Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2016, 03:17 AM   #1
Pentaxian

LIGHTNING : new PRIOLITE MBX500HS ULTRA in sight - kick-starter interesting prices !

PRIOLITE launches the new MBX500 Hot Synch ULTRA, which will be market's most resistant and compact 500W torch (20,5cm), via a kick-starter campaign :

Funding is alrerady exceeded, but if you are interested, launching kits/packs prices are pretty interesting :

example MBX500HS Ultra kit is priced USD 1130 versus more than USD 1600 for the curent MBX 500 HS kit.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/priolite/priolite-ultra-1-8000th-flash-sync-compact-li-ion

Reminder :

PRIOLITE High Sync system is a valuable portable, exchangeable battery fed lightning system allowing HSS speeds of 1/8000s with Pentax K-1 or 1/4000s with Pentax 645Z.

Synchronisation is possible for a maximum of 4 groups of 9 torchs each, with autonomous and distant regulation via HSS monitor fixed on the DSLR's body.

=> September 2016 Delivery, Only 3 days to go !!!

01-01-2017, 01:16 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, just to aknowledge that the production process for those torches took quite much more time than expected, due to some part supply significant delay.

I got my copy only yesterday, but it works fine and adds a few interesting functions - including a futurly implemented "USB" mysterious button - that make Priolite a cool worktool for Canon/Nikon/Pentax/Sony DSLR shooters.

It works also well with K-3.
01-03-2017, 12:10 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Well, just to aknowledge that the production process for those torches took quite much more time than expected, due to some part supply significant delay.

I got my copy only yesterday, but it works fine and adds a few interesting functions - including a futurly implemented "USB" mysterious button - that make Priolite a cool worktool for Canon/Nikon/Pentax/Sony DSLR shooters.

It works also well with K-3.
Good info. are you saying you ordered in Sept during the ultra kickstarter campaign and just received your gear??

I missed out on the special price deal but ordered the MBX500 HS ultra kit on Dec 19th, coming from Germany. I wonder if i should expect as long a wait as well.
01-03-2017, 11:44 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, that has been a 4 month wait, but as from a few weeks, you can now - sparsely - order the ULTRA from several websites where it is available, in small stocks

There are two sellers on Amazon.fr for example, at EUR 1,112.81 for one MBX 500 HS Ultra

Last edited by Zygonyx; 01-03-2017 at 11:53 PM.
01-23-2017, 09:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

hey mine arrived today! Only a month and a few of days. I'll unpack it and check it out tomorrow.
yea!
01-24-2017, 02:02 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Welcome to the club !
This one is my second to the former MBX500, and i plan to use both with a few tweaks as soon as possible
01-24-2017, 02:47 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I unpacked my MBX500HS Ultra (sold as Ultra2go kit) and fired it up today on my K3II. I will try it with the 645Z later. I first tested the ability to shoot shutter speeds up to 1/8000th sec, and I find this to work just fine out of the box without having to read the directions, lol. I do not notice any dark bands or sync issues, so am pleased that it works as advertised. I tested wide open portraits with A lenses in M mode and the controller is quite intuitive.

A couple questions if you don't mind opening some discussion here...

1) I have several M lenses (with aperture ring) and am not able to use these, as when the Priolite transmitter is turned on, the shutter speed on camera tops out at 1/180th and cannot go faster. Is this a function of using a non A lens, or something else?? Is having A information part of the communication process here?

2) After shooting a few, I lose control of my aperture, shutter speed, and ISO controls completely. That is, the dials stop working. Sometimes on playback the zoom dial stops working. This is solved by turning off the camera and back on and it resumes, but obviously needs to not be happening. Any experience with that issue?

3) The black cylindrical bag came with the light, but try as I might, I cannot make the light fit in there because the tilt mount is too obtrusive. I cannot figure out how to remove it without a wrench, so that can't be right, can it? Do I have the wrong bag maybe?

Thanks in advance for any help as I get on my feet here. Otherwise, the strobe is going to work for me.

01-24-2017, 03:55 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I tested the Priolite with the 645Z and am able to get even illumination across the frame with shutters up to 1/4000th. I did not experience the frozen dials issue with the Z.
01-25-2017, 01:06 PM   #9
oes

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
I unpacked my MBX500HS Ultra (sold as Ultra2go kit) and fired it up today on my K3II. I will try it with the 645Z later. I first tested the ability to shoot shutter speeds up to 1/8000th sec, and I find this to work just fine out of the box without having to read the directions, lol. I do not notice any dark bands or sync issues, so am pleased that it works as advertised. I tested wide open portraits with A lenses in M mode and the controller is quite intuitive.

A couple questions if you don't mind opening some discussion here...

1) I have several M lenses (with aperture ring) and am not able to use these, as when the Priolite transmitter is turned on, the shutter speed on camera tops out at 1/180th and cannot go faster. Is this a function of using a non A lens, or something else?? Is having A information part of the communication process here?

2) After shooting a few, I lose control of my aperture, shutter speed, and ISO controls completely. That is, the dials stop working. Sometimes on playback the zoom dial stops working. This is solved by turning off the camera and back on and it resumes, but obviously needs to not be happening. Any experience with that issue?

3) The black cylindrical bag came with the light, but try as I might, I cannot make the light fit in there because the tilt mount is too obtrusive. I cannot figure out how to remove it without a wrench, so that can't be right, can it? Do I have the wrong bag maybe?

Thanks in advance for any help as I get on my feet here. Otherwise, the strobe is going to work for me.
Mike,
I have the same issue with the bag and the ultra, I ordered a Standard canvas tube from the US web site and received a "Prio Gear tube Welcome" in the delivery from Germany 44cm height 18cm diameter. It is tight, I'm looking at using a Godox CB-09 bag instead to protect the ultra, at least it has room for extra item you may want to carry / store.
01-25-2017, 01:55 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hi Mike,

1) i had some HSS limitation troubles with my K-3 and finally got the attempted result in M mode, with DA20-40mm. No A or M lenses used yet, but I will try.

2) no dial problem up to now, but short time use

3) i got the Priolite bag separately, and yes you need to get rid of the tilting mount if you are gonna use it
01-26-2017, 08:47 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Hi Mike,

1) i had some HSS limitation troubles with my K-3 and finally got the attempted result in M mode, with DA20-40mm. No A or M lenses used yet, but I will try.

2) no dial problem up to now, but short time use

3) i got the Priolite bag separately, and yes you need to get rid of the tilting mount if you are gonna use it
thank you!

RE:
2) I shot several more yesterday with the K3II and the dial issue did not occur once. Perhaps a stuck contact?

3) Heard back from distributor and they report the grey tilt mount needs to be removed to fit into the bag. I will try this
02-25-2017, 04:18 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Been using the Priolite MBX500HS and it works very well. So much that I went ahead and purchased a second Priolite strobe to add to my rig.
I realized the little hex screw is easy to remove to allow quick removal of the swivel mount, so that is a non issue and it fits in the zipper bag/quiver. I used a jigsaw to carve up the custom fit foam from the shipping box to provide custom padding and rigidity to the bottom of the storage bag.
02-26-2017, 01:09 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
I used a jigsaw to carve up the custom fit foam from the shipping box to provide custom padding and rigidity to the bottom of the storage bag.
Same here
02-26-2017, 07:47 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Can a Godox AD600 coupled with Cactus V6II triggers do the same thing?
02-26-2017, 08:52 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I wouldn't say no, you always can read or ask here :

Pentax HSS with Cactus V6ii and Godox Witstro AD360 Flash Light Speedlite - PentaxForums.com