Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2017, 11:52 PM   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Leumas Quote
finding if my K-70 supports wireless optical P-TTL for off-camera flash
I would guess no.

The K-70 doesn't seem to have the same 'Wireless Mode' entry on the flash menu as other cameras like the K-50 or K-p, K-5, K-x etc do. K-70, K-S2 missed out for some reason.

09-03-2017, 01:25 AM   #107
Pentaxian

The k70, along with the other recent models, K-S1 and K-S2, does not support Wireless operations. Use an accessory flash as 'master/control', or a suitable radio trigger system for the kind of features you need.

Take a look at my recent "Supplement" document (Part of my Guide to Pentax flash) which has an outline of the main options and choices.
09-03-2017, 11:35 PM   #108
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
The k70, along with the other recent models, K-S1 and K-S2, does not support Wireless operations. Use an accessory flash as 'master/control', or a suitable radio trigger system for the kind of features you need.

Take a look at my recent "Supplement" document (Part of my Guide to Pentax flash) which has an outline of the main options and choices.

So I have a set of 560IV's already along with a 560tx transmitter. What do I need to make this 585EX work in TTL mode off camera?
09-04-2017, 12:46 AM   #109
Pentaxian

What camera system is the 585EX dedicated to? It sounds like a Canon flash .....

09-04-2017, 05:29 AM   #110
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I still haven't purchased this flash. Has anybody experienced misfires? I have experienced some misfires on my 560III on both K-5II and K-3II.
09-04-2017, 02:02 PM   #111
Forum Member

What camera system is the 585EX dedicated to? It sounds like a Canon flash .....
It's the subject of this thread, the Yongnuo YN585EX

It's Yongnuo's first and only Pentax P-TTL flash; I want to be able to use it's TTL function off-camera. And if my K-70 doesn't support wireless optical P-TTL I'm not sure how to do that.
09-04-2017, 03:03 PM   #112
Pentaxian

Yes, of course, I'd forgotten how this thread started! Assuming the flash has Wireless P-TTL capabilities, then it could be part of a 2-flash Optical Wireless P-TTL system (alongside another equivalent dedicated system flash), or alternatively you could use a Radio P-TTL trigger system.

Check out the Wireless and Radio System section in my new "Pentax Flash Guide Supplement" for an overview on each type of system and some specific product examples
09-05-2017, 07:40 AM   #113

I can't comment on P-TTL triggers as I don't have one, so for me to trigger my 585EX off-camera in P-TTL mode I use my 540FGZ II by setting the latter in Master/Control mode mounted on my K-3 II. It doesn't work the other way around as the 585EX doesn't have a Master/Cotrol mode.

09-05-2017, 09:10 AM   #114
Pentaxian

Thanks for that clarification West Penn .... Perhaps it would be a bit too much to expect for the price. It's a good option for those like yourself already have a suitable Master /Control flash and just need an economical slave, while retaining P-TTL off camera.
10-30-2017, 10:55 PM   #115
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Just for info.

Received a YN 585EX for P-TTL to act as a backup for my Metz 52-AF1. Cost me AUD$99 on eBay, delivered.

Very good build, decent power and light distribution. Worked fine out of the box in P-TTL and manual flash modes. The printed manual supplied was in English, and well written.

Flash exposures all looked good in P-TTL mode. But can confirm - HSS is not available.

On the K-1 there were a couple of initial issues, in particular when shooting in FF mode:

- the flash zoom head didn't work automatically with zoom lenses (it would zoom, but only retrospectively after the shot was taken, which was weird);
- AF illuminator wouldn't function.

However all those problems went away when the K-1 was used in crop mode.

So I went to the Yongnuo web page for the flash, downloaded the latest firmware (YN585P 1616) and the v1.34 YN firmware updater software.

Changelog for the YN 585 firmware v1616 read:

QuoteQuote:
2017/1/8 Ver.1616
Optimize: Accuracy of exposure in TTL mode.
Improvement: focal length changing problem of when turning on red eye reduction and FEB at the same time.
which sounded promising, given the zoom head issues I had seen.

