Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-29-2016, 11:22 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax Flash Guide, Planned Developments

As I’ve always intended, my ‘Guide’ to the Pentax flash system is an evolving resource and I am continually looking at how to improve it and add to the information and usefulness. I have always seen this project as collaborative as far as possible, and it has been fed with the ideas and knowledge of forum members who have helped answer questions and put things to the test, just as with the previous ‘Development Threads’. So that process continues now, and I offer up these ideas for the Guide’s development for your consideration and feedback. Please bring it on!

Rather than try and re-issue the entire guide again in the near future, I am thinking of issuing a separate ‘Supplement’ document containing the latest new material. This will avoid me having to redraw the whole guide again and ask everyone to download the whole thing. I hope the Supplement will serve us well in the meantime as a stand alone document referring just to the new key topics being covered. Ultimately I would re-construct the whole again into a new full version, absorbing the Supplement material.

Here are my ideas for the next additions to the Guide ....

A new Hotshoe Flashgun Comparative Analysis
This will aim to offer up reliable guidance on the suitability of the different Pentax system flashes (Including the Third Party models) for a range of common tasks and scenarios. I want to avoid a standard ‘table and box check’ type of feature listing, and rather take a practical, real life angle on it ….

So for example, there might be a section for models that offer full Wireless P-TTL ‘Master/Controller’ capability, including for HSS operation, then a list of current models that do in fact offer that. Then another that is for flashes with HSS capability, and 2nd Curtain Sync, Multi-Flash mode, etc ….The idea being that you can look for a feature you like, and the Guide will give a brief explanation of what the feature is for in practice, and then you can check if a flash you’re interested in is listed. This way you can narrow down a shortlist of suitable models that do everything you feel you need to accomplish.

These listings will bring in models such as the AF201 and Metz AF-26 so they can be compared against the larger models. I do not intend to list features of radio manual flashes (Yongnuo / Cactus etc) as that detail is still outside the scope of the Guide. Also the listings will be limited to the Pentax models back as far as the original AF-360/540FGZ models as well as all current third party options.

Mixing Flash Systems
This section will deal with the practicalities of combining a radio manual flash system with the Pentax P-TTL system, working in tandem. It will look at the reasons for doing this as well as technical considerations …. So for example, it will deal with the issue of needing a ‘P-TTL’ optical trigger signal to control a slave flash in HSS mode, and how this could be used to control a mixture of Dedicated system flashes and HSS capable radio manual flashes (eg via a ‘TTL Pass-through’ on a transmitter unit).

Also this section will deal with the metering aspects, the pre-flash, and individual systems flash exposure control in such configurations. There will be discussion on using ‘dumb slave’ optical trigger modes for daisy chaining simple flashes within a multi-system set-up, and using a ‘Hyper-sync’ technique with non-HSS flashes, both with radio control and a mixed P-TTL / Manual environment.

Update to New Radio Manual Products
Within section 2 (‘Dedicated System Flash & The Alternatives’) I will add information on the latest developments available for Pentax Cameras, such as the much discussed Cactus V6II, Acon and Priolite products ….. also I will attempt a summary of simpler manual systems to give guidance on what system to head for depending on your particular practical needs (eg do you need radio HSS with hotshoe flashes or studio strobes / do you need radio P-TTL etc, do you need group control etc ). This will offer up example products of each type without going into details of their operation.

Practical Automatic Flash Photography
This will be a new section following on from the current section 5 (‘The Camera:Flash & Exposure Modes’) dealing with the realities of automatic flash working. Its kind of in response to the many requests for help we see on the forums about flash exposure problems when operating the camera and flash automatically. I plan on talking about the metering technology and automatic flash / ambient balancing, the effects of auto ISO, and unrealistic expectations of what the camera can cope with when operated outside sensible boundaries or when the photographer is not in control.

Also some discussion on the affects on flash in auto modes to the AutoISO curve and the limits to the longest exposure times allowed for different focal lengths (without Slow Speed Sync).

