Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2008, 10:00 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you don't want to include the entire post, just select and delete the undesired portion in the message text box that comes up when you click on the Quote button. Be sure to leave the bracketed terms–[QUOTE...] and [/QUOTE]. Standard web stuff.

06-11-2008, 05:03 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by christinelandon Quote
If you don't want to include the entire post, just select and delete the undesired portion in the message text box that comes up when you click on the Quote button. Be sure to leave the bracketed terms–[QUOTE...] and
Got it!
06-11-2008, 06:22 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Full answers to this FAQ

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Which Flash Units are Safe for Pentax DSLRs?
06-11-2008, 10:34 AM   #19

Original Poster
Hey,

I am offered a Pentax AF 15 flash at whatever price i pay..Is it safe to use it on k10D?? what price should i pay for it?? I dont want to cheat d owner nor get cheated)

thanks 4 ur comments..

06-11-2008, 02:22 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Hrishi,
The ground contact will be recessed in the groove on the side of the shoe. It completes the circuit. Since your K10D gives you instant feedback, you will have little difficulty selecting the correct exposure. It was harder with film, because you didn't get instant results. If the flash doesn't have a sensor that controls the power output according to the distance, you will have to adjust the F stop for each distance. I would not want to have to do that again.

Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by hrishi;
Big Dave,
I saw the center terminal of the hotshoe but I couldnt see the side terminal u mentioned

Here is a link (from another Indian- Yashica was very popular in India in film SLR days) to a forum which has a photo of the flash we are talking about..SO can u point out the side terminal for me...

[url=http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00N2nu:
Yashica Pro50 DX flash - Photo.net Casual Conversations Forum[/url]
another question- U will see the Strobe in the link- is it vvveerrryyy old? do u think it is way too difficult to operate?? (though I find difficulty levels of operating are highly exaggerated in photography!! May be because photographers come from too many different backgrounds n level of interests)
06-11-2008, 06:58 PM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote

If the flash doesn't have a sensor that controls the power output according to the distance, you will have to adjust the F stop for each distance. I would not want to have to do that again.

Dave
I understand it is going to be difficult, but atleast I dont have to spend a dime for it..I'm not of the kind who cribs, but sometimes I do wish K10D had TTL..there are so many good used TTL lying everywhere in Mumbai..

I will have to sell my guitar (n concentrate on Mandolin only!) if I have 2 buy any other photography gear..already spent $1500 on it this year..n as a student, its not justifiable..

hey, what about the Pentax AF 15..I couldnt even see a photo of it online..may be it is Pentax AF 16- the owner cant read properly..But then, AF 15 n AF 16 might be similar in operation..do u think it is goin to be any better than my Yashica? also, what price do i pay for it??
06-16-2008, 01:04 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Old Pentax AF400T looks good

QuoteOriginally posted by hrishi Quote
Dear Friends,
I am asking u because a person told me dat this flash might be very powerful and might damage the electronic controls of a DSLR...

I just measured my trusty old AF400T flash from the early 1980s. Trigger voltage is 7.17 volts at full discharge. Might not be an issue anyway since this will be attached to my K20D via the X-sync socket which may be better isolated than the hotshoe??

Jack

06-20-2008, 09:51 AM   #23

Original Poster
Hey, I came across Canon 277T flashlight which is extremely good..

I have to use the camera in Manual mode (which i use anyway) and match the ISO and Aperture of the flash to that of the Camera
and

BINGO!

I get the correct exposure!!!

No need to calculate distance at all!!!

Just hope to buy this one ASAP..As the owner himself bought it used for $50 10yrs ago, he cant ask me more..
06-20-2008, 10:33 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hrishi Quote
Hey, I came across Canon 277T flashlight which is extremely good..

I have to use the camera in Manual mode (which i use anyway) and match the ISO and Aperture of the flash to that of the Camera
and

BINGO!

I get the correct exposure!!!

