Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2016, 11:16 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

YN560-IV and YN560-TX - Pentax compatibility

I'm considering getting a couple of Yongnuo speedlights and a TX control unit. Are there specific versions of the YN560-IV and YN560-TX that work with Pentax, or are they all one version that works on any recent camera? I see some advertised for Nikon, others for Canon, and yet others for Nikon, Canon, Pentax combined!

Thanks in advance...

07-17-2016, 11:37 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

I use the Nikon version of the YN560-TX, so far no problem with the K30, K3 and K1, as far i understand the Canon version have diferent ping location that it make the transmitter get stuck in the hotshoe, that happen to me with a Youngnuo Canon transmitter (dont remember the model) and the K30.

About the flash, all of the YN560 1,2,3,4 version are all manual with the center pin only, if you can purchase only the v3 as is more cheap than the v4 and are basically the same, maybe buy one v4 when you need 1 flash in the hotshoe

07-17-2016, 11:59 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have the YN-560-IV and it works fine. I think it works with all systems. The !V can be used as a master or slave what I can understand. But I have not done so only having one.
07-17-2016, 12:26 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
I use the Nikon version of the YN560-TX, so far no problem with the K30, K3 and K1, as far i understand the Canon version have diferent ping location that it make the transmitter get stuck in the hotshoe, that happen to me with a Youngnuo Canon transmitter (dont remember the model) and the K30.

About the flash, all of the YN560 1,2,3,4 version are all manual with the center pin only, if you can purchase only the v3 as is more cheap than the v4 and are basically the same, maybe buy one v4 when you need 1 flash in the hotshoe
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I have the YN-560-IV and it works fine. I think it works with all systems. The !V can be used as a master or slave what I can understand. But I have not done so only having one.
Thank you both - much appreciated

07-17-2016, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #5

With the Nikon version of the YN560-TX, the wake-up feature works on the Pentax K-3. However, the camera still has no idea that a flash is in use and will not limit shutter speed to below max sync speed of 1/180s. I do not know the behavior with the Canon version in either scenario.

The Nikon sync cord for remote trigger will not work with Pentax; you need the Canon (or any generic) ¼ inch stereo mini plug to do remote trigger (with an appropriate Yongnuo transceiver). Remember, the YN560-TX, although it is a transceiver, (in that it can receive a signal), neither it nor the YN560 IV flash guns have transmit buttons to half/full press to trigger the YN560-TX (although they have “test” buttons). The RF602, RF603 or RF-605 will work just fine (although I have not tried them personally, yet).

When using the Pentax Hot Shoe Adapter F (along with the Off Camera Shoe Adapter F & extension cable F5P/F5PL), and a YN560-TX is mounted on top, it must remain on for a P-TTL flash to work. Turning the YN560-TX off will immediately trigger the flash which will, from that point on, fail to trigger with camera shutter. Except for that caveat, they work well together. (Do not try in P-TTL mode, however, as the Yongnuo flashes may interfere with the P-TTL readings).

Along with two Sigma EF-610 DG Super PA-PTTL flashguns, I have one YN560-TX transmitter (Nikon version) and four YN560 IV flash guns. Will be buying more YN560 IV flashguns soon plus an RF-605N transceiver pair (they only come in pairs)..

P.s., Speedlight™ is a trademark of Nikon and Speedlite™ is a trademark of Canon, although Yongnuo and others seem to not mind using the term, “Speedlite” in reference to their flash guns.

Last edited by Logics; 07-17-2016 at 05:19 PM.
07-18-2016, 01:13 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Logics Quote
With the Nikon version of the YN560-TX, the wake-up feature works on the Pentax K-3. However, the camera still has no idea that a flash is in use and will not limit shutter speed to below max sync speed of 1/180s. I do not know the behavior with the Canon version in either scenario.
OK... but I assume that as long as I manually keep my shutter speed below 1/180s, I'd be fine, yes?