The AF-160FC ‘Ringflash’
I hope to be able to show images of this unit as well as discuss its operations, and some practical tips. I don’t use this flash but I have had a couple of kind offers to borrow and try one which I will follow up and take on board experienced users advice. I may also try and include some comparative information on the Sigma alternative.

Cameras with No Built-In Flash (K3II / K1 … etc)
This new section will deal with the considerations for using flash with these flagship models, the implications for wireless automatic working and what specific features are needed on accessory units for this. Also it will look at the differences within the Flash Mode controls and the significance of these compared to cameras that do have a built-in flash, as well as new details on camera custom settings.

So those are the main new areas I will focus on. I hope you will find these things to be helpful additions to the flash guide. I have deliberately allowed an expansion of the coverage beyond purely ‘Dedicated System Flashes’ and P-TTL, to allow for more focus on the alternatives and the real life ways that Pentax Photographers mix flash systems for different purposes. Also of course we need now to have good coverage of the best radio remote flash systems, if just to help with general understanding and making buying decisions. But I won’t be going as far as actually detailing the practical workings of these other systems.

I’m looking for ideas and feedback of course, so please make those suggestions that come to mind. Some of this stuff is already the result of forum members input at earlier stages after the issue of the two versions of the Guide so far, both on forum threads and private messages. Thanks again to all those who did so.

Nigel

07-29-2016, 11:28 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know it's not what you're focusing on, but the older Sunpak DX-8R ring flash in manual mode works great on the K3II - fill for macro really has been revealing. I do look forward to reviewing your flash guide, it's by far my least competent skillset.
07-29-2016, 11:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, I'm looking forward to trying out the Pentax ringflash as well, something new to me! I suppose I have to draw the line at some point, and so older flashes are out of the scope. I am really looking at how the currently available new models fit into the system and how they utilise the Pentax-specific flash features. I'm aiming to keep the boundaries to the Pentax dedicated equipment, and with radio manual systems, then its about how they best interact with our cameras and support Pentax photographers specifically.

Thanks for your interest and I hope the new material will prove helpful once its ready.
07-29-2016, 12:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Looks good! The practical flash section is a very good idea.

07-29-2016, 12:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Carl. I'm hoping to get a range of real life feedback from peoples experiences of working with automatic modes. I will start a thread soon to kickstart this. I'll probably start off by saying 'this is how it SHOULD all work' .... then folks will jump on saying 'yeah, and this is how it ACTUALLY works !!'
07-29-2016, 02:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

They all would be great. I really like the idea of a ring flash, but the prices are from super cheap to way more than I would ever spend.
07-29-2016, 03:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, the Pentax one kind of comes in as a 'premium' product. .... It's highly rated though, from what I can see of various reviews and user reports around the web. I'm looking forward to seeing how the split tube ratios work and testing it's controls and exposure accuracy.

07-29-2016, 04:50 PM   #8

Thanks for your effort, it is appreciated my folks like me who are very weak in flash knowledge, what flashes work/don't, if i want to use off camera flashes etc...
I currently use a manual ring light for macro work. and a flash light for side/back lighting,,, Don't even ask...
07-29-2016, 05:41 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Love your flash guide I have read it cover to cover. I was doing some testing today with my 3 AF360's and my Acon trigger using HSS. I was able to trigger two AF360 flashes in HSS (wireless mode) with the one flash using the flash on the Acon trigger in HSS mode (in the regular on posotion. I was very pleasantly surprised.
07-30-2016, 09:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks jevans and macman As the Acon is a P-TTL radio solution then it makes good sense to include information about it .,.. I must admit that beyond the simple 'radio cable' for one P-TTL slave type of use, the practicalities of how it works have eluded me. There'a a very enthusiastic member, Andy888, posting information and videos about it, but sadly I struggle to understand a lot of it, although I appreciate that he tries hard when English is not his first language.

