Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2008, 03:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Promaster Quantaray Flash Module

Picked up a cheap flash (Quantaray QB 6500A) with a Pentax module.
Problem is I'm not sure if this module does p-ttl. On my D it's not much of a problem since I'm certain it does TTL. Found references to the "look alike" module here:
Promaster
and it has a 5p base (actually 4 and ground rail).
How do you determine what "mode" the camera is shooting in (TTL or p-TTL)?
Anyways, anyone have some good hands on experience w/ this flash?
It's kind of weak (gn like 28) but I really only wanted the module for now.
Module has "MODULE PX" and "AF" as the only indicators. Has the big red AF assist light window on front.
On further review it is more likely that the module is just TTL w/ AF assist light. Still found nothing exact on the Quantaray module but there is a "lesser" Promaster AF module than the one I linked to above.
http://www.promaster.com/products/products.asp?CatID=150&CatSM=&SubCatID=9&C...OD&product=FTA
On the D the TTL at least functions and AF assist light. Doubt if it does p-ttl though based on age..... oh well, still was worth the 5 bucks...

Last edited by jeffkrol; 07-25-2008 at 08:57 PM.
07-26-2008, 12:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think, you can only confirm P-TTL-function, when using the module/flash on a solely P-TTL capable camera. In that cas a flash in TTL-mode (not P-TTL) will fire with full power all the time.

regards
Ben
07-26-2008, 07:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I think Promaster P-TTL module will work only with 5750DX, 5550DX, and 5250DX flashes. So if you have another flash, it should do TTL only. Check promaster's web site. They are listing module models there so you can get more info on the one you have.
07-28-2008, 09:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drabina Quote
I think Promaster P-TTL module will work only with 5750DX, 5550DX, and 5250DX flashes. So if you have another flash, it should do TTL only. Check promaster's web site. They are listing module models there so you can get more info on the one you have.
There are Quantaray (Ritz Camera store brand) units that match various Promaster modules. I do not know about the Quantaray 6500 series, but I know that:

Quantaray QTB-9500A = Promaster 5700
Quantaray QTB-9550D = Promaster 5750DX

The 6500A is probably one of the earlier Promaster models that is not compatible with the new DX P-TTL modules. Most likely you have a TTL-only (not P-TTL) module. If your module is also Quantaray branded, you definately have an older module as Ritz does not yet sell the Pentax P-TTL module that Promaster has.

07-28-2008, 09:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
There are Quantaray (Ritz Camera store brand) units that match various Promaster modules. I do not know about the Quantaray 6500 series, but I know that:

Quantaray QTB-9500A = Promaster 5700
Quantaray QTB-9550D = Promaster 5750DX

The 6500A is probably one of the earlier Promaster models that is not compatible with the new DX P-TTL modules. Most likely you have a TTL-only (not P-TTL) module. If your module is also Quantaray branded, you definately have an older module as Ritz does not yet sell the Pentax P-TTL module that Promaster has.
Thanks. Sad to see such lack of ANY real info on Quantaray though (not excluding yours. Just a full cross reference would be nice, and written specs/manuals on "stuff" )
Anyways having only a lowely D w/ TTL gives this module a little more value to me.
Now all I need is a better spec'ed compatable flash unit. The AF assist light worked fine though.....
One of the pressing issues was are the modules completely compatable?
Might have to buy a moduleless Promaster to find out...
07-28-2008, 12:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
One of the pressing issues was are the modules completely compatible?
Might have to buy a moduleless Promaster to find out...
I have been using the ProMaster 5050DXR module, US $50, with the Quantaray QTB-9550U, US $85 and QB-6550U, US $49 for a while. The 5050DXR module is keyed so that it won't fit into the older flashes like the 6500A.

I found a ProMaster non-digital Marcolume on ebay for less than I paid for the 505DXR, US $30. Wanting to try the 5050DXR module on the Macrolume and seeing that the key was only a bit of plastic, I used an Exacto saw blade to remove the tab. Mounting the 5050DXR on the Macrolume and testing showed the voltage was a safe 5.8V.

