Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
02-05-2017, 03:46 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I also have a science and engineering background and can't understand your confusion, to be honest.
No confusion at all. I just think that applying one common name to two entirely different technologies with different capabilities and drawbacks and requiring significantly different equipment is, at best, a little ambiguous. One 'wireless' system will simply connect across a room, round corners, next room, wherever, and communicate invisibly with the target. The other wireless system requires a primary flash unit, in direct line of sight, over limited range, in limited (not too bright) lighting conditions, to a second compatible flash unit, contributing unavoidable (often unwanted) additional lighting, to communicate with the target. To give these both the same name is a bit non-sensical in my mind.
Save

02-05-2017, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #92
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
No confusion at all. I just think that applying one common name to two entirely different technologies with different capabilities and drawbacks and requiring significantly different equipment is, at best, a little ambiguous. One 'wireless' system will simply connect across a room, round corners, next room, wherever, and communicate invisibly with the target. The other wireless system requires a primary flash unit, in direct line of sight, over limited range, in limited (not too bright) lighting conditions, to a second compatible flash unit, contributing unavoidable (often unwanted) additional lighting, to communicate with the target. To give these both the same name is a bit non-sensical in my mind.
Save
Since optical wireless came before WiFi and was understood by the whole industry, should it, or radio wireless, have to drop the term?

02-05-2017, 05:15 PM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
My Directv remote comes in two flavors, one with standard IR comms to the receiver, and one with RF. The RF is generally better since it's more-or-less omnidirectional and can go through things like chairs. One is generally referred to as the normal remote, one as the RF remote or RF-capable remote or something like that. Because referring to both as wireless remotes or just remotes leaves ambiguity.
My first tv remote had wires...... all since have been wireless....
(I'm not to sure about progress, at least I could always find the wired remote)

Anyway.... probally a good indication of the complexity of using flash properly anyhow!
02-06-2017, 08:11 AM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Since optical wireless came before WiFi and was understood by the whole industry, should it, or radio wireless, have to drop the term?
It doesn't matter who or what should or should not do something. People have widely come to associate 'wireless' with radio transmission, that's the status quo. It's just like 'DFB' standing both for the German fencing association, and the German football association, and despite the fencing one being older and having born the acronym for a longer time, everyone now understands it to refer to football, and it is used that way in the media.

Meanings change.

02-06-2017, 02:43 PM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
It doesn't matter who or what should or should not do something. People have widely come to associate 'wireless' with radio transmission, that's the status quo. It's just like 'DFB' standing both for the German fencing association, and the German football association, and despite the fencing one being older and having born the acronym for a longer time, everyone now understands it to refer to football, and it is used that way in the media.

Meanings change.
We wouldn't be Pentaxians if we gave in that easily..... or conformed....
02-06-2017, 07:51 PM - 2 Likes   #96
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

People have widely come to associate 'wireless' with radio transmission, that's the status quo.
And we have people who have their lens hoods on backwards, or call a sports shooter's long prime a 'zoom'.

In this forum, we know better than that, and can educate new members not to make those embarrassing mistakes in the presence of experienced photographers.

Thor put it: "Like I said, I'm so new at flash photography that I don't even know what all the terminology means, but it sounds like it does wireless. I'm just not entirely sure how."

Now he knows the terminology, all is good.

Last edited by clackers; 02-06-2017 at 07:58 PM.
02-07-2017, 01:26 AM   #97
Veteran Member

Exactly, if everything was obvious what would our purpose in life then be ?!?

'The wireless' was what my grandma called her old AM radio, but my parents called theirs a 'radio' ...

I used to read loads of photography books and magazines all about SLR camera systems, and so the term 'wireless' was just sort of engrained as referring to the optical flash system. This was simply carried over and continued into the Digital SLR world.

Last edited by mcgregni; 02-07-2017 at 01:38 AM.
02-15-2017, 05:28 AM   #98
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Did we have this here:
Google Übersetzer
02-15-2017, 06:12 AM - 1 Like   #99
Veteran Member

It's just like 'DFB' standing both for the German fencing association, and the German football association, and despite the fencing one being older and having born the acronym for a longer time, everyone now understands it to refer to football, and it is used that way in the media.
Seems like a missed opportunity to roll the two organizations under one brand and arm footballers with epees for a more exciting sport. I felt the same way about the WWF name dispute- I'd tune in (using my wireless remote*) to watch a spandex wearing muscle bound bombastic actor face off against a panda bear in the squared circle.

*I also wish we'd drop the vague 'wireless' and use more descriptive terms where applicable. In that vein, my tv remote communicates via smoke signals and I can't see a damn thing if I change the channel too frequently.
02-15-2017, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Seems like a missed opportunity to roll the two organizations under one brand and arm footballers with epees for a more exciting sport.
I've always felt more excited about the possibility of trampoline fencing
05-22-2017, 03:32 PM   #101

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Yongnuo never mentioned it. A few people speculated on forums based on nothing at all....but it was never on the cards for this model.

But there are plenty of other HSS capable third party flashes besides Pentax, and I'm sure Yongnuo will come up with a higher spec model soon enough.
Hello

I own one of the first 585EX. It is really a very good flash and in it is really nearly the same quality as my other Metz 52, 58 & 64 flash. One items I am missing. I haven't found any option to activate HSS. In the Manual it is not mentioned. Let's hope a firmware update will bring HSS

Regards
Gérard
05-27-2017, 02:32 PM   #102

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerard_Dirks Quote
Hello

I own one of the first 585EX. It is really a very good flash and in it is really nearly the same quality as my other Metz 52, 58 & 64 flash. One items I am missing. I haven't found any option to activate HSS. In the Manual it is not mentioned. Let's hope a firmware update will bring HSS

Regards
Gérard
Hello

I had in inquiry at yongnuo and they confirmed HSS isn't implemented and it is not planned to give this function in a future firmware Update.

Really a pity. I love this flash, it has a really good Power Management. But for HSS I will still need to use my Metz flashes!
05-27-2017, 02:36 PM - 3 Likes   #103
Veteran Member

Yes, we can all go and buy the Shanny Flash for our HSS needs, and the Yongnuo for our Wireless needs! We just need a new hybrid model, the Shannuo, that does it all !
05-27-2017, 02:42 PM   #104

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Yes, we can all go and buy the Shanny Flash for our HSS needs, and the Yongnuo for our Wireless needs! We just need a new hybrid model, the Shannuo, that does it all !
Or pray & hope Shanny bring out a suitable trigger for off camera use.
09-02-2017, 03:47 PM   #105
Veteran Member

I'm having difficulty finding if my K-70 supports wireless optical P-TTL for off-camera flash??