What is really confusing I think is that there seems to be different Acon models, one for the single 'radio cable' solution, and another for the multi- manual power with group control option ??? And despite trying hard to understand, I have not been able to work out if there is a multi-flash P-TTL control option from Acon, or whether for P-TTL you can only have one slave unit ? Do you have any information about this Macman? I would like to try and construct a decent 'Acon State of Play' explanation for the Guide, to really help us all make the right choices .
07-30-2016, 10:57 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
As I’ve always intended, my ‘Guide’ to the Pentax flash system is an evolving resource and I am continually looking at how to improve it and add to the information and usefulness. I have always seen this project as collaborative as far as possible, and it has been fed with the ideas and knowledge of forum members who have helped answer questions and put things to the test, just as with the previous ‘Development Threads’. So that process continues now, and I offer up these ideas for the Guide’s development for your consideration and feedback. Please bring it on!

Rather than try and re-issue the entire guide again in the near future, I am thinking of issuing a separate ‘Supplement’ document containing the latest new material. This will avoid me having to redraw the whole guide again and ask everyone to download the whole thing. I hope the Supplement will serve us well in the meantime as a stand alone document referring just to the new key topics being covered. Ultimately I would re-construct the whole again into a new full version, absorbing the Supplement material.

Here are my ideas for the next additions to the Guide ....

This will aim to offer up reliable guidance on the suitability of the different Pentax system flashes (Including the Third Party models) for a range of common tasks and scenarios. I want to avoid a standard ‘table and box check’ type of feature listing, and rather take a practical, real life angle on it ….

So for example, there might be a section for models that offer full Wireless P-TTL ‘Master/Controller’ capability, including for HSS operation, then a list of current models that do in fact offer that. Then another that is for flashes with HSS capability, and 2nd Curtain Sync, Multi-Flash mode, etc ….The idea being that you can look for a feature you like, and the Guide will give a brief explanation of what the feature is for in practice, and then you can check if a flash you’re interested in is listed. This way you can narrow down a shortlist of suitable models that do everything you feel you need to accomplish.

These listings will bring in models such as the AF201 and Metz AF-26 so they can be compared against the larger models. I do not intend to list features of radio manual flashes (Yongnuo / Cactus etc) as that detail is still outside the scope of the Guide. Also the listings will be limited to the Pentax models back as far as the original AF-360/540FGZ models as well as all current third party options.

Mixing Flash Systems
This section will deal with the practicalities of combining a radio manual flash system with the Pentax P-TTL system, working in tandem. It will look at the reasons for doing this as well as technical considerations …. So for example, it will deal with the issue of needing a ‘P-TTL’ optical trigger signal to control a slave flash in HSS mode, and how this could be used to control a mixture of Dedicated system flashes and HSS capable radio manual flashes (eg via a ‘TTL Pass-through’ on a transmitter unit).

Also this section will deal with the metering aspects, the pre-flash, and individual systems flash exposure control in such configurations. There will be discussion on using ‘dumb slave’ optical trigger modes for daisy chaining simple flashes within a multi-system set-up, and using a ‘Hyper-sync’ technique with non-HSS flashes, both with radio control and a mixed P-TTL / Manual environment.

Update to New Radio Manual Products
Within section 2 (‘Dedicated System Flash & The Alternatives’) I will add information on the latest developments available for Pentax Cameras, such as the much discussed Cactus V6II, Acon and Priolite products ….. also I will attempt a summary of simpler manual systems to give guidance on what system to head for depending on your particular practical needs (eg do you need radio HSS with hotshoe flashes or studio strobes / do you need radio P-TTL etc, do you need group control etc ). This will offer up example products of each type without going into details of their operation.

Practical Automatic Flash Photography
This will be a new section following on from the current section 5 (‘The Camera:Flash & Exposure Modes’) dealing with the realities of automatic flash working. Its kind of in response to the many requests for help we see on the forums about flash exposure problems when operating the camera and flash automatically. I plan on talking about the metering technology and automatic flash / ambient balancing, the effects of auto ISO, and unrealistic expectations of what the camera can cope with when operated outside sensible boundaries or when the photographer is not in control.

