Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2016, 06:28 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax HSS with Cactus V6ii and Godox Witstro AD360 Flash Light Speedlite

Just received the Cactus V6ii from Adorama. Mounted the V6II on my Pentax K3ii plus the new Godox XT-16 Wireless 2.4G Power Controller Flash Trigger on top of the Cactus V6ii and set the Camera System on the V6ii to Pentax and the Flash System to Nikon Auto on the V6ii. Turned on the HSS mode on the Godox 360 and set the camera shutter speed to 1/8000 of a second. Bingo it fired the flash. Check the beautiful picture of my bedroom light fixture and read the Metdata. LOL

Unfortunately the orginal Cactus V6ii I ordered from the Cactus website is lost in the mail between Hong Kong and Chicago.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
08-06-2016, 07:43 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like you are doing something right. Nicely lit shot.
08-06-2016, 08:01 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Very, very interesting, Fwbigd ... thanks for the info and test result.

08-07-2016, 02:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Good to hear another Pentax HSS success story!

Excuse the ignorance sorry, but I'm assuming the Godox flash has its own receiver, and you need the Cactus because it is needed to pass the trigger signal through to the receiver on top?

I lost you also with the info about setting a Pentax and Nikon profile ... How can you have both on the one transmitter?

08-07-2016, 05:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Good to hear another Pentax HSS success story!

Excuse the ignorance sorry, but I'm assuming the Godox flash has its own receiver, and you need the Cactus because it is needed to pass the trigger signal through to the receiver on top?

I lost you also with the info about setting a Pentax and Nikon profile ... How can you have both on the one transmitter?
Correct you have two triggers. The Cactus V6ii mounted directly mounted to the camera. The Godox trigger is mounted in the Cactus V6ii hot shoe.

The Cactus V6ii is designed to be used with Canon, Fujifilm, Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic and Pentax cameras and flashes. The one unit allows you to set both the Camera System and Flash System that you are going to use. However, only the Nikon Flash System setting in the V6ii pass the signal to the Godox X-16 trigger correctly. If set to the Pentax Flash System it will not fire the Godox 360. If you set the Flash System to Canon it fires the flash late and will not sync with the camera. The Power of flash is controlled by the Godox X-16 trigger.
08-07-2016, 08:52 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
He is using the V6II as an "HSS enabler" to convince the camera that it should still provide a trigger signal even though the shutter speed exceeds the sync-speed and no P-TTL HSS flash is present on the camera.

He should, alternatively, be able to just keep the V6II on the camera and use a V6II receiver with the Godox flash. However, only a version that supports digital TTL (such as the Wistro AD360II-C) would then support remote power control with a V6II.

QuoteOriginally posted by fwbigd Quote
Unfortunately the original Cactus V6ii I ordered from the Cactus website is lost in the mail between Hong Kong and Chicago.
Have you contacted Cactus about it? I'd be very surprised if they weren't able to help somehow. Here's to hoping you are just experiencing a delay in delivery.
08-07-2016, 09:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks for those clarifications both.

08-07-2016, 10:04 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I wonder what effect we see here. Is it...
a) the result of "HyperSync", meaning that the flash duration and power is long enough to light the image
or
b) a "HSS" signal, where the flash actually flickers rapidly
Both options have advantages and disadvantages.

I think it was not stated explictly but I assume the Godox flash is a Nikon version, right?
08-07-2016, 11:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
I wonder what effect we see here. Is it...
a) the result of "HyperSync", meaning that the flash duration and power is long enough to light the image
or
b) a "HSS" signal, where the flash actually flickers rapidly
Both options have advantages and disadvantages.

I think it was not stated explictly but I assume the Godox flash is a Nikon version, right?
The Godox AD360 manual version non TTL. I just tried it on my Elinchrom BX500 RI with the Elinchrom Skyport Speed on top of the Cactus V6ii and it only works when you set the Flash System to Nikon as with the Godox AD360...I have no Idea why it doesn't work with the Pentax Flash mode on the V6ii. If you have the flash mode set to Canon it fires the flash but doesn't sync with the camera.

---------- Post added 08-07-2016 at 01:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
He is using the V6II as an "HSS enabler" to convince the camera that it should still provide a trigger signal even though the shutter speed exceeds the sync-speed and no P-TTL HSS flash is present on the camera.

He should, alternatively, be able to just keep the V6II on the camera and use a V6II receiver with the Godox flash. However, only a version that supports digital TTL (such as the Wistro AD360II-C) would then support remote power control with a V6II.

Have you contacted Cactus about it? I'd be very surprised if they weren't able to help somehow. Here's to hoping you are just experiencing a delay in delivery.
Yes Cactus is checking on their end. The USPS has been no help at all. I am sure it's lost in Customs in Chicago
08-07-2016, 04:52 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fwbigd Quote
The Godox AD360 manual version non TTL. I just tried it on my Elinchrom BX500 RI with the Elinchrom Skyport Speed on top of the Cactus V6ii and it only works when you set the Flash System to Nikon as with the Godox AD360...
What firmware version is your V6II running on?

Normally a non-TTL flash should be used with the "MANUAL FLASH" profile. However, the first firmware version had a bug that could be worked around by using a Nikon profile.
08-15-2016, 08:48 AM   #11
Banned

so with this Cactus V6 II, can one use Nikon or Canon flash with Pentax camera?

http://www.cactus-image.com/Cactus%20V6%20II%20User%20Manual%20%28EN%29.pdf
08-15-2016, 09:45 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dr_romix Quote
so with this Cactus V6 II, can one use Nikon or Canon flash with Pentax camera?
Yes, you can, as long as the flash model is supported by the V6II.

You can even use HSS on a Canon flash, but fire with a Pentax camera.
There is no automatic metering but HSS works across brands.

Most modern flashes from the supported systems should work even if there is no dedicated profile because the V6II has a generic profile for each of these systems. There is a profile editor with which you can fine-tune the power levels on a PC or Mac, if you want to.
08-16-2016, 03:51 PM   #13
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I just purchased the Cactus V6 II from B&H. I'm going to try it with my Metz 52-AF1 as well as the Baja B4, and the Elinchrom ELB400. I have the "action" head on the Elinchrom which has a very short flash duration so I don't expect it to work here. I wonder if it would work with Elinchrom's HS head? Elinchrom says you need the Skyport HS transmitter to enable HSS. Elinchrom supports Canon, Nikon, and now Sony cameras for HSS but not Pentax yet.
08-16-2016, 10:23 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dfp771 Quote
I wonder if it would work with Elinchrom's HS head?
As long as you can activate HSS on the head manually and it has a sync port for triggering, it will work.

Some Profoto and Jinbei strobes and Godox flashes do work with the V6II for HSS applications.

You could ask Cactus and/or other users at the Cactus community forum whether there is chance that the Elinchrom HS head will work with the V6II.
08-18-2016, 01:09 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe this could work with my elichrome quadra flash, I have EL-skyport speed trigger, or I can also use sync port..? I'd like to hot to have buy and extra HSS flash to do the trick. My elichrome supports HSS, not on Pentax thou...