Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2016, 07:34 AM   #1

How do I get over 1/200 shutter with Cactus V6 on a K-1 with Metz 58 AF2?

Just bought a set of Cactus V6s for my Metz 58AF2s thinking they would trigger like having them on camera but I am limited to 1/200 and for that I could have used $50 younguos. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

10-20-2016, 08:15 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by charchri4 Quote
Just bought a set of Cactus V6s for my Metz 58AF2s thinking they would trigger like having them on camera but I am limited to 1/200 and for that I could have used $50 younguos. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?
Do the V6's support P-TTL over the radio?
10-20-2016, 08:25 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I suggest you take a look at this thread: V6II HSS and flash exposure modes.
10-20-2016, 08:59 AM   #4
Pentaxian

You need 2 V6II transceivers, they are the HSS enabled version.

10-20-2016, 11:00 AM   #5

Original Poster
Crap didn't realize the v6 was that dated! Thanks guys I'll have to just dump more $$ into this nonsense! Really starting to think I should have gone with the big boys Canon or Nikon....
10-20-2016, 11:58 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Are other HSS capable radio triggers cheaper for Canon or Nikon? I realise there will be better full TTL capable triggers, but they would presumably offer a different mix of features than the Cactus V6IIs, which give the group control, remote manual power / flash head zoom plus a few other options.

I don't see the original V6 as 'dated' .... it has less features, but is still a highly capable and good to use manual trigger, and it is cheaper than than the V6II, for those who don't need HSS.
10-20-2016, 04:58 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Just bought a set of Cactus V6s for my Metz 58AF2s thinking they would trigger like having them on camera...
If you want P-TTL via radio consider the Acon triggers.

Even the V6II won't give you automatic exposure via radio. It is much better suited for manual multi off-camera flash photography including HSS, though.

BTW, there are workarounds for achieving HSS/HyperSync with the V6. One involves optical triggering using an on-camera P-TTL HSS flash and the other is known as the "starter pistol"-method.

Last edited by Class A; 10-20-2016 at 05:04 PM.
10-21-2016, 09:37 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Just as Class A has already mentioned:
For a single P-TTL flash set-up like yours with the Metz 58 a pair of Acon R930 (Flash Trigger - acon-photo) for $120 total (I guess that is about the same as for two Cactus v6) is the easy approach. They represent a PTTL-wire without the wire, so the radio-connected flash does just what it would do on the hotshoe.

10-22-2016, 12:59 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks guys I actually have 2 Metz 58-2s but Metz decided to not put the optical trigger feature in the Pentax versions so the 2nd flash is useless to me. I sent a message to Acorn thanks for the tip!

Last edited by charchri4; 10-22-2016 at 01:07 PM.
10-22-2016, 02:31 PM   #10
Pentaxian

As I understand it you are referring to the problem that the 58-AF2 cannot act as a wireless controller / master simultaneously with HSS sync mode. According to Matthew Millers 'P-TTL Mattdm' site the units do work as HSS slaves, but not the on-camera trigger role. Matthew refers to this as a firmware 'bug', but there was some discussion here a while back, and other users (I think ClassA was one) seemed to suggest it was more of an interface issue .... ie, the technical functionality exists, but it cannot be activated due to the interface design .....

Perhaps you could just get an alternative extra flash to use for the triggering .... a Pentax model, or another Metz perhaps (the 52-AF1 maybe does it?). Then you would have multi-flash wireless HSS !

Agreed on the Acon as the obvious single flash radio option. Unfortunately I have not yet seen reports here yet of reliable multi-flash P-TTL with the Acons .....
10-22-2016, 02:39 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks mcgregni. I really don't care about the TTL functions I'd rather manually control them but I do need faster shutter speed than 1/200. If that was not the case this would be cheap and could be done easily with Younguos at a fraction of the cost of even a single Metz. I have thought about selling the Metz units in favor of Pentax ones but from what I am reading there is no advantage to that. Is that not right? Ditto with mono lights and near as I can tell there is just nothing reasonably priced that will trigger of a K-1... I suppose I could wait for the Metz triggers but would really like to have something now!
10-22-2016, 06:25 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I really don't care about the TTL functions I'd rather manually control them but I do need faster shutter speed than 1/200.
If that's the case, I'd say the V6II is the better choice, as it has much better support for manual flash power control (display and dedicated buttons).
10-22-2016, 07:05 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Crap didn't realize the v6 was that dated! Thanks guys I'll have to just dump more $$ into this nonsense! Really starting to think I should have gone with the big boys Canon or Nikon....
Their sync speeds aren't significantly faster. There are certainly reasons to go with Canon or Nikon, but what you are complaining about isn't one of them.
10-23-2016, 01:39 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Matthew refers to this as a firmware 'bug', but there was some discussion here a while back, and other users (I think ClassA was one) seemed to suggest it was more of an interface issue .... ie, the technical functionality exists, but it cannot be activated due to the interface design ....
It is no bug. It is really just poor design and Metz is fully aware of it (I discussed that with their support years ago).
The issue they have is that the menus are designed in a bad way that you can only access the menu for wireless master OR the menu for HSS.
To this day I do not know why they do not change it via upgrade.

I have thought about selling the Metz units in favor of Pentax ones but from what I am reading there is no advantage to that. Is that not right?
As all products differ in the details it can have advantages. As far as I understand only the Pentax version IIs plus the version I 540 can act as wireless master for HSS.

If you really are only into manual flash then you are overequipped though.
10-23-2016, 07:43 AM   #15

Original Poster
Thank YOU!!! So goes another 280 bucks into the camera bag...