Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2016, 01:53 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Looking for a solid foundation for flashes on my K-1

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm new to flashes, but I've found that lowering my shutter speed, getting a faster aperture, and raising my iso can only get me so far.

Since I'm new, I was thinking that p-ttl can help me get started, I generally fall into the buy once, cry once camp when it can be helped (meaning I want a flash I can keep for the long-haul) and I found some deals on on the af-540fgz v1 online. ~200 to 230

I just wanted to double check and make sure that the 540 v1 worked well with the k-1. I've seen one flash review on this forum which mentioned that it was compatible, but I like to double check facts before spending over 50 dollars.

If there are any other flashes in that price range one could recommend with similar features and/or performance, I'd be all ears.

07-13-2016, 02:05 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi brokeh.... I can't help with the 540 v1 info, but I would recommend considering the Metz Mecablitz 52 AF-1 as one possible alternative. I have two of these - one for Pentax, the other for Sony. Having only started getting into using flash fairly recently, I've found it to be an excellent unit both for TTL auto and manual use. It's very solidly built, powerful and - once you get used to the slightly unusual LCD user interface - simple to operate. Here in the UK, I paid £149 for my Pentax-compatible unit, but I think (rather unusually) they're a little more expensive in the US...
07-13-2016, 02:08 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The original 540 is fully compatible. I've tested the original 360 and had no issues at all.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-13-2016, 03:34 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Hi brokeh.... I can't help with the 540 v1 info, but I would recommend considering the Metz Mecablitz 52 AF-1 as one possible alternative. I have two of these - one for Pentax, the other for Sony. Having only started getting into using flash fairly recently, I've found it to be an excellent unit both for TTL auto and manual use. It's very solidly built, powerful and - once you get used to the slightly unusual LCD user interface - simple to operate. Here in the UK, I paid £149 for my Pentax-compatible unit, but I think (rather unusually) they're a little more expensive in the US...
Unfortunately, among the deals I can find, I'd be paying twice as much for the 52AF1. I don't know if the price jump is justifiable.

07-13-2016, 04:34 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brokeh Quote
Unfortunately, among the deals I can find, I'd be paying twice as much for the 52AF1. I don't know if the price jump is justifiable.
B&H has it at $319.88, with a $40 mail-in rebate that brings it down to $279.88... still more than the deals you mentioned on the 540 v1, but not too bad. Also, with the dollar / sterling rate so favourable for US buyers right now, you can get one with free international shipping for $206 from Camera Centre UK (I've bought from them before, and they're fully legit). They have them listed on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metz-52-AF-1-TTL-Touchscreen-Digital-Flashgun-PENTAX...AAAOSwd3dXF3go

I'm not suggesting you should go for this over the 540 v1 - just passing along my good experiences with the Metz unit

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-13-2016 at 04:40 AM.
07-13-2016, 04:46 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
B&H has it at $319.88, with a $40 mail-in rebate that brings it down to $279.88... still more than the deals you mentioned on the 540 v1, but not too bad. Also, with the dollar / sterling rate so favourable for US buyers right now, you can get one with free international shipping for $206 from Camera Centre UK (I've bought from them before, and they're fully legit). They have them listed on ebay:

Metz 52 AF 1 TTL Touchscreen Digital Flashgun Pentax 4003915052047 | eBay

I'm not suggesting you should go for this over the 540 v1 - just passing along my good experiences with the Metz unit
You're absolutely right. When I checked ebay earlier, I could have sworn I could only find them for around 399, but when I rechecked, they were going for the prices you described.