Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2016, 09:09 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Given past price policies, I wouldn't expect the price to come down.

If you ordered the V6II from Cactus directly, it should come to 73 pounds + shipping, provided you won't have to pay customs fees.

Thanks, I'll have a look at their store ... Given the way prices are going here now following the 'brexit' stuff, I'm not holding my breath for many price reductions! (although, I did just bag a new HD Pentax D-FA 28-105mm courtesy of the SRS sale, 150 pounds off. ) Not bad. But sounds like it might be the best we are going to get here for a while ....

09-11-2016, 11:32 AM   #17

Hello everyone! Anyone here tired to use the Cactus V6 2 with 645z does it work in pttl? Can the Cactus be connected directly to a studio storbe an trigger? Would appreciate any insight in this.

Thanks!
09-11-2016, 11:49 AM   #18
Veteran Member

The Cactus triggers, both the V6 and V6II, are 'Manual' radio triggers .... they do not offer radio transmission of P-TTL automatic flash exposure commands. They offer remote control of Manual power levels for many types of flashes, including different camera brand types, and Flash Head Zoom also with the Cactus RF60 ..... the V6II brings remote Flash Head Zoom control also to Pentax and other Dedicated System types ... (you need a V6II on the camera hotshoe and one also one for each slave flash).

The main point of the V6II (for us here) is to offer radio triggering signals between a Pentax camera and HSS capable flashes, beyond the camera Max Sync Speed.... the original V6 does not allow that. You need two V6II units for this, one on the camera hotshoe and the other on the slave flash.The exception to this would be the Cactus RF60, with a firmware update, that can receive the trigger signal from a V6II transmitter and fire with its 'HSS Sympathy' mode.

You can 'Pass-Through' a trigger signal, including one beyond the Max Sync speed, with a V6II on the hotshoe and another systems trigger on top (eg one for a studio strobe system) in order to send a trigger signal to that strobe .... but the strobe system has to be able to support HSS to get true HSS illumination.If you don't need HSS, then the V6II is not necessary.

Last edited by mcgregni; 09-11-2016 at 12:04 PM.
09-11-2016, 07:21 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by iancx Quote
Anyone here tired to use the Cactus V6 2 with 645z does it work in pttl?
I haven't tried it but Cactus posted on their community forum that the V6II is compatible with the 645Z.

As mcgregni pointed out, however, you'll only get HSS from a V6II, not any of the other P-TTL features. In particular, there is no automatic flash exposure control. All settings are made manually.

QuoteOriginally posted by iancx Quote
Can the Cactus be connected directly to a studio storbe an trigger?
Yes, with a sync cable from a V6II receiver to the strobe.

If you don't want HSS then you might as well use a V6 which is a bit cheaper.

If you want HSS then your strobes need to support a manual switch into HSS mode (some Godox strobes do that, for instance) or your strobe's pulse must be at least around 1/125s long. The PCB Einstein model, for instance, always produces faster pulses, even in its slower "color" mode, and is hence not suitable. More traditional strobes (non-IGBT-based) should have a better chance of working, in particular at lower output levels.

If you want full P-TTL then you are out of luck. There are no studio strobes that support P-TTL.

09-12-2016, 01:41 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by fwbigd Quote
I have the latest firmware V1.1.003 and it still requires that the flash system be set to Nikon to use with my Godox AD360 and Elinchrom studio strobes in the HSS mode. I tried all the modes Canon, Pentax and Manual and none of the work. Only the Nikon Flash mode works.
Hi, I own a Pentax 645D, and a Godox AD360, the first version.

Do you know if the Cactus V6ii will work with my camera and flash?
I thought he only option for HSS was Priolite, and was about to buy one, but this option is a lot more expensive and heavy.

Which camera are you using? And what exactly are you using? Jut one Cactus V6ii? Your connecting it to the hotshoe on the camera? The connecting the Godox trigger ft16 to the hotshoe on the V6ii? And the he receiver to the Godox?

Any info would be great! Thanks in advanced.
09-12-2016, 07:48 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablo Villegas Quote
Do you know if the Cactus V6ii will work with my camera and flash?
I have answered your similar questions in a different thread.

The Priolite solution is not the only HSS solution for Pentax anymore. There is now also the V6II and if you are using P-TTL (not applicable for an AD360) then there are the P-TTL Acon triggers as well.
09-26-2016, 11:47 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I haven't tried it but Cactus posted on their community forum that the V6II is compatible with the 645Z.

As mcgregni pointed out, however, you'll only get HSS from a V6II, not any of the other P-TTL features. In particular, there is no automatic flash exposure control. All settings are made manually.

Yes, with a sync cable from a V6II receiver to the strobe.

If you don't want HSS then you might as well use a V6 which is a bit cheaper.

If you want HSS then your strobes need to support a manual switch into HSS mode (some Godox strobes do that, for instance) or your strobe's pulse must be at least around 1/125s long. The PCB Einstein model, for instance, always produces faster pulses, even in its slower "color" mode, and is hence not suitable. More traditional strobes (non-IGBT-based) should have a better chance of working, in particular at lower output levels.

