Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2016, 09:37 AM   #1
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Question for flash umbrella users

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I just recently got some inexpensive (but, actually, rather nice) light stands, along with a couple of umbrella diffusers, reflectors and flash cold-shoe brackets. The brackets (the weakest components of the set) have a hole through which you can mount an umbrella, but it doesn't angle the shaft, with the result that the flash head points at the outer edge of the umbrella rather than the centre.

Thankfully, the radio receivers I'm using also have an umbrella mount, and this angles the shaft quite a bit (certainly better than the flash bracket). However, even with the umbrella at full extension and the flash wide-angle diffuser pulled out, it's still not perfect (see attached photo).

A couple of questions, then:

(1) Is the illumination pattern below acceptable / what I should expect?
(2) Is there a reasonably-priced flash cold-shoe bracket with angled umbrella mount readily available?

Thanks in advance...

Attached Images

09-08-2016, 09:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I have the same problem with my cheap umbrella mount. What I do to correct this is putting toothpicks in the hole to angle the umbrella a bit. It's not perfect, but certainly better.
09-08-2016, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #3

Photos: Gallery
I like the Godox brackets. They not only hold the speed light more securely, they also get it closer to center axis. AND you can mount Bowens-style accessories (soft box) as well.

Under $20 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Godox-Bracket-Speedlite-Softbox-Honeycomb/dp/B00JS3MINC
09-08-2016, 10:07 AM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boblivious Quote
I like the Godox brackets. They not only hold the speed light more securely, they also get it closer to center axis. AND you can mount Bowens-style accessories (soft box) as well.

Under $20 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Godox-Bracket-Speedlite-Softbox-Honeycomb/dp/B00JS3MINC
That's it - that's what I'm looking for. Very reasonably-priced, too - thanks for this!

EDIT: ... and two of them now on order through Amazon UK

Last edited by BigMackCam; 09-08-2016 at 11:38 AM.
09-08-2016, 11:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Those Godox brackets are great!
09-09-2016, 08:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I just recently got some inexpensive (but, actually, rather nice) light stands, along with a couple of umbrella diffusers, reflectors and flash cold-shoe brackets. The brackets (the weakest components of the set) have a hole through which you can mount an umbrella, but it doesn't angle the shaft, with the result that the flash head points at the outer edge of the umbrella rather than the centre.

Thankfully, the radio receivers I'm using also have an umbrella mount, and this angles the shaft quite a bit (certainly better than the flash bracket). However, even with the umbrella at full extension and the flash wide-angle diffuser pulled out, it's still not perfect (see attached photo).

(2) Is there a reasonably-priced flash cold-shoe bracket with angled umbrella mount readily available?

Thanks in advance...
I use Westcott Triple Threat's with standard umbrellas, but also the Westcott Apollo Orb and Westcott Halo.

Also use Manfrotto 026 swivels . . . .

09-09-2016, 08:28 AM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
^^^ That's a nice setup... unfortunately, I'm only using one flash per umbrella, which would leave me with the same problem if I used that Westcott mount. Very nice, though!

09-09-2016, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

^^^ That's a nice setup... unfortunately, I'm only using one flash per umbrella, which would leave me with the same problem if I used that Westcott mount. Very nice, though!
Try these . . .

Kaavie Adjustable Hot Shoe Adapter with 1: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Ex-ProŽ Tilt and swivel Adapter: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

They're okay, not great, but they'll do the job.
09-09-2016, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ah, nice solution! Thank you!
09-09-2016, 10:05 PM   #10
Brooke Meyer

Thanks in advance...
Not to worry. It's a lot more important how you position your umbrellas and your ratios. Especially a shoot thru which is sort of a light bomb.
09-10-2016, 08:28 AM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, Brooke - good to know
09-12-2016, 04:55 AM - 1 Like   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
UPDATE: My Godox S-type brackets arrived this morning. As well as being much sturdier than the cheap brackets that came with the stands, they do exactly what I wanted - ie. they place the flash head as close to the centre of the umbrella as is realistically possible. Plus, the ability to use Bowens-compatible light modifiers will come in handy if and when I outgrow my shoot-through and reflector umbrellas.

@boblivious - thanks again for the info on these. Exactly what I needed!