Also some discussion on the affects on flash in auto modes to the AutoISO curve and the limits to the longest exposure times allowed for different focal lengths (without Slow Speed Sync).

The AF-160FC ‘Ringflash’
I hope to be able to show images of this unit as well as discuss its operations, and some practical tips. I don’t use this flash but I have had a couple of kind offers to borrow and try one which I will follow up and take on board experienced users advice. I may also try and include some comparative information on the Sigma alternative.

Cameras with No Built-In Flash (K3II / K1 … etc)
This new section will deal with the considerations for using flash with these flagship models, the implications for wireless automatic working and what specific features are needed on accessory units for this. Also it will look at the differences within the Flash Mode controls and the significance of these compared to cameras that do have a built-in flash, as well as new details on camera custom settings.

So those are the main new areas I will focus on. I hope you will find these things to be helpful additions to the flash guide. I have deliberately allowed an expansion of the coverage beyond purely ‘Dedicated System Flashes’ and P-TTL, to allow for more focus on the alternatives and the real life ways that Pentax Photographers mix flash systems for different purposes. Also of course we need now to have good coverage of the best radio remote flash systems, if just to help with general understanding and making buying decisions. But I won’t be going as far as actually detailing the practical workings of these other systems.

I’m looking for ideas and feedback of course, so please make those suggestions that come to mind. Some of this stuff is already the result of forum members input at earlier stages after the issue of the two versions of the Guide so far, both on forum threads and private messages. Thanks again to all those who did so.

Nigel
Thanks for your hard work, Nigel. All of the above sounds great, but I have special interest in the AF-160FC. Though expensive, there is no substitute for good ring flashes for macro. I picked up a Pentax dental kit with the AF 080C ring flash and it's has completely changed my macro shots because it allows you to get shots that you cannot get with any other flash. That flash is full manual and you're best off using manual settings on the body. Hopefully next year I can afford a 160. Looking forward to seeing your updated guide!
07-30-2016, 11:22 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote

Here is the list that fits that topic:

And I suggest you make a little side trip to the extremely cheap old "automatic" flashes as well (a handful is included in the list). Many people nowadays think there are only either dumb manual flashes like the yongnuos or high sophisticated but expensive PTTL ones, but actually you can buy a $20 used flash which is doing the metering all for itself in "automatic" mode with its own light meter, so you do not have to do the try & error approach with manual power setting.
07-30-2016, 11:38 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Tom Tom, perhaps I need a new Dental chapter as well ....

I'm also interested in surveying the '160' ringflash. Perhaps it might be due a new WR update ?

Thanks also Karl ..... I was aware of your table from before and was intending on referring to it. I decided against a table presentation in the Guide, mainly because I wanted to place the various flash features into practical user contexts. I'm not sure exactly how this can be laid out yet, but I feel it has to relate to various particular flash photography needs. A straight table presentation does not ask the question 'what do I need my flash to do, for me ?' I'm hoping to find a way of resolving this into a clear and usable format.

Last edited by mcgregni; 07-30-2016 at 11:43 AM.
07-30-2016, 01:02 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I understand what you are saying.

I guess it needs both.
What you said is needed for people to understand when to choose what. A table is not good here.
And then once you know what you should be looking for you need a table to present the data to easily filter the right ones, as then you dont want to read through pages and pages of long text product descriptions.
As you can see there are dozens of features which could be the deciding factor for picking one flash.
07-30-2016, 03:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yep, you're probably right, it needs both styles. Perhaps the start point could be creating some categories of different flash scenarios, studio, events, indoors/outdoors etc and linking particular flash features to those situations .... So like saying ' outdoor portraits in changing light can mean needing rapid switching between normal flash and High Speed Sync in order to keep control of the background brightness' ... And within that section listing the flash units that would offer that capability.

Anyway, it's just ideas for now, and I appreciate any others thoughts and input as well.