than that. That one seems to work fine.

---------- Post added 07-08-2016 at 10:45 PM ----------

Well just tried every different setting possible and every which way worked. I can only assume that gremlins have been at work. Now the concern is that it decides not to cooperate at the wedding! Oh, well still some time to go until August. We shall have a few more test runs before then and if it continues to decide to work only now and then I shall fall back on the older model. Thanks everyone.