Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-12-2016, 01:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Manual Flash Wireless Triggers - Australia

I bought a Metz AF 52-1 Flash and have a basic Sigma flash for my K-3ii.

Where in Australia can I purchase wireless (the GHz type) flash triggers for manual operation? Any recommended brands while I'm at it. Don't need TTL so only looking for reliable performance and a local outlet.

Down the track I'll upgrade the Sigma flash too but one step at a time for now.

Thanks in advance.

08-12-2016, 02:29 AM   #2

Hi jawsy, hope this helps, http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod1202.htm
Cheers
John
08-12-2016, 02:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It does, thanks. I searched that website, but obviously constrained my search.
08-12-2016, 03:27 AM   #4
Banned

sold you Metz 52 and sigma. they are TTL flashes.

with the money. Buy really cheap flashes for a bunch. you can buy may be 10 manual flashes with their cheap manual trigger.

then enjoy manual.

Last edited by andy888; 08-12-2016 at 03:33 AM.
08-12-2016, 03:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by andy888 Quote
Buy really cheap flashes for a bunch. you can buy may be 10 manual flashes with their cheap manual trigger.
That's OK. I've owned the Sigma for ten years and decided to upgrade because I shoot mainly off the hotshoe for what I do. I've been wanting to play around with off camera flashes, hence the question about remote triggers.
08-12-2016, 08:23 AM   #6

They might not meet all of your criteria, but the Cactus V6 flashes and transmitter/receiver have worked very well for me.
Have fun playing with light!
08-12-2016, 12:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jawsy Quote
Where in Australia can I purchase wireless (the GHz type) flash triggers for manual operation?
For manual radio triggers without fancy features (like remote flash power control etc, like the v6 has), Cactus v4 or v5 are pretty affordable, and available in many places in Australia - eg Image melbourne, Cameras Direct etc.

08-12-2016, 03:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
For manual radio triggers without fancy features (like remote flash power control etc, like the v6 has), Cactus v4 or v5 are pretty affordable, and available in many places in Australia - eg Image melbourne, Cameras Direct etc.
I second this, I have 4 Cactus V5 units, they work with pretty much any flash from any brand, as long as there is manual power/zoom control on the flash itself you should be golden, OP said he just need basic trigger function so the advance features of the V6/V6II are not worth spending the extra $$ for.

Me on the other hand, are drooling over the wireless HSS capacity of the V6II...and willing to pay the premium for it, my flash collection is chaotic at best, Pentax AF360FGZII, Pentax AF540FGZ, Metz 48AF-1, Sigma 530DG Super and Sigma 500DG Super, wireless HSS on some of the older flash no longer work with newer Pentax bodies, so it will be nice to have a reliable radio triggering system that brings them back to life.
08-14-2016, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jawsy Quote
I've been wanting to play around with off camera flashes, hence the question about remote triggers.
You could get the Cactus V6II from Image Melbourne. They'd give you remote power control and zoom control (provided your flashes are supported; I'm pretty sure the 52 AF-1 is through a generic profile) .

If you don't need HSS (or don't want to pay for it; that IM price looks a bit high) then the V6 would be a cheaper alternative but the Metz 52 AF-1 is not supported in the Pentax version for remote power control. The advantage of the V6 over the V5 is remote power level control (for supported flashes) and better group control.

The V5 only has a poor man's group control: You can set one flash to channel 2 and the other three and thus fire them separately, but when the on-camera trigger uses channel 1, it will fire all channels (1-5).