Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2017, 07:00 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by serothis Quote
The $99 non-ttl version. It arrived last night. It's quite nice. But I'm new to flashes so my preliminary uses have been a crapshoot.
Great, let us know how you like it going forward. Did you buy a transmitter for it yet?

01-06-2017, 08:24 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
Great, let us know how you like it going forward. Did you buy a transmitter for it yet?
Not yet. I'm keeping an eye on the xt32 transmitter but it seems only canon version is for sale and that was on back order at adorama. I'd prefer the nikon version because my other body is a nikon. I'm also holding out the (very) naive hope that they come out with a pentax version....I know they wont.

The nikon version + cactus v6ii is the most likely route I'll go.
01-07-2017, 08:30 PM   #48

Not yet. I'm keeping an eye on the xt32 transmitter but it seems only canon version is for sale and that was on back order at adorama. I'd prefer the nikon version because my other body is a nikon. I'm also holding out the (very) naive hope that they come out with a pentax version....I know they wont.

The nikon version + cactus v6ii is the most likely route I'll go.
I was disappointed to read that the XT32-G version will not trigger HSS as it's only single pin mode. Now that the YN 585EX is out, doesn't seem it has HSS either.

Looks like the addition on Cactus V6ii will be required with either Godox or Yonguno.
01-07-2017, 09:10 PM   #49
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by markl62 Quote
I was disappointed to read that the XT32-G version will not trigger HSS as it's only single pin mode. Now that the YN 585EX is out, doesn't seem it has HSS either.

Looks like the addition on Cactus V6ii will be required with either Godox or Yonguno.
With the cactus triggers it make all manual. no TTL. and receiver for each flash. too expensive and inconvenient.

the acon R930II, which simply converts Nikon trigger to Pentax. Need not receiver on every foot of flash for most cases.

for example. Godox X1N, X32-N. these are cheap Nikon triggers with radio manual flash. Clean and reliable

01-07-2017, 10:54 PM - 1 Like   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by andy888 Quote
With the cactus triggers it make all manual. no TTL. and receiver for each flash. too expensive and inconvenient.

the acon R930II, which simply converts Nikon trigger to Pentax. Need not receiver on every foot of flash for most cases.

for example. Godox X1N, X32-N. these are cheap Nikon triggers with radio manual flash. Clean and reliable
The Cactus triggers do that as well. You can stack a Godox Nikon transmitter on the Cactus, and have the Cactus translate between Pentax and Nikon (or Canon). For some reason there seems to be an issue with the XT32 at the moment, whereas the X1 works.
01-07-2017, 11:04 PM   #51
Pentaxian

With the cactus triggers it make all manual. no TTL.
So are you saying the R930II converts Pentax P-TTL to Nikon i-TTL and thus gives you P-TTL with a flash that is triggered by the X1N, X32-N, etc.?
Or are you doing your usual "fair comparisons" again?

and receiver for each flash.
Every radio trigger solution requires a receiver for each flash. Some speedlights have radio receivers built-in, but there is always a receiver. As paulster pointed out, the Acon and Cactus triggers do not differ in their support of foreign triggers on their hot-shoe in principle, so you can have the "no receiver on every foot" solution with the Cactus as well. The problem with this particular set up, AFAIC, is that you have a stack of triggers on the camera. I prefer a smaller and lighter arrangement with quick and safe access to the trigger controls for de-/activating speedlights, adjusting their power individually or simultaneously, etc.
01-08-2017, 12:38 AM   #52

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
So are you saying the R930II converts Pentax P-TTL to Nikon i-TTL and thus gives you P-TTL with a flash that is triggered by the X1N, X32-N, etc.?
Nope. The website states the following: It lets the Nikon triggers think mounted on a Nikon Camera, Thus make all functions except for TTL of the Nikon triggers available.

So it's doing exactly the same as a V6 II used the same way would.

It's a cheaper solution than the V6 II, though, if this is what you're after and your transmitter system is Nikon.

01-08-2017, 01:22 AM   #53
Banned

The converter is only add-in for the R930 PTTL HSS system. It make people who use multi flashes of Manual cheap and practically comfortable.

The acon use to provide a version, https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/335580-most-r...ml#post3851867

But now it remove the receiver used to hold the Nikon trigger. but directly mount on the transmitter.

I know the Cactus have some kind of trigger set on top of their receiver, barely near the former version R930PN. but not this new R930II. not to say any TTL or Rear curtain.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-08-2017 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Inappropriate conduct
01-08-2017, 11:54 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The domain for the Acron website has expired...

http://acon-photo.com/

This doesn't give me confidence in customer support if I need to get a hold of them.
01-10-2017, 05:40 PM   #55
Veteran Member

The domain for the Acron website has expired...
It's been renewed recently:

Update Date: 2017-01-09 T0 2:20:06Z
Creation Date: 2015-01-03 T0 9:35:13Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2018-01-03 T0 9:35:13Z
01-20-2017, 07:39 PM   #56

I just received this flash and it's been working well with my K-50 using P-TTL. Like many people suspected, I cannot enable HSS in the flash despite being in M mode and using a shutter speed of 1/180. I'm holding out hope that HSS is something they can add in a firmware update.

Let me know and I'll try answering any questions about it. I haven't used any of the Pentax flashes like the AF360FGZ or AF540FGZ so I have no real baseline to compare it to.
01-20-2017, 09:24 PM   #57
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AgentDisco Quote
I'm holding out hope that HSS is something they can add in a firmware update.
The hardware would have to be different, I'm assuming.

01-21-2017, 01:48 AM   #58

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentDisco Quote
I just received this flash and it's been working well with my K-50 using P-TTL. Like many people suspected, I cannot enable HSS in the flash despite being in M mode and using a shutter speed of 1/180. I'm holding out hope that HSS is something they can add in a firmware update.

Let me know and I'll try answering any questions about it. I haven't used any of the Pentax flashes like the AF360FGZ or AF540FGZ so I have no real baseline to compare it to.
Does the manual mention it has HSS option ? What is sync speed of the K-50, have you tried a shutter of say 1/250 ?
01-21-2017, 07:17 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It doesn't have HSS. It's not on any of the specs and their tech support confirmed it. Hopefully it will be on an upcoming model, along with the wireless receiver.
01-21-2017, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #60

QuoteOriginally posted by markl62 Quote
Does the manual mention it has HSS option ? What is sync speed of the K-50, have you tried a shutter of say 1/250 ?
There's no mention of HSS or anything like it in the small manual. No amount of fiddling with the shutter speed would let me go faster than 1/180 with the flash enabled, so that appears to be the sync speed.