Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2016, 07:30 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
But the main complaint about the AF201, as a built-in flash replacement, is the lack of Wireless control options.
I've never understood why anyone would buy the AF201. It's not even an incentive in bundles - B&H used to try including one as a special add-on but they've stopped doing it, I'm guessing because nobody bought them. For me, any flash that doesn't have bounce capability is a piece of junk.

09-23-2016, 07:36 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
For me, any flash that doesn't have bounce capability is a piece of junk.
I don't know what you mean here but I own an AF201FG and it has bounce flash and head even flips backward.
09-23-2016, 07:45 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I don't know what you mean here but I own an AF201FG and it has bounce flash and head even flips backward.
My bad, sorry. Was thinking of another flash.
09-23-2016, 07:51 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I find the AF201FG good enough for the work I do. I shoot macros of insects/flowers and it's powerful enough for my work plus, I don't use full or auto power settings, I've set it for 1/4 power. But for OP if he's looking for a flash with swivel head and wireless capability, don't buy this one as it has neither.

09-23-2016, 07:52 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I think it does bounce, but not wireless control. That is a feature that many users of built-in flashes value, and no doubt its inclusion world have increased the popularity a lot. But its a very small unit, so I'm not sure if that is a limitation causing a restriction to the wireless options ..... ? Or it is just a cost /marketing decision.
09-23-2016, 07:57 AM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I think it does bounce
Read post #17. I already answered that one. Post #19 gives how I feel about it. It was cheaper than a full wireless, swivel head flash but as I said, it works for me but probably would not for many who expect the two features it doesn't have.
09-23-2016, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

To be fair, the nearest equivalent alternative, the Metz 26 doesn't have the wireless control feature either, a further source of frustration.

09-23-2016, 07:58 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree with Adam - for most on-camera use.
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
AF360 II, or a metz 52

For off-camera, radio-controlled manual flash is superb. A modern manual flash (Cactus RF 60 or similar) is also a terrific way to learn and expand your creativity.
09-23-2016, 08:15 AM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by donlass Quote
AF201FG doesn't do it for me...
Explain? What does it not do?

To balance the conversion, for some reason there is no love yet for Sigma on this thread. I have been pleased with the EF-610 DG Super. It is full-featured at $255 USD. I got mine on sale for $230 USD.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-23-2016 at 08:49 AM.
09-23-2016, 08:53 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Explain? What does it not do?
Well, to be honest it's probably in part just an "user error". I don't need wireless at this point just a swivel head and more power would be nice. Without spending $400-$500

---------- Post added 09-23-16 at 11:57 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
EF-610 DG Super
Sold out at B&H .Sounds like a winner.
09-23-2016, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

Do you need P-TTL? Would you be comfortable with a manual flash? I was initially intimidated by manual flash (shooting in manual as well) but now it's second nature - you just need a starting point. You can get very high powered manual flash units (similar output to a Pentax AF540FGZII) for under $175 USD. In the case of the RF60 the radio transciever is built in already. Pick up a second unit (or a V6 transceiver) and you'll have a radio controlled set up as a bonus.
09-23-2016, 12:00 PM   #27
Veteran Member

To be fair, the nearest equivalent alternative, the Metz 26 doesn't have the wireless control feature either, a further source of frustration.
When I was looking at the AF201Fg I took a look at the Metz 26 as well, & the rearward tilt of the Pentax was the deciding factor since neither was a wireless controller, and I wanted a small flash. I use my Metz 52 when I need more power, but the 201FG is always with me. I also use a small flash cord when I need to do something more than tilt operation. Also the Pentax accepts a small soft box which is really useful when doing macro.
09-27-2016, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
The 201 is good for what it is - a replacement for the on-board flash with a bit more capability.

The 360 is much more powerful. That should be expected based on the battery capacity of both flashes.
The problem is that the 201 is not a replacement for the on-board flash as a P-TTL master, which was my main use for the puny pop up. There is now no compact option for this function on recent bodies with no built in flash. Pentax, please make a 202 with this functionality.
09-27-2016, 09:49 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
The problem is that the 201 is not a replacement for the on-board flash as a P-TTL master, which was my main use for the puny pop up. There is now no compact option for this function on recent bodies with no built in flash. Pentax, please make a 202 with this functionality.
This is why I bought a k3 not a k3ii. That and it saved about $250 per body then...
09-28-2016, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Drinkkeri Quote
Metz 52 has that annoying new control scheme, I would suggest getting the older 50 or 58.
By "annoying", you mean "generally (not always) faster to change settings" right?

QuoteOriginally posted by Fauxton Quote
Drinkkeri - could you provide a bit more information on your opionion of the control scheme? I was considering the Metz 52 and would like to hear more about what you find annoying.
Here:

Metz 52 AF-1 Flash Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I would gladly spend money for a lighter, cheaper version of the 210, with GN 13 or 15, no tilt or swivel. something simple and reliable to serve as a wireless control. Just an equivalent of the K-3's built-in flash (or any other camera's, really). Nothing fancy at all.