Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2016, 03:23 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
I gave the pursuit of wireless HSS on my K3 my best shot.

Hello all, This thread about the new Cactus triggers is very timely. I just discovered it today because lately I have been less relentless in trying to find a HSS solution for the K3 I bought when I got back into photography after a 45 year break. I shot Pentax back in the 60's before I quit photography as a serious hobby. So based on my affection for the brand when I jumped back in I didn't dig down I just bought a K3 trusting that it would be fun. I bought a couple of grand worth of glass and then reality began to set in. Why was my camera the step-child of the camera world? Why was finding solutions to have the same capabilities as my photography friends here in Costa Rica monumentally hard and often an impossibility. I have three ad360ws strobes and one 600ws that I can only shoot manually. I have a couple of Sigma EF-610 DG Super Flash speedlites (along with a bucket of manual Yongnuos) that I can shoot TTL and HSS with but I want powerfull HSS off camera etc, etc, You all know what it's like. So last night I pulled the trigger and ordered a Nikon D7200 and a few lenses to get started towards what I hope will be some painless fun. I want to practice photography as a creative art. I am really tired of what I have become.....a photographic supplies purchasing agent tasked with endlessly searching for solutions. I will keep my K3 and use it for landscape and conventional portraiture but I want to play with the big boys. I'll stop in from time to time to see if there are any solutions for my K3 and I hope you all are successful in all your pursuits. For now, the D7200 seems like a dependable model with a good reputation. I hope you guys find the golden fleece but at 75 I want my cake and I want to eat it now. ;-)

07-17-2016, 03:50 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tyee Quote
For now, the D7200 seems like a dependable model with a good reputation. I hope you guys find the golden fleece but at 75 I want my cake and I want to eat it now. ;-)
Good luck with your HSS quest, only now with the D7200. The rules for HSS are the same, regardless of brand, but perhaps Nikon's close flash integration and broader 3rd-party support will provide you with a workable solution.

Steve
07-17-2016, 07:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

HSS is available for Pentax now in the form of the Priolite studio strobes now. Priolite Brings 1/8000s Flash Sync to Pentax DSLRs Also, the new Cactus V6ii provides HHS for Pentax and is available from both B&H and Adorama. Adorama has a HSS/TTL trigger and receiver scheduled for release later this year for Pentax. Flashpoint R2 TTL 2.4G Wireless Remote System For Pentax FP-RR-R2-K-PN This system is designed to be used with both speedlights and Flashpoint XPLOR 600 HSS TTL Battery-Powered Monolight (Godox.)
07-17-2016, 08:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Best of luck - I hope your d7200 satisfies your flash needs. Please do report back on what differences you find.

07-17-2016, 09:04 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Being in Costa Rica and having to act as your own importer for things had to be frustrating. I can understand the desire to just get on with something more readily available and locally understood.
07-17-2016, 09:30 PM   #6
Forum Member

i'll pick up some cactus gear as soon as I can find it here. I'm only interested in HSS for outdoor work so need some lightweight speedlights.

hope you have fun with the nikon I dont want to pick up a body+glass from another manufacturer unless I really need to, but then I dont want to lose shoots because I cant do them either. I just love the ergonomics of my pentax bodies though. had a canon 5dmk3 on loan for maybe 6 months and ended up using it for just one photoshoot
07-18-2016, 12:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I completely sympatize with you. I also have been looking into wireless HSS. I saw that godox makes a cheap one, the X1 which is available for Canon, Nikon, and Sony but not for Pentax.
The reason behind it i dont not know. But sometimes it really sucks. All the workround really becomes annoying.

Edit. And even though the cactus v6 mk11 sounds promising it is expensive. and I think the godox does ttl too.

Last edited by Culture; 07-18-2016 at 12:13 AM.
07-18-2016, 07:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fwbigd Quote
HSS is available for Pentax now in the form of the Priolite studio strobes
And courtesy of the Acon R930 radio trigger, of course.

The Flashpoint [GoDox] radio trigger will be very interesting when it arrives for Pentax, but a bird in hand ...
07-18-2016, 04:39 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
I saw that godox makes a cheap one, the X1 which is available for Canon, Nikon, and Sony but not for Pentax.
The grass isn't always greener on the other side, though.

The X1 hardware isn't as ergonomic as the V6II hardware and the X1 firmware is constantly being revised. There is a never ending discussion of problems, bugs, workarounds and detective work posts on what an undocumented custom function may do at the respective TruthHavoc page.

If one does not need automatic exposure then I think the V6II (works with a large range of Pentax cameras, including the K-1) is the much better product.
07-18-2016, 05:33 PM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
IAnd even though the cactus v6 mk11 sounds promising it is expensive. and I think the godox does ttl too.
the cactus transceiver doesnt seem a bad price at all, only a bit more than the yongnuo 560tx, though thats comparing the price of the cactus in the usa verses the yongnuo here locally in romania. the cactus rf60 doesnt seem too bad either, obviously quite a bit more than the yongnuo's but i'd only need a couple of them with a 3rd s backup for occasional use.

actually just found the transceiver here online for about 93usd and the rf60 for 205usd which some decent savings when buying a few together. think i'll order a set this week.
07-18-2016, 07:32 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tyee Quote
I hope you guys find the golden fleece but at 75 I want my cake and I want to eat it now. ;-)

I and others are shooting wireless HSS on Pentax right now, Tyee, but if you're in the mood for spending money and hopping brands in search of some idealized platform, go for it.
07-18-2016, 09:51 PM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I and others are shooting wireless HSS on Pentax right now, Tyee, but if you're in the mood for spending money and hopping brands in search of some idealized platform, go for it.
you're using the cactus?
07-18-2016, 10:59 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zestoi Quote
you're using the cactus?

The Acon, Zestoi. Keeping it simple, like me.
07-19-2016, 12:02 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The grass isn't always greener on the other side, though.

The X1 hardware isn't as ergonomic as the V6II hardware and the X1 firmware is constantly being revised. There is a never ending discussion of problems, bugs, workarounds and detective work posts on what an undocumented custom function may do at the respective TruthHavoc page.

If one does not need automatic exposure then I think the V6II (works with a large range of Pentax cameras, including the K-1) is the much better product.
I have Godox flashes and triggers for my Canon gear and I want to say that it will be a huge step forward for Pentax if Godox will start producing TTL flashes and also triggers for Pentax.

While Cactus has V6 triggers and RF-60 flashes, Godox has an entire system and is quite reliable, despite some minor problems they had with X1 triggers (problems that were solved after the last firmware).

My AD180 flashes work very good and I can trigger them and control their power either with my TT685 flash, either with my X1T-C trigger.

And if you take a look at Godox system you will see a lot of interesting products for strobist. They also came up with another trigger which is very user friendly. It's caled Godox XT32.

I really hope they will start producing TTL flashes (and triggers also) compatible with Pentax.
07-19-2016, 12:29 AM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The Acon, Zestoi. Keeping it simple, like me.
nice lol, i never claimed to not be simple either the acon triggers look interesting, looks like they should be compatible with most any p-ttl speedlight? whether i can find them for sale over here is another matter mind you... though i could have family back in the uk post some over if they're available there.

---------- Post added 07-19-16 at 12:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
I have Godox flashes and triggers for my Canon gear and I want to say that it will be a huge step forward for Pentax if Godox will start producing TTL flashes and also triggers for Pentax.
just reread your post and realised you're in bucharest too i was starting to think nobody else over here shot pentax. until i bought my k3 2nd hand a few weeks ago from olx anyway

any other place to buy stuff here apart from f64 or ishoot?