Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-22-2016, 12:57 PM   #16

Watching this thread and hoping for a good solution for a K-1 and 3 Metz AF58 -2s!

01-13-2017, 07:32 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Metz has released its "Pixel King Pro"-based WT-1 trigger system.

However, currently support is for Canon/Nikon only. The next brand to be supported will be Sony. Recent announcements have not mentioned Pentax but hopefully that just means that there are delays, not that the support for Pentax has been cancelled.
08-01-2017, 11:43 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I really hope it will come this year as mentioned before. Still no news or hints from Metz it's coming for Pentax system and we are already in Q3 of 2017.
08-02-2017, 07:12 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
I really hope it will come this year as mentioned before. Still no news or hints from Metz it's coming for Pentax system and we are already in Q3 of 2017.
Looks like Cactus will beat them to the punch.

They have already released X-TTL versions for Sigma, Fuji, and Sony. The Pentax version is next and early testing has started already. When this free firmware for the V6II trigger will be available, the V6II will support full P-TTL.

08-02-2017, 07:31 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Yeah, I know, but still i have some nice metz stuff, and don't really want to mix. If wt-1 don't see its premiere till end of the year, I will jump ship to all cactus stuff.
04-02-2018, 10:50 PM   #21

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Metz and P-TTL

Do these work with Pentax P-TTL, HSS?
If there's a Metz trigger (receiver/tranciever) for Pentax I'll stop looking at all the chinese ones.
I have used Metz flashes for years - they'll last for ever! Only problem - they are expesnsive :-)
04-03-2018, 01:03 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

As said in the posts just above, we have not heard of the Metz trigger being released in a Pentax version yet. It's been a very long wait so far, and Cactus have stolen all the glory in the meantime

I would only buy dedicated system flashes if you specifically want to use one on -camera. Or, if the Pentax optical wireless system would be adequate for your needs, then two P-TTL flashes.

For more advanced and multi-flash off camera working, including P-TTL and HSS, then I'd recommend Cactus with their V6II transceiver and RF60x flashes.

04-03-2018, 01:50 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

I've mailed Metz few times about that WT-1 over last year and asked them on facebook about that, but well-they are unable to provide any info about availability of those triggers.
After a bit of play with RF60X and V6II I have already sold out all of my Metz stuff and going for my own Cactus stuff in few days. They are as good as Metz build quality, and work even better in terms of TTL and HSS metering. Aditional Power-Sync feature is just awesome option to have.
Another good point for cactus is that the AF assist beam works with those without any problems- Metz's does not work at all on recent Pentax cameras...
04-29-2018, 09:05 AM   #24

Sold all my Metz crap and went with Cactus flashes and trigger. The menus and set up are much more logical and easy to use but best of all it works flawless on a K-1 at less than half the price. Best lighting move I ever made with the only issue I have ever had is if I am less than about 2 feet from the flash most times it won't fire.
Attached Images

04-29-2018, 10:07 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Cactus has turned into a very good value and versatile system, yes, now with TTL/HSS also.

There's a "short range" mode setting within the Radio Setup menu on the V6II which should allow closer working.
04-30-2018, 10:31 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Cactus has turned into a very good value and versatile system, yes, now with TTL/HSS also.

There's a "short range" mode setting within the Radio Setup menu on the V6II which should allow closer working.
YES!!! I've tried it both ways on normal and short is better for sure. Long range on either setting even 100 feet away no problem they fire every time. The only time it bothers is at an event where I used to just hold a flash up over my head and fire the cam one handed. Now I put the flash on a mono pod which extends my reach a few feet and it actually works better for the images but not quite as handy to just drop the flash into my bag. I miss the 256 setting on the metz and I think at full power they had more kick but all in all it would take a heck of a lot from Metz for me to go back!
05-01-2018, 01:15 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by charchri4 Quote
I miss the 256 setting on the metz and I think at full power they had more kick but all in all it would take a heck of a lot from Metz for me to go back!
Have you tried activating the "Lo" power mode? Not sure it does anything on the RF60(x). For other flashes (on a V6II receiver) it definitely goes below 1/128, albeit not quite down to 1/256.
05-01-2018, 02:34 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Do you have current "06" firmware in your Rf60x flash unit? I've found that there is an update, but its not mentioned in change log as pentax related. Seems to work ok as I can tell. Btw -just checked- I'm able to get mine unit released as close as v6ii top hot shoe(with pice of tape as isolation for central pin) every time,in "short" mode. No problem to fire it form "reporter" handle hold in other hand also.
05-01-2018, 03:12 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
Btw -just checked- I'm able to get mine unit released as close as v6ii top hot shoe(with pice of tape as isolation for central pin) every time,in "short" mode.
Same here.

There might be some "blind angles", though, in certain circumstances at certain distances. I haven't experienced this myself but read about it on the Cactus community forum. It makes sense to me that very specific relative antenna orientations may cause a loss of signal. Such a situation would be easy to address, though, by a slight rotation of either transmitter or receiver.
05-03-2018, 06:44 AM   #30

I was not aware of the update but will check it out asap! THANK YOU!!!!