On a K10D and using the Tamron 18-250mm lens, the Macrolume appears to work perfectly for photos as a ring flash or mounted on the flash body itself as long as I wasn't using the Tamron at its close focus distance.

Trying the Macrolume for close shots with it mounted on the Tamron as a ring flash is not really workable as far as P-TTL goes. The photos overexpose unless the flash diffusers are set to the maximum, the lens is at f22 or above, and the camera's ISO is locked at ISO 100. I think from this, that the 5050DXR module can't drop the flash output low enough for close focus scenarios.

I made a diffuser out of white foamie in the same shape as the "eye" of the Macrolume. With it on the flash and knocking down the light output the Macrolume appears to work with P-TTL when used as a ring flash. I now have a zoom lens with a much longer minimum focus distance, about one meter, and on this, the Macrolume works perfectly without my home made diffuser.

The Quantaray QDA-P module is a cheap, US $15, nice to have module. When bought with the 9550U it brings the cost up to $100 and at that price RitzCamera pays shipping and sales tax. It probably cost $3 more to order it with the 9550U for me. It allows auto thyristor mode, TTL, 1/16 and full manual. The module has a three position level selector that appears to apply to all settings. It will work with any flash as it is not keyed.

The Promaster Slave module is expensive at a retail store, US $50, but I found a pair on ebay for a good price. The slaves are optical and are not digital pre-flash compatible. This makes having the Quantaray QDA-P nice to have for use with trigger flash. I have had some luck with the flashes recharging after the pre-flash in time for the main flash when using the on board flash in some testing, but have stuck to using the manual flash module. These modules are also not keyed.

A note on ordering the Quantaray 9550U and QB-6500U. For some reason RitzCamera changes the model's U to a D on ordering on line. When the flash arrives it will a flash with the 9550U model number. I went to two local stores first and had them dig out all the 9550Us looking for the website 9550D. I finally gave up and ordered on line getting the QDA-P in the bargain.

I think the most interesting cheap P-TTL flash is now the Vivitar DF400MZ P-TTL flash on ebay. At US $140 with tilt, swivel, auto zoom, and non-digital optical slave, all in one unit, it seems a good deal to me.

Thank you
Russell
07-28-2008, 02:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
I think the most interesting cheap P-TTL flash is now the Vivitar DF400MZ P-TTL flash on ebay. At US $140 with tilt, swivel, auto zoom, and non-digital optical slave, all in one unit, it seems a good deal to me.
That looks like it is re-branded Digital Concepts 925(?) flash aka Sakkar. The control panel definitely looks the same. Thanks for bringing this model up in your post. I am actually in a market for a P-TTL flash but do not have $300 for Pentax branded one.

07-28-2008, 03:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

That looks like it is re-branded Digital Concepts 925(?) flash aka Sakkar. The control panel definitely looks the same. Thanks for bringing this model up in your post. I am actually in a market for a P-TTL flash but do not have $300 for Pentax branded one.
I tried the Digital Concepts 925 and it was not P-TTL. My simple test was to use the 2 second timer/mirror lock drive mode. If it was P-TTL, I would have seen the pre-flash on mirror lock up and I didn't. This confused me because like everyone else I had heard the flash was P-TTL. My conclusion is that there is an ebay seller claiming these are P-TTL and people are accepting that as truth as they don't have a way to verify without buying one.

I bought mine through Walmart's website and was able to take it back. At US $119 it was too much to pay for a non P-TTL flash for me.

Thank you
Russell
07-29-2008, 05:34 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I tried the Digital Concepts 925 and it was not P-TTL. My simple test was to use the 2 second timer/mirror lock drive mode. If it was P-TTL, I would have seen the pre-flash on mirror lock up and I didn't. This confused me because like everyone else I had heard the flash was P-TTL. My conclusion is that there is an ebay seller claiming these are P-TTL and people are accepting that as truth as they don't have a way to verify without buying one.

