Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2016, 08:06 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Cactus V6

Hi everyone. I am a beginner to flash photography. Especially off camera flash. I already have the Photozuela Speedlight Montana C600. I am wondering if that speedlight will work with the Cactus V6? I am planning on getting the Cactus RF 60 and Cactus v6 transciever. Thanks, Joe

08-21-2016, 08:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That should work, it appears to have a regular hot shoe. If you are happy with the 38 guide number for your shooting, you could consider a second Photozuela and the Cactus V5, since you'll be shooting with the flashes on manual. That would be a budget alternative. The Cactus flash is quite nice, even compared to my Metz 58AF-2 that I use with the off-camera v6 unit. I like the Metz better, but not enough to justify the price difference.

You'll like the flexibility that the 56 guide number on the RF-60 gives you. You don't always need that much light, but when you do, it is nice to have it. Good luck, it is fun experimenting with off-camera flash.
08-22-2016, 03:33 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jjbacoomba Quote
I already have the Photozuela Speedlight Montana C600. I am wondering if that speedlight will work with the Cactus V6?
The flash will most likely work with the V6 but since it does not support TTL, you won't be able to remote control the power level with the V6.

A simple radio trigger that does not provide remote power level control can be had for a lot less money. You could consider the V5 that stens already mentioned.

If you are keen on getting the V6 and RF60 then you could integrate your Photozuela with either another V6 (used in a receiver role) or a V5. The disadvantage of using a V5 would be that it cannot be assigned a group so any time any group is active, it would fire. So a V6 would give you better control over when which flash fires. Potentially you could make an investment into a V6 already and at some point think about replacing the Photozuela flash with one that is supported by the V6 with respect to remote power control. It could be a used, old model from any brand supported by the V6, i.e., it need not necessarily be expensive.

BTW, note that the V6II supports HSS (and HyperSync), so if you anticipate that you want to break the sync-speed barrier at some point in the future, consider getting a V6II. It is also compatible with the RF60 and the latter supports HSS (and HyperSync) with the V6II.
08-23-2016, 06:03 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you Stens and Class A !! I think I may go with the RF 60 and a V6 or maybe 2 V6's. I am just starting in the world of flash and maybe one speedlight would be better to start with. I want to be able to use it off camera.I mentioned the Photozuela because I think a second speedlight would be great to have in the near future, Especially after I learn to use just one speedlight. I think I will wait and see how it goes before I consider HSS and Hyper Sync. Thank you both for your help.