Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
09-22-2016, 09:28 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
AF201FG doesn't do it for me...

What's a good option without spending $500 on a flash?

09-22-2016, 09:39 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AF360 II, or a metz 52

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-22-2016, 10:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Would you suggest any Legacy flashes?
09-22-2016, 11:34 PM   #4
UMC

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by donlass Quote
Would you suggest any Legacy flashes?
Simply no. I have been using system flashes ever since Pentax came up with flash TTL in 1983 and I have always enjoyed the hassle-free usage of system flashes.

Now that Pentax has moved on to P-TTL, there is no point in purchasing a flash that doesn't support P-TTL (which includes all older Pentax flashes up to the quite good AF-500 FTZ).
Using flashes in the classic "Auto" mode is a pain, as this means that a small sensor in the flash tries to guess the amount of light needed - but this works well only if you do not use a tele lens or anything else that deviates from what the sensor expects.
Using flashes in TTL mode is not possible unless you use old SLRs or one of the 3 DSLRs capable of TTL (*ist D, *ist DS, *ist DS2).
Using flahses in manual mode is what most professionals do, but this requires a lot of thinking and experience.

Therefore my recommendation simply is invest the money and get a P-TTL flash from Pentax or Metz.

Last edited by UMC; 09-23-2016 at 01:41 AM.
09-23-2016, 01:03 AM   #5
Pentaxian

There are the "version 1" of the AF360 and AF540. But they have flimsy battery doors.
09-23-2016, 02:08 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
AF360 II, or a metz 52

Metz 52 has that annoying new control scheme, I would suggest getting the older 50 or 58.
09-23-2016, 02:39 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Drinkkeri Quote
Metz 52 has that annoying new control scheme, I would suggest getting the older 50 or 58.
Drinkkeri - could you provide a bit more information on your opionion of the control scheme? I was considering the Metz 52 and would like to hear more about what you find annoying.

09-23-2016, 02:52 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Fauxton Quote
Drinkkeri - could you provide a bit more information on your opionion of the control scheme? I was considering the Metz 52 and would like to hear more about what you find annoying.
The touch screen is flimsy and generally slower and ultimately a pain in the ass to operate, too dark in bright light and too bright in dark. It's a good flash as all Metz flashes but they really ruined the operation in my opinion compared to earlier straightforward button type scheme (which you could, with practice, operate even when not looking at the flash when it's not on camera). I have to admit that the new control scheme is not that bad if you use the flash only in P-TTL but I often use my flashes off camera with triggers and in manual mode so I may be biased.

All in all, I would rather purchase older 58AF used than a new 52AF(or 64AF)
09-23-2016, 03:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

UMC, good matter of fact sum up of the general picture above, and I agree with your advice .... Sometimes the financial savings from using old equipment have a price to pay in other ways.

I would personally try to avoid any characterisation of manual flash as for the professionals as I think the right choice of mode is really best based around the situation and how much control you have over things. I very much doubt that many of the thousands of flashes fired today at news and sports events, political speeches, corporate dos and even weddings, are actually in manual mode .... Far more likely TTL for those sort of fluid, dynamic sort of professional situations.

We're lucky with our latest 'Pentax flash units to have, in addition to P-TTL automatic mode, a full manual mode with an 8 stop power range, from 1/1 through to 1/256 .... Not many models offer that.

Of course, when we need multiple off -camera flashes and need the convenience of remote control from the camera position, then nothing beats a good radio manual system with group control. But for most on-camera and dynamic shooting scenarios, than P-TTL is going to be invaluable.

Last edited by mcgregni; 09-23-2016 at 03:16 AM.
09-23-2016, 04:05 AM   #10
UMC

I really hoped that Nigel (mcgregni) would enter this thread, At this stage I must say, his PDF on the Pentax flash system is really worth reading and it gives an excellent overview of what you can expect from different offerings.
09-23-2016, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks for those kind words UMC ..... Even though its about the Pentax flashes and system mainly, I've tried to include plenty of the ' 'why would I need to do this?' aspect also, as I think that when we're starting out it can be difficult to understand exactly when we night need a specific feature or type of flash.

For me, it's all about the situation.. Today I'm setting up for some baby shots, just at home (its my own baby!), and because its all static and prepared, I'm using the Cactus RF60 as main light in a softbox, and a fill light in an umbrella using the AF-540FGZII in 'SL2' slave mode, just responding to the light from the RF60 ....its simple but good for the situation, and fully manual exposure.
09-23-2016, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 201 is good for what it is - a replacement for the on-board flash with a bit more capability.

The 360 is much more powerful. That should be expected based on the battery capacity of both flashes.
09-23-2016, 06:20 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

But the main complaint about the AF201, as a built-in flash replacement, is the lack of Wireless control options.
09-23-2016, 06:33 AM - 1 Like   #14

On the advice of someone on this forum a long while ago, I picked up a Pentax AF280T on Ebay for under $20.00. This is a "Thyristor" (sic) flash, probably a rebadged, highly regarded, Vivitar 283, It actually works quite well in auto, especially when I need more power than my newer Pentax Flash. It tilts up 45, 65 and 90 degrees. and down 15 degrees for MACRO (closeup) work. Auto works well enough, but it has numerous manual adjustments when I have the time to flash a couple of test shots. Downsides? Yes, it is big, and sits straight up very high, and powerful enough to use inside sports facilities. And the "POP" when it goes off spooks the horses, wakes the dogs and stops all conversation within 20 yards. I believe there are better reviews on this forum.
09-23-2016, 06:44 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UMC Quote
invest the money and get a P-TTL
Yes it seems so but it just seems like a waste not to use the Legacy flashes I already own. I guess I just answered my own question.......