No need to calculate distance at all!!!

Just hope to buy this one ASAP..As the owner himself bought it used for $50 10yrs ago, he cant ask me more..
Yup that's a classic "Auto" flash. Cheap and effective - less flexible than TTL for some crazy lighting setups but usually pretty consistent for one-strobe shots where you can easily face the flash unit's sensor at the subject.
06-23-2008, 11:41 AM   #25

Original Poster
Hey, that owner of the canon 277T flash has offered me another very good flash.

It is Sunpak Auto 422D (thryistor)..Its in excellent , new like condition..it comes with 2 accessories- Pentax module (PT-2D) and a Tele kit (TL-6)..he asks $100 for it..

I tried this flash..excellent results..works auto at ISO 100 at f/2, f/4, f/8: at ISO 200, auto at 2.8, 5.6, 11..

It bounces upto 90 degrees n swirls 170 degrees too..

Downside- it is bulky, heavy on my already heavy K10D..

anyways, considering it is powerful enough to enable me to use for birding n weak enough (it can be adjusted from full burst to 1/16th of its power) for macro n excellent for portraits it is still the best bet..

I know I have to decide whether to buy it or not, but wat I want u guys to answer is that is it worth $100?? CAn it be used off camera n in sync with another flash?? Is there another flash which is better than this one with more functions/features n in the same price range??

Please reply soon as the owner has little patience..
07-22-2008, 07:12 PM   #26

Just wanted to add my Philips P536 Thyristor CLS X to the list. Very rare Flash, I got mine in 1984, It has a very unique head, it's a drum that has a rotating lens for Wide, Normal and Tele, it can also rotate up and down, and the entire head can rotate. It also has a slot and came with several color filters. I also have a belt battery pack for it that can triple the time. It also has a lower Fill flash module. At ISO 400 it can reach out to over 80' with @ F2.8.

It was ok'd on the list, but I measured mine anyways just in case and never got over 4.8V. So I mounted it and took some test shots and it works fine on my new K200D.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 

Last edited by JETninja; 08-28-2008 at 02:32 PM.
07-22-2008, 07:27 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Just a quick note. I called Pentax USA support to inquire about using an old Pentax AF200S I have that came with my ME Super on my new K200D. I was told that any of the old Pentax brand flashes are ok on the new Pentax DSLR's. I did check the trigger voltage and it was between 7 and 8 vdc with fresh batteries in the flash.

Last edited by kkoether; 07-22-2008 at 08:30 PM.
07-22-2008, 08:24 PM   #28

kkoether, do you know if they were including the old Pentax-dedicated flashes that aren't actually Pentax brand? (...Or is that a given?)
07-22-2008, 08:30 PM   #29
Pentaxian

They told me it had to be a Pentax brand flash. I also edited my previous post.
07-23-2008, 01:33 AM   #30

using old flash units

there is a website called Strobist that lists the trigger voltages for many flash units.

On Pentax DSLRs you have to have a trigger voltage below 30 according to Pentax.

I may have two valuable tips for members. Firstly, I tried using an Achiever TZ250 unit with an optical slave trigger. It wouldn't work but worked fine with a Nikon SB22 flash. Both units are auto flash.

I found that the center pin on the hotshoe of the Nikon was positive voltage while the center pin on the Achiever was negative.

I rewired the Achiever unit to make the center pin positive and now it works fine with the optical trigger. The Achiever was a multi camera unit for film cameras with camera communication to the flash but does not communicate with the Samsung GX10 and I assume thus with other Pentax DSLRs.

The second tip is how to use different power settings with an auto flash that does not provide flash power output adjustment.

Set the flash on one of the two auto settings and cover the thyristor sensor hole with black tape. The flash will then function as a manual flash but with less output than the full manual setting.

The two auto settings are about 2/3s and 1/3 the power of the full manual setting. This is useful for close ups or secondary light on a subject.