Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2018, 07:52 AM   #136

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

The bulb has gone on my 585EX. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement (pref UK/EU distributor)? Is it easy to fit at home?

Thanks!

06-20-2018, 08:32 PM   #137
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hypermodern Quote
The bulb has gone on my 585EX. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement (pref UK/EU distributor)? Is it easy to fit at home?

Thanks!
Honestly? Unless you're skilled in electronics and have a soldering gun, OHM meter, tweezers, steady hands, a bunch of micro size screw drivers and know what you're doing. I would just buy another flash.
06-20-2018, 10:37 PM   #138
Veteran Member

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement
eBay or Aliexpress. Plenty of listings for Yongnuo Xenon flash tubes. Eg
eBay:
Yongnuo YN-460 YN-465 YN-467 YN-468 II Flash Tube Xenon lamp repair blitz lampe | eBay

Aliexpress:
Popular Flash Yongnuo Repair-Buy Cheap Flash Yongnuo Repair lots from China Flash Yongnuo Repair suppliers on Aliexpress.com

Just find the exact part number for your YN 585 and go from there. Probably a low priced part.

There are also many Youtube videos that show you what to expect from within similar YN flashes if you are game enough to go down the DIY repair path.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Yongnuo+flash+repair
06-21-2018, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #139

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
Honestly? Unless you're skilled in electronics and have a soldering gun, OHM meter, tweezers, steady hands, a bunch of micro size screw drivers and know what you're doing. I would just buy another flash.
My soldering iron is gathering dust, and if I can't make it work I'll probably invest in a cactus system, so it's a £5 punt or £200.

06-21-2018, 07:32 AM   #140
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My soldering iron is gathering dust, and if I can't make it work I'll probably invest in a cactus system, so it's a £5 punt or £200.
Fair enough. What's the worst that'll happen? It still won't work lol
06-14-2019, 07:03 AM   #141
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
The YN560 also works with Pentax p-TTL but I don't think it has an option for HSS.
3 yrs later - they still not have it.

I'm dissapointed in YN really big time
06-14-2019, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #142

QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
3 yrs later - they still not have it.

That's why I've sold all my YN gear. Godox is the go now, the Xpro-P trigger was a game changer I think.

06-15-2019, 02:49 AM   #143
Veteran Member

Pentax has shrunk to making up maybe 1 to 2% of the market, why would any third-party manufacturer still be interested in supporting them? It doesn't make sense economically.
06-16-2019, 01:03 AM   #144
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Pentax has shrunk to making up maybe 1 to 2% of the market, why would any third-party manufacturer still be interested in supporting them? It doesn't make sense economically.

I can agree on that one too,

but.... YN - have too much complicated triggers for different things also.

I read a fantastic article about that. Godox succeded where YN failed, and each system have same market, and same goals - at very much same price.

--
As far as I can read - Godox is more reliable, more sturdy, with simplier radio triggers solutions, with full HSS support, and their products can easily be paired with each other to make them work together,

while in YN that's not the case.

--
I have a three Godox Flash Lamps,

and I can use the triggers from them,

to

triggers the Godox flashes. I simply can put trigger from lamp, to the flash directly.

--
With YN,

I can't even pair some of YN flashes to work with unsuported YN radio trigger, because they mixed up system.

---

So, Godox is by far - much better choice, and YN would lose battle. The situation is rapidly changed for them, and I think the Godox would just eat them,

because for overall better compatibility,

better flash builds,

and even cheaper prices.

---
Let the game begins
06-16-2019, 08:23 PM   #145
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can agree on that one too,

but.... YN - have too much complicated triggers for different things also.

I read a fantastic article about that. Godox succeded where YN failed, and each system have same market, and same goals - at very much same price.

--
As far as I can read - Godox is more reliable, more sturdy, with simplier radio triggers solutions, with full HSS support, and their products can easily be paired with each other to make them work together,

while in YN that's not the case.

--
I have a three Godox Flash Lamps,

and I can use the triggers from them,

to

triggers the Godox flashes. I simply can put trigger from lamp, to the flash directly.

--
With YN,

I can't even pair some of YN flashes to work with unsuported YN radio trigger, because they mixed up system.

---

So, Godox is by far - much better choice, and YN would lose battle. The situation is rapidly changed for them, and I think the Godox would just eat them,

because for overall better compatibility,

better flash builds,

and even cheaper prices.

---
Let the game begins
In 2018, the only economically priced 3rd parties flashes in town were Yongnuo (585 EX), and Shanny (SN600FGZ). NOW (2019) Godox is on the scene (Thankfully).
06-27-2019, 04:38 PM   #146
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Pentax has shrunk to making up maybe 1 to 2% of the market........
Could you provide a link to the scource of those figures?
06-28-2019, 04:38 AM - 1 Like   #147
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Could you provide a link to the scource of those figures?
The 2019 BCN Ranking*Japanese market share report is out - Photo Rumors

Ricoh has a Japanese market share of 3.1% of DSLR sales - that means their share of the total ILC market will be smaller, and given that Japan is Pentax' strongest market, a global ILC market share of 1 to 2% sounds about right, maybe even a bit generous.