Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2016, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Yongnuo mastering P-TTL and HSS: new YN585EX model

They say:
Itís TIME for P-TTL!
Yongnuo Photographic Equiment Co., Ltd
I guess it is the first P-TTL flash option from Yongnuo.
QuoteQuote:
YONGNUO Wireless Speedlite YN585EX
Itís TIME for P-TTL!
-----YONGNUO Wireless Speedlite YN585EX
  • Compatible with Pentax Wireless Flash System
    A YN585EX supports receiving wireless signal from the master unit of AF-360FGZ, AF540FGZ II and other Pentax cameras. It also supports 4 channels, off-camera TTL and manual flash.
  • Completely Support TTL Function
    YN585EX supports FEC, FEB, Rear-curtain Sync and Red Eye Reduction.
  • TTL flash with High Guide Number
    GN58@ ISO100,105mm;supports TTL, M and MULTI mode.
  • Multiple Trigger Synchronous Mode Supported
    YN585EX can be triggered through the camera, wireless triggered by the built-in flash or master flash, or triggered in S1/S2 pre-flash avoidance mode.
  • Firmware Upgrade
    YN585EX is equipped with USB port. Itís convenient to visit the official website of YONGNUO, download the latest firmware and upgrade the speedlite.
  • Equipped With Electric Zooming
    Supports auto and manual zooming, the flash can coverage can be changed between 20~ 105mm.
  • Ultra-fast Charging Recycle System
    The Charging recycle time is 3s when the speedlite is used with maximum output power. The charging recycle time is about 4~5s even the speedlite is not used with brand new batteries.
  • Real-time Displaying the Electric Quantity
    Itís convenient for you to know how the battery status for YN585EX supports real-time displaying the electric quantity.
  • AF Assist Beam Equipped
    YN585EX is equipped with AF Assist Beam. Quick focus is easily to be realized in dark environment.
  • Sound Prompting System
    When the sound prompting system is enabled, the different sound ways will prompt different operating state of the flash so as to allow you focus on shooting.
  • Advanced Options Settings and Auto Save settings
  • Equipped with Big Size LCD Display Screen, Standard PC synchronous Interface

10-03-2016, 12:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This is huge...
10-03-2016, 12:45 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The YN560 also works with Pentax p-TTL but I don't think it has an option for HSS.
10-03-2016, 01:06 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Nice!

10-03-2016, 01:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
The YN560 also works with Pentax p-TTL but I don't think it has an option for HSS.
I've never heard that before ....
10-03-2016, 02:11 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've read it a few times but I don't see any mention of HSS. But any P-TTL is a step in the right direction anyway.
10-03-2016, 02:20 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

no p-ttl with YN560

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Scratch this. I pulled my YN 560 out and though it is fully compatible with Pentax digital cameras, it is entirely manual so there is no support for automatic p-ttl flash.
10-04-2016, 01:54 AM   #8

And it seems there is no support for commander.

10-04-2016, 02:54 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Its great to see another option in the budget category for a dedicated system flash ..... maybe the K1 is finally making some third party companies sit up and take notice ?

I can see that this flash is designed to work with the Pentax Optical Wireless system, but is it fair to presume that as a Yongnuo it would also work with Yongnuo triggers as part of a multi-flash group manual setup? Also I wonder if it includes a radio transceiver built in for this purpose as well ? A such it would surely be a really versatile unit.

Sawitar, have you used Nikon before ? 'Commander' is the terminology used by Nikon I believe for what Pentax call 'Master / Control' flash, for the on-camera triggering purpose. I only like to emphasise a distinction because the 'commander' mode on Nikon, including their dedicated wireless trigger devices, implies a few extra features with multi-flash control, ratios and groups, that the Pentax system does not have.

Continuing my pedantry with terms, the spec list above includes 'FEC, FEB' .... this I interpret to mean 'Flash Exposure Compensation' & 'Flash Exposure Bracketing' .... on Pentax the term is 'Flash Compensation', and I don't think we have flash bracketing ? If so I'd have thought it would need support through the cameras ?
10-04-2016, 05:00 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
is it fair to presume that as a Yongnuo it would also work with Yongnuo triggers as part of a multi-flash group manual setup? Also I wonder if it includes a radio transceiver built in for this purpose as well ?

This is what I wrote in the other thread on the YN585 (maybe they should be merged?)
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Probably not, since they don't list radio triggering among the features. YongNuo has a history of parallel incompatible systems, even among their radio triggers. The 565 and 568 canikon flashes cannot be controlled by the 560TX. The new-ish YN685 does support TTL (e or i, depending on version), 603/560 radio, and 622 radio protocols. Still, seeing a P-TTL flash from YongNuo is encouraging.

Looking at the feature list for all the other flashes on YN's website, if the YN585 had a radio receiver, it would say so, near the top. Looks like it is optical P-TTL only. Maybe there will be a "for Pentax" version of the YN685 eventually...
10-04-2016, 07:17 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I hadn't seen that on the other thread, sorry. I'm not a Yongnuo user, but I've read comments and heard the frustrations about those sorts of inconsistencies through their range. I think that a Pentax optical wireless flash alone is less attractive than one with built-in radio control as well. Obviously I presume this new flash will work also as a basic manual flash with triggers in manual mode, although the main point of it is likely to be the P-TTL support and functions. HSS will be quite important for this to be very popular I feel.
10-04-2016, 07:19 AM   #12
Pentaxian

What, seriously? So if I want P-TTL and HSS, I need this one, but if I want one that works off camera I need a 560 series one. I can't have both?!
10-04-2016, 07:43 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I'm not saying that specifically .... It was pointed out earlier in the thread that HSS was not specifically mentioned in the spec listing at the start . It does say 'full TTL support', which I guess could be interpreted different ways .....

looks like we have to wait for more detailed information from Yobgnuo.
10-04-2016, 08:10 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
I hadn't seen that on the other thread, sorry. I'm not a Yongnuo user, but I've read comments and heard the frustrations about those sorts of inconsistencies through their range. I think that a Pentax optical wireless flash alone is less attractive than one with built-in radio control as well. Obviously I presume this new flash will work also as a basic manual flash with triggers in manual mode, although the main point of it is likely to be the P-TTL support and functions. HSS will be quite important for this to be very popular I feel.
I agree - "either-or" would be more attractive. It looks like YN is making some efforts to integrate their various lines. Since the price difference isn't that great between the 685 and the 565 or 586, it's a little surprising that they didn't go the "either-or" direction from the start for P-TTL. Maybe the 585 design has been on the shelf for a while.
10-04-2016, 12:43 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It will be interesting to see what the new model number means. There is no 585 for any other brand, which is surprising.