Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
08-16-2016, 10:16 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Very nice.. yes, that's what I mean. If there is anything to improve, I would balance a bit more ambient light in the mix by cutting down a little on flash (use EV) to preserve the "moment"; like this one that I have done recently.
Small question, whats is the green thing on the dress? Is part of the watermak or is a light from the party?

08-16-2016, 10:37 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
Small question, whats is the green thing on the dress? Is part of the watermak or is a light from the party?
Good question (very observant), the dots on the dress are part of the party light (the dots are all over the places)... here is another one that shows as they turn down the lighting while everyone is in dancing mood.

---------- Post added 08-16-2016 at 01:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What he said ^^^

As for candids...my experience has been that it is only the first flash photo that is candid. As soon as you do it, you have blown your cover.

Steve
Very true... but still want to remain stealth during the entire event so people don't get tense (or uptight); I don't use flash diffuser (AF360FZGII is excellent for party photos).
08-16-2016, 10:48 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Good question (very observant), the dots on the dress are part of the party light (the dots are all over the places)... here is another one that shows as they turn down the lighting while everyone is in dancing mood.
Thanks for the answer.

08-16-2016, 11:43 AM   #34
Veteran Member

I am going to put some of this advice into use this weekend. the place is nicely lit so I will not be needing that much flash.
But its nice to use flash to get the subject pop out of the background.

One question though. will a pttl flash go off even if your exposure is above 0?

08-16-2016, 11:51 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What he said ^^^

One of the beauties of P-TTL flash photography is that it sort of frees you to use the aperture and shutter speeds appropriate for the ambient lighting and subject.

As for candids...my experience has been that it is only the first flash photo that is candid. As soon as you do it, you have blown your cover.

Steve
Obviously I'll need to experiment - but as a guest you often don't get the opportunity to check out a facility before the event - especially with the lighting that will be in place during the event.

I know what you mean about candids - My experience is that get enough people with cameras and unless you specifically call attention to yourself - or happen to be the designed 'pro', people will ignore you - - sometimes to the point of stepping in front of you and stopping.
08-16-2016, 12:07 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote

Yes, if the pop-up flash is raised or accessory flash is on the hotshoe and switched on, then they will always fire. There's always an exposure mode and power level set at all times. It might not be right, but it will fire regardless of the camera exposure settings.

I've often wanted a sort of ' quick off ' button, for the odd time I want to take a shot without flash but don't want to switch off the flash and lose the settings.
08-16-2016, 12:18 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
I am going to put some of this advice into use this weekend. the place is nicely lit so I will not be needing that much flash.
But its nice to use flash to get the subject pop out of the background.

It depends on what you want to achieve, I use flash often even in well-lit (or good enough) conditions. When the quality of lighting is subpar, flash (white) light helps to enhance the light and preserve truer color.

08-16-2016, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #38
Veteran Member

That's getting down to what it's all about. I've lost count of the number of times I've read a forum member (not here so much) say that they never need flash now, because their camera has such good high ISO performance and they can raise the shadows and reveal details without too much noise ....
08-16-2016, 01:23 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
That's getting down to what it's all about. I've lost count of the number of times I've read a forum member (not here so much) say that they never need flash now, because their camera has such good high ISO performance and they can raise the shadows and reveal details without too much noise ....

Most wedding services ban flash photography, so available light (sometimes highly variable in color and often pretty dim) - in short, either shutter speed is slow or ISO is pretty high, even with fast lenses. The K-3 is good, but certainly not a miracle. Yes, there are some amazing tools to reduce noise in post processing, but it is an extra step. And at any event where romance is in the air - the lighting is even worse. Flash to the rescue.
08-16-2016, 02:39 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Yes, those who say they don't need flash because their camera can handle high ISO and doing a better job than using flash probably don't know better... the majority of them are from the other camp with big and expensive cameras. They can claim "pro" status whatever they want... doesn't bother me, but I am just be happy with mine so are my customers. LOL.

---------- Post added 08-16-2016 at 05:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote

Most wedding services ban flash photography, so available light (sometimes highly variable in color and often pretty dim) - in short, either shutter speed is slow or ISO is pretty high, even with fast lenses. The K-3 is good, but certainly not a miracle. Yes, there are some amazing tools to reduce noise in post processing, but it is an extra step. And at any event where romance is in the air - the lighting is even worse. Flash to the rescue.
Yes, I agree and I am sure some (if not most) church services do not allow flash... and I can understand why... As a photographer, I need to find ways to do that when the lighting is inadequate... another case when it is almost completely dark (backstage) and very high back ceiling, with no walls to bounce flash..... here's one that I bounce the flash off my hand (no way I can do it with a heavy Canikon camera). IMO, it would be difficult to get the same photo with similar color as the one here without using flash.

Last edited by aleonx3; 08-16-2016 at 02:57 PM.
08-16-2016, 04:48 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
here's one that I bounce the flash off my hand
If I know the ceiling (or walls) won't work, and I'm driving versus flying, I have a half-gallon (approximately two liter) white plastic milk jug with the neck cut off and a couple short vertical slits so I can pull it over my flash head. I have no idea if it works as well as Gary Wong's flash adapter, but it does work for the few times I've used it and if cost me nothing (would have been trash otherwise).
08-16-2016, 07:57 PM   #42
Veteran Member

If I know the ceiling (or walls) won't work, and I'm driving versus flying, I have a half-gallon (approximately two liter) white plastic milk jug with the neck cut off and a couple short vertical slits so I can pull it over my flash head. I have no idea if it works as well as Gary Wong's flash adapter, but it does work for the few times I've used it and if cost me nothing (would have been trash otherwise).
I don't use any flash diffusers at all, just need something to bounce off. I think a "Michael Jackson" white glove (left hand only) is all I need if I am in a desperate situation.
and probably won't work too well if you have a grip (too heavy) on the camera. That's just for me.. YMMV...
08-19-2016, 11:15 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Here's a few cheap alternatives to bounce flash forward without being direct. They fold flat too, so they will fit in your luggage better than a milk jug. 😝

This is like the rogue flash bender, but much lighter (and cheaper). I have a Rogue large Flash Bender that's good for a stationary setup, but too heavy for on camera. This one is light enough that it works well and doesn't make the flash head flop.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201452853069

This isn't as adjustable, but should work better than a Michael Jackson glove. 😉 It's also very light and fits easily in my camera bag so it's there when I need it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/322122215664

I don't have one of these, but it looks like it would be another good cheap option.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/262387970517

Last edited by TheOneAndOnlyJH; 08-19-2016 at 03:50 PM.
08-19-2016, 09:21 PM   #44
Pentaxian

These StrobiStrip modifiers look good to me. When using multiple of them at the same time, they have usages beyond the typical rim light application.
08-23-2016, 08:58 AM   #45

Yes, if the pop-up flash is raised or accessory flash is on the hotshoe and switched on, then they will always fire. There's always an exposure mode and power level set at all times. It might not be right, but it will fire regardless of the camera exposure settings.

I've often wanted a sort of ' quick off ' button, for the odd time I want to take a shot without flash but don't want to switch off the flash and lose the settings.
This is not my experience with the Metz 64. In Flash P-TTL or P-TTL HSS mode, the Metz only fires if there is a gap "setting" to "metering" that requires flash light.

PS I have checked the K-70 user manual lately for some other topic. Under flash section it says that you can turn the flash off. On my K-S2 that option does not exist.