Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2016, 02:43 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Weird flash setup idea?

I'm thinking about picking up a Sekonic L-758 and the idea of being able to take wireless flash readings seems super convenient. On the other hand, I already have two Cactus V6 triggers, and buying two PocketWizard triggers seems like a big investment when I'm already buying a rather expensive light meter (I tried out the L-308S-U and it isn't meeting my needs).

It occurred to me that I might only need to buy one PocketWizard, if I use my existing Cactus transceivers.

I've created a diagram to explain how I'm imagining this...

Basically, the Cactus radios will trigger the flash when my camera takes a picture, but the PocketWizard radios will communicate for taking meter readings. The hotshoe stacking will look a little funny, but it should work, right?

10-04-2016, 02:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I'm thinking about picking up a Sekonic L-758 and the idea of being able to take wireless flash readings seems super convenient. On the other hand, I already have two Cactus V6 triggers, and buying two PocketWizard triggers seems like a big investment when I'm already buying a rather expensive light meter (I tried out the L-308S-U and it isn't meeting my needs).

It occurred to me that I might only need to buy one PocketWizard, if I use my existing Cactus transceivers.

I've created a diagram to explain how I'm imagining this...

Basically, the Cactus radios will trigger the flash when my camera takes a picture, but the PocketWizard radios will communicate for taking meter readings. The hotshoe stacking will look a little funny, but it should work, right?
Is there any reason you need a meter that complex? You can go cheaper and simpler and still get the same metering abilites. I have the older version of this one Kenko KFM-1100 Auto Digi Meter K-KFM1100 B&H Photo Video and its great. It has a non-cord metering so you can flash the lights using your current triggers or by shooting a frame and it only measures the flash. No need for another trigger.
10-04-2016, 03:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Is there any reason you need a meter that complex? You can go cheaper and simpler and still get the same metering abilites. I have the older version of this one Kenko KFM-1100 Auto Digi Meter K-KFM1100 B&H Photo Video and its great. It has a non-cord metering so you can flash the lights using your current triggers or by shooting a frame and it only measures the flash. No need for another trigger.

I haven't had a chance to look at the meter you linked to in detail but the 758 seems to resolve a few problems I had with the 308:

1) In cordless flash metering mode, the 308 won't do metering calculations if you change the shutter speed. It will do calculations for ambient light or for ISO.

2) I've been reading Ansel Adams, and the idea of a built-in spot meter interests me for practicing the zone system.

3) Radio triggering would actually be kind of nice. I'm not always working with models, so it can be a bit tricky holding the light meter in just the right place while I stretch to touch that test button or pulling my camera on and off my tripod to use it as a trigger.

4) Being able to measure ambient light vs flash seems convenient.

5) After taking my gear (flash included) to Burning Man, I've noticed that rough weather is a lot of to shoot in! A light up display would also be very handy.

6) The lumidisc that the 308 comes with is something I'm definitely going to lose since it isn't bolted onto the light meter.

7) The 758 does filter calculations.

It's all little things, really. The most important one to me is concern #1, as repeated test fires really burn through my flash batteries, and I personally just find it kind of annoying.

On the whole, I'm really excited about working with meters. It's so nice not having to guess about my flash exposures (especially with film) and it's made me a more confident photographer.
10-11-2016, 11:50 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I wanted to follow up. The 758 has so many great features and my set up described above does work! My light meter triggers the PocketWizard which triggers the Cactus, which triggers 360FGZII. Meanwhile, I can still adjust flash power with my Cactus transceivers.