Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2008, 06:46 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Wondering about a flash....??

I'm trying to find a flash for my K100D.....my dad was into Photography awhile back and he's got a couple flashes that he used to use on his film camera....he's got 2 Vivitars...one is a Vivitar Electronic Flash 1900 and the other is a Vivitar Auto Thyristor 283 - he has no manuals or guides with them any longer and I'm wondering if I can use either of them with my DSLR? I know voltage is a big deal (I don't want to fry my camera!) - I am shooting a wedding in a couple weeks and I finally was able to go the church today and I DEFINITELY need another flash for my camera!

If those flashes are no good, can anyone recommend a good, cheap flash...just something to get me by for a while?

Thanks so much!!!

07-19-2008, 07:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, if you are willing to play around a little with a non P-TTL flash, you should be able to find something that will work for you. The Vivitar 285 HV's are pretty popular, and I think you can still get them new at B&H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/61441-REG/Vivitar_233965_285HV_Auto_Flash.html
07-19-2008, 07:55 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
With it being a non P-TTL, do I have to do anything different with my camera or anything like that? It totally does not matter to me whether it's dedicated Pentax or not (as I'm looking for something cheap)...but I don't know if I need anything special for it or not? Do I just hook it up to my hot-shoe and I'm all good to go? Thanks for the help, Stratman!!!
07-19-2008, 08:23 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I haven't played around with flashes, but I did save a website that I ran across reading either this forum or dpr. It should help with picking an older flash to see if the voltage is in the safe range.

Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

07-19-2008, 09:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

you'll just have to mess around with it in different situations, and work with it until you get the exposure right. I have a cheapie, and usually set it to "auto" mode, and then adjust the f stop until i get a good exposure. that's the advantage of digital, you're not wasting film experimenting
07-21-2008, 05:59 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So I was looking on B&H and I found this (Sunpak | Auto 355 AF TTL Flash | 035P | B&H Photo Video) and am wondering if this is okay? I don't quite understand the controls and how they connect with the camera settings and whatnot yet so I'm trying to figure out if this will be a decent flash for my DSLR? I plan on buying it soon! so if anyone has any advice/pros/cons, I'm all ears!

Thanks!
07-21-2008, 07:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If you can confirm that the voltage level on the vivitar 283 is safe for your camera (probably in the 6-10 volt range if it is like my vivitar 285) then that would be a good wedding flash - all sorts of pros shot with the 283 on film cameras. The flash just clips onto the camera's hot shoe and all you need to do is choose the correct auto range setting.

Practicing with the flash first is essential if you want to get decent photos. You should be able to set the auto range on the 283 to the aperature you have set on the camera/lens and then rely on the flash's onboard light sensor to automatically provide the right amount of light. I think that the 283 has 3 or 4 different settings (using the dial on the front, they're colour coded) but it has been quite a while since I last saw a 283.

Practicing with bouncing the flash and otherwise diffusing the light (possibly with something like an omnibounce or foam bounce diffuser, but there are lots of other options) if you can take the time to do so will also help to improve your lighting by making it less harsh.

07-21-2008, 07:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

As another suggestion, if you haven't shot a big event like a wedding before then make sure you take at least 2 to 3 times more batteries and memory card space than you think you need - nothing like having your batteries die or the flash recharge time hit 10 seconds+ part way through the ceremony.
07-21-2008, 07:47 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I looked into the voltages for the Vivitars and they are a no go. At least not on my camera at any rate...they are older - by maybe 15 years or so, so they'd fry my camera good if I used 'em! That's why I was looking at the sunpak one..It's a film flash but I'm gonna use it on my digital...I'm hoping it will be okay b/c I think I am going to order that tomorrow. I just am going to have to practice ALOT with it when I get it and try to figure out how to work it on my K100D...Wish me luck 'cause I've got absolutely NO clue as to what I'm doing!
07-21-2008, 09:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi Stacey, welcome to the forums.

I used an old flash with my K10D, a Focal M500CS-ZOOM, which I guestimate to be around 20 yrs old, and it worked fine. I did grab my voltage meter and ran multiple tests to verify the firing voltage was acceptable. Some flashes were known to vary from the normal voltages for the model/line so I didn't want to take any chances.

If you're going with non-pttl flashes, to get the best results you will want to switch your camera to Manual mode to use these types of flashes, old or new ones. That Sunpack should be fine power-wise but unless I'm mistaken that flash will not talk to the camera so you will have to go manual for best results.

FYI - Cameramanuals.org and butkus.org have tons of old manuals at hand.

No luck on the manual for the Vivitar 1900 but here's a link to the Vivitar 283 flash manual
http://www.cameramanuals.org/flashes_meters/vivitar_283.pdf
07-21-2008, 11:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I shoot with a non-pttl flash all the time with my K100d and usually once I get the aperture right, I don't have to change it all evening. Mine's the Pentax AF280t, I got it for around 50€.
07-22-2008, 10:13 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Stacey Quote
I'm trying to find a flash for my K100D.....my dad was into Photography awhile back and he's got a couple flashes that he used to use on his film camera....he's got 2 Vivitars...one is a Vivitar Electronic Flash 1900 and the other is a Vivitar Auto Thyristor 283 - he has no manuals or guides with them any longer and I'm wondering if I can use either of them with my DSLR? I know voltage is a big deal (I don't want to fry my camera!) - I am shooting a wedding in a couple weeks and I finally was able to go the church today and I DEFINITELY need another flash for my camera!

If those flashes are no good, can anyone recommend a good, cheap flash...just something to get me by for a while?

Thanks so much!!!
Hi,
I have a Like new out of the box Penax AF500Z auto zoom swivel head flash that I bought from B&H in march for $199.95. Used it 3 times..comes with case,instructions,in the original box. Asking $160 including USPS Priority shipping. reach me on cell 928.231.9294 or email cash4xl@yahoo.com Thanks Leigh