The Nikon sync cord for remote trigger will not work with Pentax; you need the Canon (or any generic) ¼ inch stereo mini plug to do remote trigger (with an appropriate Yongnuo transceiver). Remember, the YN560-TX, although it is a transceiver, (in that it can receive a signal), neither it nor the YN560 IV flash guns have transmit buttons to half/full press to trigger the YN560-TX (although they have “test” buttons). The RF602, RF603 or RF-605 will work just fine (although I have not tried them personally, yet).
I'm a little confused as to what this means for me... Are you saying that I wouldn't be able to trigger the camera's shutter and the flashes from the transceiver or flash units? If so, that's not an issue, as I'd be firing the shutter using the camera shutter button, or possibly my Pentax IR remote. Am I missing some other limitation?

When using the Pentax Hot Shoe Adapter F (along with the Off Camera Shoe Adapter F & extension cable F5P/F5PL), and a YN560-TX is mounted on top, it must remain on for a P-TTL flash to work. Turning the YN560-TX off will immediately trigger the flash which will, from that point on, fail to trigger with camera shutter. Except for that caveat, they work well together. (Do not try in P-TTL mode, however, as the Yongnuo flashes may interfere with the P-TTL readings).
Again, my lack of understanding shines through here! Can I ask, why would I use the transceiver with the Pentax Hot Shoe Adapter? In fact, what purpose would that adapter serve in isolation?

Many thanks for the detailed reply!
07-18-2016, 01:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Use the yn560tx nikon and the youngnuos 560v3 or v4 you will be fine, once linked (the more confusing step) you control as a dumb flash right from the transmiter, using 2s delay, remote, ir remore or you cellphone with the app

07-18-2016, 02:38 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
OK... but I assume that as long as I manually keep my shutter speed below 1/180s, I'd be fine, yes?
Yes! completely correct.

I'm a little confused as to what this means for me... Are you saying that I wouldn't be able to trigger the camera's shutter and the flashes from the transceiver or flash units? If so, that's not an issue, as I'd be firing the shutter using the camera shutter button, or possibly my Pentax IR remote. Am I missing some other limitation?
Again, correct. I also usually trigger my camera with the shutter release or the IR remote. But the shutter can also be triggered with a Yongnuo RF602/603/605 transceiver (had I had one). ;-)

Again, my lack of understanding shines through here! Can I ask, why would I use the transceiver with the Pentax Hot Shoe Adapter? In fact, what purpose would that adapter serve in isolation?
The only purpose for the adapter is for an off camera flash, using either the F5P or F5PL cord and the Off Camera Shoe Adapter F (not to be confused with the Hot Shoe Adapter F which goes on the camera, nor the Hot Shoe Adapter FG which also goes on the camera but has no has no pass-through connector).

I also have two Sigm EF-610 DG Super PA-PTTL flashguns. To trigger them, they either have to be in optical slave mode (Manual) or one of them needs to be connected to the camera in master/commander mode while the other one is in remote slave mode. The hot shoe adapter F has a P-TTL passthrough on top. I put the YN560-TX there and put one of the Sigmas on the off camera adapter up to almost ten feet away. (I have a 1m F5P coiled cord and a 3m F5PL straight cord).

Lately I have been using them in optical slave mode (which means, I have to go to each flash to adjust them) but with the Hot Shoe Adapter F → F5PL → Off Camera Shoe Adapter F, I can control the output of the Sigmas (to some extent) from the camera.

Many thanks for the detailed reply!
No problem. I may retire the Sigmas and buy more YN560 IVs and/or buy two sets of YN RF-605Ns to control them. (So far, they cannot work with the Cactus V6).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/41177-REG/Pentax_31022_Hot_Shoe_Adapter_F.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/112755-REG/Pentax_31046_Off_Camera_Sho...geID/accessory

http://www.adorama.com/pxhsafg.html

Attached Images

Last edited by Logics; 07-18-2016 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Added product links
07-19-2016, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
@virus3nt - thanks, Julio!

@Logics - thanks, Karim, this is very helpful, and the picture helps underline what you've described. I'm grateful for your help
07-21-2016, 07:56 AM   #10

Thanks for this thread. I am just before the purchase of set.

YN 560 TX (Nikon) + 2x YN 560IV for original K5. What I am intending to do is to trigger shutter with IrRC for long exposure where at the beginning or end I should have flash firing. Both flashes are of camera. Eventually I hope to trigger shutter and manually at my will to triger flashes. That should all work, no?

If the camera does not see the flash, and its more than 1/180 as long as I keep speed of camera and flash the same, would this be ok?

Thank you and greetings.