I bought mine through Walmart's website and was able to take it back. At US $119 it was too much to pay for a non P-TTL flash for me.

Thank you
Russell
You right, $119 for non P-TTL flash is too much. You could get older thyristor flash for about $20.

But how do we know for sure that Vivitar is P-TTL? It surely looks very similar to the Digital Concepts flash. I would be willing to pay slightly more for the flash if it was available at local photo store (in case I would have to take it back). Unfortunately, Vivitar does not list where you can buy their photo accessories (only cameras).
07-29-2008, 09:16 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Great information here. Thanks all. This "ttl" or "p-TTL" designation by flash companies is unfortunately VERY misleading.
Anyways a flash shot w/ the cheap flash (Had to chimp it, no "auto" modes really work here. No earth shattering photo but it has it's moments I think.
07-29-2008, 12:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

But how do we know for sure that Vivitar is P-TTL?
Thread on dpr

Thank you
Russell
07-29-2008, 12:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Thread on dpr

Thank you
Russell
I have just briefly browsed thru the posts you linked to but I do not think they have definite answer if the flash is truly P-TTL flash. Here is what OP wrote:

QuoteQuote:
Well, the minimalistic instructions and the labeling on the unit itself refers to TTL, nowhere does it mention P-TTL. However, neither the K10d or any other current Pentax DSLR is compatible with the old TTL, so I'm assuming they must mean the newer preflash variety.
That's not a definitive yes.
07-29-2008, 11:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I have just briefly browsed thru the posts you linked to but I do not think they have definite answer if the flash is truly P-TTL flash.
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I was thinking this quote, from the same post you quoted, was confirmation:
QuoteQuote:
The flash definitely emits a preflash. They probably call it simply TTL so that they don't have to rewrite the manual or redo the printing on the units for each different manufacturer's flavor of TTL.
Thank you
Russell
05-03-2009, 08:38 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Quantaray 9550U with dedicated flash module

I purchased the above thinking it was the right thing. Not too sure. Even though there is a pre-flash, I don't think it is p-TTL. I am using the Quantaray Dedicated Flash ModuleQDA-PAF on a Pentax k100D Super, and it seem to only put out full flash output. The only way to adjust the exposure is to go to Aperture mode and increase the aperture manually. Not what i expected. Further, while the flash unit itself has a "zoom" feature with multi color f-stop selections, there is nothing on the total unit that correlates to the colored selections which tell you what f-stop to use at what distance.

Went back to Wolfe and purchased the Quantaray Dedicated Flash Module for manual focus ( QDA-P) which has a setting on the module to select the colors related to the f-stop selector on the flash unit, and it actually seems to work better in the auto mode than the -PAF module. That is, select auto mode on the camera and take a picture. The auto focus on the camera works, and this module has the eye on it that I believe adjusts the flash as it did on my Vivitar 3200 on a ME Super.

In frustration, I purchased the Pentax AF-200FG which is also clearly not p-TTL but does seem to work properly.

Anyone have the same experience I have had with the 9550U and the QDA-PAF flash module and if so, what was your solution or did you have to go to manual mode also. Even there it was an experience trying and adjusting to get it right on the second shot. Not very acceptable

Bill Fritz?
05-03-2009, 08:50 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Ben:
This sounds exactly like what is happening on my Pentax K100d Super which is a p-TTL camera also with TTL as explained in the instruction book. It says if the flash used is not p-TTL it will default to the TTL mode. However, should the camera not automatically adjust the aperature (f-stop for the correct exposure? This does not seem to be happening. Am using a Quantaray 9550U with a dedicated Flash module for an auto focus camera. See my question at bottom of site.
I am a Pentax user since the first Spotmatic ( 1968 ) and still have loads of the old SMC Pentax lenses.

THanks
Bill Fritz