If you want full P-TTL then you are out of luck. There are no studio strobes that support P-TTL.
Thanks for the info Class A!

11-09-2016, 01:59 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Reporting back after a long hiatus, happy to report that I just got a set of 4 Cactus V6II, and oh my word HSS works!

Tested on my usual skateboarding kit K-5IIs and K-30 and speedlites Metz 48 AF-1 Metz 58 AF-2 and surprisingly Sigma 530 DG Super, cameras set to M mode ISO200 / f8 / 1/500th, TX unit turn on after camera's on, speedlites all set to TTL mode,

Will have to do some detail testing on remote power control and compatibility with K-3 and K-1 later on.
11-09-2016, 02:36 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Good to hear! Happy HSSing ! Does the remote flash head zoom work also?
11-09-2016, 02:38 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
Reporting back after a long hiatus, happy to report that I just got a set of 4 Cactus V6II, and oh my word HSS works!

Tested on my usual skateboarding kit K-5IIs and K-30 and speedlites Metz 48 AF-1 Metz 58 AF-2 and surprisingly Sigma 530 DG Super, cameras set to M mode ISO200 / f8 / 1/500th, TX unit turn on after camera's on, speedlites all set to TTL mode,

Will have to do some detail testing on remote power control and compatibility with K-3 and K-1 later on.
I'm interested in how the Sigma 530 Super goes .....
11-09-2016, 12:33 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So far I've only tested basic function like firing OCF HSS off camera, and the setting I used were all for a specific use so I haven't tried remote zoom head control yet, will do a detail test later but need my light stands for consistent environment.

List of things that I will take a look at
1. Remote zoom / power control
2. Group Power control
3. Making sure there is no black bar...
4. See how this setup work in bright daylight
5. Compatibility with my cameras and speedlites, especially my 2 Sigmas 500DG Super and 530DG Super, the others all seems to be on the official supported list..
11-19-2016, 03:17 AM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Quick update, finally found time to perform a few functions/compatibility tests

Today's subject, remote power/zoom control

Pentax FGZ540AF(v1), HSS/remote power and zoom control all work, no need to set up(have profile build into V6II).
Pentax FGZ360AFII, same as Pentax FGZ540AF(have profile build into V6II)
Metz 58-AF2, same as Pentax FGZ540AF(have profile build into V6II), one thing though, the zoom head on the flash seems to be in APS-C mode, i.e. when zoom setting on V6II TX unit is @35mm, Metz 58 AF-2 on V6II RX unit will be @24mm
Metz 48-AF1, HSS works,no need to setup, remote power/zoom control need to manually select Metz 50 AF-1(for Pentax) profile before it would work.

Sigma 530DG Super, HSS works, but power/zoom control doesn't work with Pentax Auto profile on V6II, will keep trying later on with other profile to see if I can find a work around.

Will have to check black bar at different HSS shutter speed later when I got my flash stand back.

Last edited by elpolodiablo; 11-19-2016 at 12:42 PM.
11-19-2016, 03:57 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Thanks for the updates! The compatibility with Pentax flashes looks to be very complete and easy. Sigma and the different Metz models still seem to be variable, so I guess the best advice is to check here and on the Cactus forum specifically before buying. Hopefully someone might create a table of V6/V6II with flash compatibility soon.

The flash zoom display doesn't really matter I don't think. The main thing is that the actual physical zoom position goes to the width/spread of light needed. Off camera, really, I've never thought the focal length description for a flash head zoom has any real meaning, unless you convert it to an angle of view and somehow use that figure .... But in practice its just a case of using intuition initially and fine tuning.
11-19-2016, 05:40 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
Metz 58-AF2, same as Pentax FGZ540A(have profile build into V6II), one thing though, the zoom head on the flash seems to be in APS-C mode, i.e. when zoom setting on V6II TX unit @35mm, Metz 58 AF-2 on V6II RX unit will be @24mm
I think mcgregni is right when he says that this is just a matter of the displayed focal length. The 58 AF-2 does an automatic conversion to APS-C equivalent focal lengths per default.

Once the 58 AF-2 has connected to the V6II you'll be able to find a "Zoom Size" setting on the Metz. If you change it, the focal length shown by the 58 AF-2 will be the same as the one shown on the V6II.
11-19-2016, 07:03 AM   #30
Veteran Member

It's revealing that the zoom display settings on the older Pentax AF-540FGZ fall under the following category labels ...'35mm, 645, and Digital'. The flash was, with its support for the old film camera TTL system, intended for use on film SLRs, 645 roll film cameras, and the newer digital SLRs. But the 'digital' focal length figures are conversions to APS-C equivalents! So, the automatic assumption was that digital meant APS-C .... Well, it did for Pentax .....

Now, I guess K1 users will choose 35mm. Does anyone know if the flash chooses this automatically on the K1?