Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2008, 03:02 AM   #1

Pre-flash to flash time lag?

Does anybody now the time length between preflash and flash in p-ttl mode? Can't find it anywhere on the net.

I would like to buy a new flash (so far I have metz 44 mz-2) with full head rotation and hss. I was considering metz 48 af-1, but it has no auto mode.

For night motorsports photography every part of a second matters, so is most expensive Metz 58 af-1 my only solution?

Of course I can go manual, but firing test shots of a road can't give me the idea how to set the flash when the car will be on it.

07-24-2008, 03:26 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I remember that it was somewhere in the 80 msec range, but others may know better. Your objects will be a few metres further away when the main flash fires.
There are many alternatives for flashes, but if "auto" is important to you, nothing beats the "auto" ease of use of the Metz 58.
07-24-2008, 03:59 AM   #3

Original Poster
In manual there is a difference in settings when shooting white and black car and you never know who will be next on the road. That's hat worries me...
Manual in other situations is not such a problem, you can usually take a shot again.

Just calculated: with 80km/h on a corner, during the lag the car drives 1,77m. Enough to miss the action or the focus point

Last edited by Raven; 07-24-2008 at 04:34 AM.
07-24-2008, 06:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raven Quote
Does anybody now the time length between preflash and flash in p-ttl mode? Can't find it anywhere on the net.

I would like to buy a new flash (so far I have metz 44 mz-2) with full head rotation and hss. I was considering metz 48 af-1, but it has no auto mode.

For night motorsports photography every part of a second matters, so is most expensive Metz 58 af-1 my only solution?

Of course I can go manual, but firing test shots of a road can't give me the idea how to set the flash when the car will be on it.
It is probably something on the order of the time it takes for the mirror to flip up.

i.e. the preflash occurs just before mirror flipup and the actual flash just after.

Since the mirror speed is the limiting factor here, I don't think the P-TTL flash will be any slower - that mirror has to flip up anyway.