Notably, even though my flash was built on 12 July 2017, the firmware installed on it at the factory was not the latest v1616 firmware released in January 2017. So a firmware update seemed overdue.

I updated the firmware on the flash (easy to do), and can report that now the flash zoom head works fine on the K-1. However the AF assist light still doesn't work in FF mode - only in crop mode. (This is also the case with my Metz, so maybe it's not a Yongnuo issue).

tl;dr - YN585-Pentax works fine, but if shooting with the K-1 update the firmware.
11-07-2017, 02:56 PM   #116
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have used this flash with my Pentax K-3II on the hot shoe and also with Cactus V5 radio triggers off camera. The P-TTL is efficient (per histogram and image appearance). In Manual mode the flash is easy to configure and shows dependable/excellent performance. It also comes with a nice case.
11-17-2017, 01:45 PM   #117
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got one of these two days ago. I have yet to update the firmware. For whatever reason I cannot shut off red eye reduction. The manual says it is controlled by the camera but it is off on my K1. I guess I should try it in crop mode to see if I still have the issue. I too have to manually zoom the system to match the focal length. I will check that in crop mode too.

On the plus side it does work fine in P-TTL mode. The diffuser works good too. Not griping as it won't get that much use and the price was easy on my wallet. Just another tool to learn how to use. And a shout out to a third party manufacturer who is supporting Pentax.
11-18-2017, 12:56 AM - 1 Like   #118

@gaweidert

I can't confirm that with the red-eye-reduction. It is controlled by the K-1 both in Auto, Full as APS-C Modus.

But I have different other issues. I really miss the HSS function. Also "old-glas" doesn't support the zoom function. Ferther you can't use the Yongnou as Master, only as slave.

The largest problem is the lack of support. I spoke with them. They have no K-1 in their labor (even Metz has no K-1 :-(
Sorry but if you plan to bring a flash on the market you need at least a body of every camera the flash is made for. The older K-5 & K-3 you can buy for peanuts. A K-1 is not a cheap, but as Third-Party developer I am 100% sure that Ricoh offer them special prices.

The Quality of the Yongnou is really good and it seems me better as the Metz, the Menu und User-Interface is OK, but personally I like the Metz more from view of how to use it. Without a difficult to read manuell you have problems to use all the settings of the Yongnou :-(

The Firmware Updater is only for Windows, Metz has done a better job and have both a version for mac and windows. But I don't think we need it because I believe their will never be a firmware update for this flash :-(
11-18-2017, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #119
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Red faced here. Red eye reduction is working fine. It is me not understanding how a P-TTL flash works. I guess I need to learn the newfangled stuff. Flash powder was so much easier. Fill the tray and let her rip.

I updated the firmware from UEr 1611 to UEr 1616. No problems with that. Quick and easy. All in all I am satisfied with the flash. Build quality is pretty good and it does what it says it should. It will not get much heavy use. I am getting intrigued by Multi mode.
12-27-2017, 10:28 AM   #120

Hi, I'm investigating for a while at buying a cheap flash, but with some specifications inside. I do own a AF360, wich works well in P-TTL mode and supports HSSpeed, but does have a little NG.
So I came to hesitate between this Yongnuo YN585, and the Shanny SN600FGZ, and have some questions :

Yes, we can all go and buy the Shanny Flash for our HSS needs, and the Yongnuo for our Wireless needs! We just need a new hybrid model, the Shannuo, that does it all !
If I do understand well...
- the Shanny : supports P-TTL on-camera hot-shoe, but not optically triggered? Can work in HSS on- and off-camera (optical)?
- the Yongnuo : supports P-TTL metering both on- and off-camera (optically triggered)? But lacks HSSpeeds?
Are these assumptions correct? Are there other differences?

Last but not least, the Yongnuo 585 does list most of Pentax camera to work with, but not the K20D (I own), why?? Wich are the specs that don't work with that particular K20D?

Thanks!
PS : @mcgregni : thanks for your very usefull guides!!