Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2018, 11:27 AM   #31

OK so I did the 006 firmware update and now I can't get them to fire from the v6ii. Even with the same set up in the flashes nothing so I tried resetting both to factory specs but no matter what I do they will not communicate. 3 hours of frustration just want to be done with pentax crap.

05-26-2018, 12:53 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Pentax crap? You’re referring to your Cactus equipment I thought ..... maybe your spelling auto correct got it wrong.
05-26-2018, 10:50 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by charchri4 Quote
OK so I did the 006 firmware update and now I can't get them to fire from the v6ii.
I believe your V6II is still running a "V1.1.0xyz" firmware which won't play with a "06" firmware on an RF60(x).

Either update your V6II to "PEN.A.001" (if you want a P-TTL option for your trigger and flashes) or just use a correct firmware variant on the RF60(x). It should be something like "205".

BTW, you can also "downgrade" so it would be easy to go back where you were.
05-26-2018, 10:52 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Pentax crap? You’re referring to your Cactus equipment I thought ..... maybe your spelling auto correct got it wrong.
Well, "Cactus crap" would make little sense as he earlier referred to it as "Best lighting move I ever made with the only issue...".

I can't see any reason to call any equipment to be of low standard when the current issue is most likely explained by using an incorrect firmware variant.

05-26-2018, 11:28 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Yes, I remember now, it was after making that best move ever that he got rid of the "Metz crap".
06-28-2018, 12:54 PM   #36

It's just soooo frustrating! The only advantage to Pentax is it's expensive and nothing works with it. I did get my flashes working that day and found it it the controller needed up grade to for them to work. Of course no where is it written you have to hold the menu button in on the controller when you power it for it to update so that took another frustrating hour. I still have no hss but that is in the set up I'm sure and just have not wanted to commit the 5 hours it will probably take to fix. Bottom line is lighting with pentax sucks.

So at the risk of a total break down trying to make it work is there any mono light I can use for a main light that will trigger with my cactus v6II and also fire a couple of RF60x for hair and kicker?

Last edited by charchri4; 06-28-2018 at 01:16 PM.
06-28-2018, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Of course no where is it written you have to hold the menu button in on the controller when you power it for it to update
Except in the V6II user manual under the section "Checking and updating firmware". I wonder why they hid it away there ?

06-28-2018, 10:39 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Of course no where is it written you have to hold the menu button in on the controller when you power it for it to update so that took another frustrating hour.
When I run the Firmware Updater, it gives me list of instructions ("Please follow the steps below:...").
In step 3) there is the instruction to hold down the menu button of a V6 series device.

Is that different for you?

I still have no hss but that is in the set up I'm sure and just have not wanted to commit the 5 hours it will probably take to fix.
Getting HSS to work normally doesn't require much effort.

What firmware version are you running on your V6II?
Is it V1.1.013 or PEN.A.001?

Only the latter will work with an "A06" firmware on the RF60X.

So,
pair "PEN.A.001" on the V6II with "A06" on the RF60X, OR
pair "V1.1.013" with "V104" (or later) on the RF60X.

is there any mono light I can use for a main light that will trigger with my cactus v6II and also fire a couple of RF60x for hair and kicker?
Every monolight with a sync-port will work.

You just have to use the correct connector cable; you'll obviously won't get HSS from a third-party monolight when using a trigger cable connection, though.

Currently, the only way to get HSS from a third-party monolight that doesn't directly support Pentax (some do) is to use its own HSS-capable trigger system and use trigger stacking with the V6II (which may not work, depending on the third-party radio trigger model).
06-30-2018, 12:49 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Here is an extract from my Review of the Cactus system posted in the 'Accessories' Review section of this forum ....

"Firmware Installation
This is a very simple and reliable process. The Cactus Firmware Software is installed onto a computer and the Cactus devices are connected with USB cables. The software auto-detects the Cactus units and displays the available firmware options. The desired choice is selected with a button click, it is then downloaded in a few seconds and then a single press on the ‘install’ button loads the firmware, also in just a few seconds.

The updates are performed with the batteries removed from the Cactus devices. The software prompts you with the process for each specific device.

One limitation of the ‘X-TTL’ firmwares is that they are not compatible with the older V6 transceiver. So if it is desired to mix flasheswith a V6 Receiver into a system also with a V6II, then the V6II needs to be used with the ‘Multi-System’ firmware. This allows only Manual mode and no HSS for the flashes attached to the V6. "

Read more at: Cactus V6II & RF60/x 'X-TTL' reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
07-02-2018, 12:24 PM   #40

Thanks guys. No clue what versions I tried so many things I a may have ended up with something old. Yes the laptop sees the flash when you plug it in but not the trigger unless you hold in the menu button. I mean really is it so hard to design a product to be consistent in such a little thing? Well I guess I will wait for the Cactus mono light to come out and hope that will work to put more light on things.
07-02-2018, 01:48 PM   #41
Veteran Member

I urge you to focus on resolving the firmware issues with the equipment you already have rather than wait to introduce another new product which you are unfamiliar with .... seems like a recipe for more frustration.

The first decision to take is whether you want to take advantage of TTL automated flash metering and 2nd curtain sync. If you do, then you need to use the latest "X-TTL" firmware in both the V6II and the RF60x. ClassA's posts earlier describe how these go together. Basically for the V6II its the ones that start with "PEN .." (these are Pentax-specific X-TTL firmware's) ..... the RF60 uses the numerical "06" / "07" designation. These will work together between the trigger and flashes to give you TTL / M plus HSS in both modes, all controllable entirely from the V6II on the camera.

When the RQ250 comes out there's no reason to think it will be controlled any differently from a V6II, so it should fit seamlessly into your existing Cactus setup.

With the equipment you have I can see little purpose to use the "multi-brand" firmware .... the X-TTL seems the most versatile. Anyone who doesn't want P-TTL can just switch that off as there's an option in the Functions menu to only have Manual mode available. For me, I find the ability to flick in and out of TTL and Manual extremely convenient, you just have to keep an eye on the V6II display to double check the mode for each group. For me, someone who chooses P-TTL for specific situations, and Manual for others, then I love the fact that I can instantly flick into either mode from the camera position.

I hope you do try again .... remember the Firmware Updater software has instructions written with the steps to take as you go. Take the batteries out of the Cactus units first, and it should all go smoothly.
07-03-2018, 10:29 PM   #42
Pentaxian

I mean really is it so hard to design a product to be consistent in such a little thing?
The V6II can be powered via USB (instead of batteries) so it cannot automatically go into firmware update mode.

They could have made you press "menu" on the RF60X as well for consistency reasons, but I'm not sure that would count as an improvement.
07-03-2018, 11:12 PM   #43

Thanks guys you are VERY helpful! I have never tried TTL or 2nd curtain and not sure I even under stand the 2nd curtain thing. I've got a rain shoot coming up and was told hss pulsates the flash and you want to stay away from that trying to freeze water drips falling.