Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2016, 07:56 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Metz WT-1 radio triggers coming in 2017: P-TTL, HSS, groups, studio flashes

After my post was removed from the news section I think its worth noting in this subforum that next year we will get a very comprehensive flash trigger solution from Metz, the WT-1:

Google Übersetzer
  1. Supports full P-TTL featureset
  2. Supports P-TTL HSS
  3. Support multiple flashes with groups
  4. Support manual settings of remote flashes
  5. Supports both Metz and Pentax flashes
  6. Supports groups of flashes
On Photokina they had a prototype and said they will definitely offer it for Pentax next year.

This will probably also be good news for 645 shooters.

09-26-2016, 10:07 AM   #2
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
very good message! If the trigger is as good as their flashes are, we will get good stuff!
09-26-2016, 11:09 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Great news!
09-26-2016, 02:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Excellent ..... thanks for bringing the news to us here . My first question would be .... will it work for non-Metz Dedicated System flashes .... (ie, Pentax Flashes) ? Its a 2-Part transmitter / receiver system, so it presumably doesn't depend on specific equipment in the flashes themselves. Although, of course, it may depend on USB firmware updates for the flashes, which may rule out models that don't have that ......

09-26-2016, 02:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

09-26-2016, 03:33 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those look pretty interesting!
09-26-2016, 11:49 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Excellent ..... thanks for bringing the news to us here . My first question would be .... will it work for non-Metz Dedicated System flashes .... (ie, Pentax Flashes) ? Its a 2-Part transmitter / receiver system, so it presumably doesn't depend on specific equipment in the flashes themselves. Although, of course, it may depend on USB firmware updates for the flashes, which may rule out models that don't have that ......
They offer both transceivers and pure Receivers.

Yes, it will work with Pentax flashes aus well, but Limited to newer ones

09-27-2016, 06:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

These Metz radio triggers/controllers look very promising.

I always wondered why it was taking Metz so long to get into this part of the market.

It would be neat if they make it so that one Metz trigger set can offer for example P-TTL and I-TTL support, with HSS across those protocols too, of course.
09-27-2016, 06:55 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Looks like they are rebadging the Pixel King Pro triggers.

I would have expected a more progressive move by Metz, if they enter that market.

I think three groups are not enough and pressing buttons to change levels is a pain. Still, it is awesome that they will be offered for Pentax.

Last edited by Class A; 09-27-2016 at 07:01 AM.
09-27-2016, 07:51 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Looks like they are rebadging the Pixel King Pro triggers.
Implementing P-TTL in the King Pro triggers is more than a re-badge, especially since King Pro hasn't implemented P-TTL themselves. Unless P-TTL transmits meter readings as well as flash settings, there will be limits to what can be done with multiple zones if the camera doesn't support it, so the Metz version for Pentax may be even more limited than King Pro's Nikon version in your link.
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Still, it is awesome that they will be offered for Pentax.
Agreed, even if they are limited by Pentax's flash system.
10-01-2016, 03:32 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
After my post was removed from the news section I think its worth noting in this subforum that next year we will get a very comprehensive flash trigger solution from Metz, the WT-1:

Google Übersetzer
  1. Supports full P-TTL featureset
  2. Supports P-TTL HSS
  3. Support multiple flashes with groups
  4. Support manual settings of remote flashes
  5. Supports both Metz and Pentax flashes
  6. Supports groups of flashes
On Photokina they had a prototype and said they will definitely offer it for Pentax next year.

This will probably also be good news for 645 shooters.
And here is the press release in English:
20_09_Metz_Wireless_Trigger_WT-1: Metz
10-01-2016, 09:57 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Thanks for the link .... These are certainly going to add significantly to the range of choices we have available to us, and of course they are guaranteed to keep this forum busy with questions, confusions and ongoing 'trigger war' debates !

On the surface they appear to offer a combination of features from both the Acon 930 and Cactus V6II, ie radio TTL with support for all the 'subset' functions of that, plus manual power control for 3 groups with a decent interface and buttons. Those are the key characteristics I can see. Of course the Cactus products offer a number of additional features over and above basic remote power and group control, but the Metz seems to offer at least the basics for us 'real strobists'.

Just like with the Acon product, there's nothing yet to explain how the Metz transceiver will manage more than one P-TTL slaves in terms of exposure control, ratios and compensations. We do not have the sophistications of the CLS and E-TTL with their multiple pre-flashes in sequence, so its difficult to assume that we will have anything more than single flash P-TTL remote control ...... ? But I look forward to being wrong on that!

Beholder3, you said earlier the the latest Pentax flashes would be supported .... Do you mind giving more info about this if you have any? I note that the press release states that the new transceiver product is for Metz flashes, and doesn't refer to any others.

It suffers also from translation woes ....I puzzled over this sentence ... ' The recording mode and exposure correction for distance flashes can be set individually using the transceiver' .... Anyone hazard a guess as to what this might mean? Is it in fact referring to using multiple flashes in P-TTL mode?
10-02-2016, 11:42 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Beholder3, you said earlier the the latest Pentax flashes would be supported .... Do you mind giving more info about this if you have any? I note that the press release states that the new transceiver product is for Metz flashes, and doesn't refer to any others.
I asked the Metz people at photokina about supporting non-Metz flashes and they said it naturally would, since restricting it to Metz only wouldn't make sense.
Then they said that this obviously would be limited to "more recent" flash models and not very old ones. This did sound very understandable to me.

You know there would be sillies who otherwise would expect their 10 year old cheapo 3rd party flash to work with all features of the most recent $400 flash.

I have no idea what is technically possible to implement, but obviously flash hardware will create restrictions.
10-03-2016, 01:19 AM   #14
Veteran Member

It suffers also from translation woes ....I puzzled over this sentence ... ' The recording mode and exposure correction for distance flashes can be set individually using the transceiver' .... Anyone hazard a guess as to what this might mean? Is it in fact referring to using multiple flashes in P-TTL mode?
The correct sentence should be: "The recording mode or the exposure correction for distance flashes can be set individually using the transceiver" according to German language Metz press info.
10-04-2016, 12:42 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So far Metz has created very good quality products, so I guess we just sit and wait until we get facts.