Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2009, 02:10 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fritzwd Quote
Ben:
This sounds exactly like what is happening on my Pentax K100d Super which is a p-TTL camera also with TTL as explained in the instruction book. It says if the flash used is not p-TTL it will default to the TTL mode. However, should the camera not automatically adjust the aperature (f-stop for the correct exposure? This does not seem to be happening. Am using a Quantaray 9550U with a dedicated Flash module for an auto focus camera. See my question at bottom of site.
I am a Pentax user since the first Spotmatic ( 1968 ) and still have loads of the old SMC Pentax lenses.

THanks
Bill Fritz
The camera cannot chose a matching aperture if you use a TTL-flash mode, which does not work with the camera. Depending on the flash module, this may work in AUTO-flash mode (which uses the flash's sensor, instead of the camera sensor). At least Metz flashes with SCA adapters transfer camera settings to the flash and vice versa. I am not sure about Promaster, though.

Ben

05-04-2009, 08:51 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fritzwd Quote
I purchased the above thinking it was the right thing. Not too sure. Even though there is a pre-flash, I don't think it is p-TTL. I am using the Quantaray Dedicated Flash ModuleQDA-PAF on a Pentax k100D Super, and it seem to only put out full flash output.
The only P-TTL module for the Quantaray QTB-9550U is the Promaster 5050DXF module.

Thank you
Russell
05-06-2009, 08:34 AM   #18
Inactive Account

DA-P

Russel / Ben

I see in other inputs to the website that the 9550U will work in auto, TTL, 1/16 and manual with the Ritz QDA-P, and that I need a Promaster 5050DXF to gain a p-TTL capability. I also think I saw a note from Russel that a 5050DVR would do the same and that this info is all avail from the Promaster web site.

Being new to digital SLR, what is the advantage of p-TTL over straight TTL, and are these Promaster modules only avail. on e-bay or other such sites, or are they avail. from retailers?

I assume my QDA-PAF is of little value. I did get all these at a Wolfe store that is going out of business, os the 955U and QDF-PAF and QDF-P totaled less then $75.

ANother question: Quantaray batteries in a Pentax K100D: I presume that the 2650 mah, 1.25 volt rechargable Ni-MH battery will work as will the specd 2500 mah bat.

Thanks for help to novice in Digital but long time Pentax user ( since '67). My latest prior was an ME Super.
Another Q: Are my Vivitar 3500 and Soligor MK-32A of any value except for manual or external flash. I think I read that the 3500 is safe to use on the camera (but why), but I cannot find anything about the MK-32A.

FYI, I also bought "doublers" for my K100 and for my daughters ( 2) istD's for $25 and a 50-200 SMC Takumar for $75 at Wolfe. Nikons and Cannon's went early but the Pentax's stayed around until later price incentives, so that was another advantage. Oh, also a new style screw-mount to K adapter that has a ridge to grab to remove it from the K, for all my old and especially for my 105MM, f-2 SMC portrait lense.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bill Fritz
02-09-2010, 10:56 AM   #19

Promaster 5050DXR Module with the Quantaray QTB-9500A

Has anyone tried the Promaster 5050DXR Module with the Quantaray QTB-9500A (also known as Promaster 5700)?

If so does it work with the Pentax K-x and does it support P-TTL. I currently have a TTL module for it and it fires at full power all the time in TTL mode on the K-x. Wondering if this module would fix that.

I've also heard that there is a tab that might need to be removed for the module to fit. I've seen posts of this module working with various flashes (which arent listed on the models specs), but none on the QTB-9500A. Any info is appreciated...

04-14-2010, 05:30 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NewK-x Quote
Has anyone tried the Promaster 5050DXR Module with the Quantaray QTB-9500A (also known as Promaster 5700)?
I have now bought a few 9500A flashes, so can now confirm the modded 5050DXR module works well with this model on my K10D and K20D.

Thank you
Russell