Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2016, 04:41 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
AF360FGZ II reset?

I bought a Pentax AF360FGZ II a couple of months ago, and have been using it on both a K-3 and K-1 without problem. However, suddenly it no longer seems to recognize the camera (either one). In particular
  1. The auto zoom doesn't work, it just stays at 16mm.
  2. The shutter speed on the camera can be increased beyond the maximum sync speed. It won't fire in that case though. If the shutter speed is below the sync speed, the flash will fire, but the exposure is horrible. P-TTL doesn't seem to be operating correctly. (Yes, it is in P-TTL mode)

This is quite perplexing . I don't know why the flash has suddenly started doing this. It is as if the flash and camera are barely communicating. The first thing I looked for was a reset button on the AF360, but I can't seem to find one.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what could be causing this, or how the flash can be reset to "factory"?

09-20-2016, 07:20 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would start by checking the foot. Are any contacts pushed up where they might not make reliable contact?
09-20-2016, 07:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I would start by checking the foot. Are any contacts pushed up where they might not make reliable contact?
+1 what he said..
09-20-2016, 09:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You could also try it in wireless mode as a slave, and see if all functions ok like that .... Again, if that's all ok then it looks like a hotshoe issue.

09-20-2016, 12:44 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It works perfectly in slave mode. The hotshoe contacts were the first things I checked and cleaned. They look fine, but no improvement.

Can I ask anyone with this flash: of the 5 contacts on the hotshoe, 4 have a brass colour, but the front left one is silver, is that correct?
09-20-2016, 01:43 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
It works perfectly in slave mode. The hotshoe contacts were the first things I checked and cleaned. They look fine, but no improvement.

Can I ask anyone with this flash: of the 5 contacts on the hotshoe, 4 have a brass colour, but the front left one is silver, is that correct?
I just checked for you - and yes that's correct, front left one is silver.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 20-09-16 at 22:59 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I bought a Pentax AF360FGZ II a couple of months ago, and have been using it on both a K-3 and K-1 without problem. However, suddenly it no longer seems to recognize the camera (either one). In particular
  1. The auto zoom doesn't work, it just stays at 16mm.
I know it's banal, but anyhow: auto zoom is off when the wide angle panel is in use

Last edited by Caver; 09-20-2016 at 02:02 PM. Reason: added information
09-20-2016, 02:41 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Caver Quote
I know it's banal, but anyhow: auto zoom is off when the wide angle panel is in use
Wide angle panel not deployed.

Taking it for repair, as it's still under warranty.

09-20-2016, 05:17 PM   #8
Banned

you can push the flash to the camera to check contact.

Or the flash is broken inside.