Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2016, 06:43 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Any tethering solution for K-S2?

I know there's no tethering support within LR. I had hoped DNA's software might work but no love for the K-S2. PKTether doesn't seem to work either. I'm not necessarily trying to control camera settings via computer, simply preview shoots as they're taken in the studio on the large screen. I think one workaround might be a newer GooglePlay compatible Chromebook (there's only a handful so far) with Ricoh's Image Sync but don't know even that would work, and even if it did it seems no more reliable than a Flucard. USB to computer would probably be my preference.

So anyway if anyone knows decent solution I'd surely appreciate it. I'm probably missing something obvious since this is all quite new to me.

Last edited by gatorguy; 08-08-2016 at 06:50 AM.
08-08-2016, 06:47 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I know there's no tethering support within LR. I had hoped DNA's software might work but no love for the K-S2. PKTether doesn't seem to work either. I'm not trying to control camera settings via computer, simply preview shoots as they're taken in the studio on the large screen. I think one workaround might be a newer GooglePlay compatible Chromebook (there's only a handful so far) with Ricoh's Image Sync but don't know even that would work. So anyway if anyone knows of a solution I'd surely appreciate it.
Try Image Sync using phone or tablet. Android or Mac type devices.
RONC
08-08-2016, 07:15 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rechmbrs Quote
Try Image Sync using phone or tablet. Android or Mac type devices.
RONC
Thanks for the suggestion and yes I'd considered a tablet, but if there's some cabled solution that would be my preference. I don't find Image Sync all that reliable, tho in a pinch it's better than nothing. If Image Sync would connect more consistently (and stay connected) it would be workable but that's not been my experience.
08-08-2016, 07:21 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the suggestion and yes I'd considered a tablet, but if there's some cabled solution that would be my preference. I don't find Image Sync all that reliable, tho in a pinch it's better than nothing. If Image Sync would connect more consistently (and stay connected) it would be workable but that's not been my experience.
Turn off your phone/tablet's other data connections if you don't know how to disable Smart Network Switch.

You can also HDMI to a monitor ifreview is all you really wanted.

08-08-2016, 07:34 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Any good?

FlashAir? - TOSHIBA Memory
08-08-2016, 11:59 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know of any other solution. Your best bet would be to either use a smartphone/tablet, or an android emulator on a PC. The Wi-Fi is pretty stable- definitely more reliable than the FluCard, and with a longer range.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-08-2016, 02:26 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I don't know of any other solution. Your best bet would be to either use a smartphone/tablet, or an android emulator on a PC. The Wi-Fi is pretty stable- definitely more reliable than the FluCard, and with a longer range.
I'm guessing you've not had much of an issue with connecting to (and maintaining one) for Image Sync then? I would not dismiss the possibility it's me and something I'm not doing correctly, but I've no idea what if so. That's why I was looking for a physical connection. I'll give Image Sync another serious look, but also use a spare monitor from work to see how HDMI would work out.

Thanks Adam for letting me know not to waste further time looking for some software solution other than those mentioned already. I kinda figured as much.

08-08-2016, 02:33 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm guessing you've not had much of an issue with connecting to (and maintaining one) for Image Sync then? I would not dismiss the possibility it's me and something I'm not doing correctly, but I've no idea what if so. That's why I was looking for a physical connection. I'll give Image Sync another serious look, but also use a spare monitor from work to see how HDMI would work out.

Thanks Adam for letting me know not to waste further time looking for some software solution other than those mentioned already. I kinda figured as much.
Like I said, it's rather stable and you probably won't get disconnected unless you go quite far away with the camera. As for wired tethering, it looks like those solutions are being limited to the K-1 and 645Z at the moment. Third-party plugins offer limited support, and they're not something I'd recommend using in a studio setting.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-08-2016, 03:34 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Pktriggercord is looking for testers for K-S2. You might want to contact Andras....
pkTriggerCord

see Testing after the Supported Cameras list.
08-08-2016, 05:47 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This how to connect your camera to your phone/tablet for Image Sync: Connection Method / Image Sync / APP / DOWNLOAD / SUPPORT | RICOH IMAGING

These are words I've suggested that Pentax add to the K1 connection instructions (*** not sure all apply to your camera):

Connection
In the communication device Setting>Wifi set the wireless LAN (Wi-Fi) function to ON.
Look for networks connected to the device and disconnect them.
Turn on the camera followed by turning on the camera Wi-Fi. ***
In the communication device Setting>Wifi connect to the camera's network. ***
Start Image Sync.
The [Choose a Device] screen appears on the communication device.
Select the camera you are using.

Please report back if this is helpful or leads you down a path of frustration.
RONC
08-19-2016, 04:22 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here's what I've decided. Found a Dell Professional 190S 19" 4:3 monitor refurbished for $50 at Amazon. 9' Mini-hdmi to DVI-D cable for $13 and a VESA swivel wall mount for $9. Cheap enough to see if it serves my purpose so it's all on the way. Thanks @Clackers for the suggestion!
08-19-2016, 09:56 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's what I've decided. Found a Dell Professional 190S 19" 4:3 monitor refurbished for $50 at Amazon. 9' Mini-hdmi to DVI-D cable for $13 and a VESA swivel wall mount for $9. Cheap enough to see if it serves my purpose so it's all on the way. Thanks @Clackers for the suggestion!
No worries, mate, glad to have helped. You did it economically, too. :-)