Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-08-2016, 05:08 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
The point about losing Auto 'A' mode on the latest Pentax models is usually made in these type of discussions .... And it's always pointed out that it is useful for automatic flash working with manual focus lenses. Many often say that the exposure accuracy is better than P-TTL. I'm not sure about that, but I do wonder if the loss of that older auto mode is really such a bad thing ......

In practice it really is quite a lot of faffing around, and adds a good bit of extra effort .... And we're already dealing with manual focusing, and possibly stop down metering as well, depending on the type of manual lens. Then you have to dial in your aperture and ISO onto the flash, as well as deal with those on the camera .... And any flash exposure adjustments require a good bit of mental figuring and trickery.

But then again, it's nice to have the option when needed .... right?
Yeah, I can even use my Pentax flashes on top of my Sony A7 as a result.

Off the camera is less convincing, of course - the flash and the lens have different views of the subject.