Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2016, 04:01 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Thanks Tom Tom, perhaps I need a new Dental chapter as well ....

I'm also interested in surveying the '160' ringflash. Perhaps it might be due a new WR update ?

Thanks also Karl ..... I was aware of your table from before and was intending on referring to it. I decided against a table presentation in the Guide, mainly because I wanted to place the various flash features into practical user contexts. I'm not sure exactly how this can be laid out yet, but I feel it has to relate to various particular flash photography needs. A straight table presentation does not ask the question 'what do I need my flash to do, for me ?' I'm hoping to find a way of resolving this into a clear and usable format.
"Perhaps it might be due a new WR update?"

That would be great!

07-30-2016, 06:35 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The way I was able to use my Acon trigger for HSS is to put the trigger on one AF360 in the HHS setting turned to on position. The other 2 AF360's I manually set to correct wireless channel. I then set them to HHS and wireless positions. I was then able to trigger all three flashes. I know that this can be done by mounting the first AF360 on camera. I wanted to be able to use my 3 flash bracket and light modifiers without taking the chance of a misfire due to optically triggering the 2 wireless units. I want to be able to shoot portraits in bright sunlight using my 50-135 while getting the flash units close to the subject to negate the reduced GN from using HHS. I really just set it up in my living room to make sure I could trigger them. I plan on using the set up in the next couple of weeks outside on a bright day to test the results with light modifiers and to make sure it will trigger consistently. I will follow up to let you know my results and post a few images.
07-31-2016, 12:35 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
How many Acon units do you have macman? Are you saying that the Acon was on the camera with one flash on top of it?
07-31-2016, 01:10 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
How many Acon units do you have macman? Are you saying that the Acon was on the camera with one flash on top of it?
I had the Acon transmitter mounted on my K50. The one 360 was mounted on the Acon receiver with the mode switch to HSS and the power switch in the on position. The other two 360's mode switch was in the HSS position and the power switch in the wireless position. All three flashes (one on the receiver) were mounted on the three light bracket.

07-31-2016, 01:52 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ah, so only one AF360 was triggered by the radio system ..... the other two were working in 'P-TTL Wireless' mode, ie optically triggered with pre-flash. So you're using a mixed system. I think I will end up doing this as well with a Cactus set-up ...... we just have to place the radio triggered flash in the most awkward position, where the optical signals can't reach, and keep the optically triggered flashes in line-of-sight.

Bye the way, try it, but you should not need to set HSS on the slave flashes, only on the triggering flash. Also, does the Acon need to be specifically set to 'TTL-Passthrough' mode (like the Cactus V6), or is that active automatically as soon as you mount the flash onto it?
07-31-2016, 03:03 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have opened a new 'Development Thread' looking for feedback and advice on the 4th new Guide section listed here, concerning automatic flash photography. Please have a read through and tell me if I'm getting it right, or not ......

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/326958-automa...realities.html
07-31-2016, 09:53 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To be honest I have never changed any settings on my Acon triggers. My understanding from the manual is they come in PTTL mode. I have left them like that since I got them.
07-31-2016, 10:25 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok, thanks for that update Macman .