Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-26-2016, 11:11 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cactus V6 Firmware Update V2.1.001 available

If interested you can find the description here.

I hoped for support of Metz Mecablitz 52 AF-1 digital - seems it doesn't.

10-26-2016, 11:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for posting this!
10-26-2016, 11:15 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Thanks for posting this!
Thanks4Thanks
10-26-2016, 02:46 PM   #4

Cannot get V6ii's to adjust power with K-3ii & AF540FGZii

I recently updated the firmware for 2 V6ii's and 1 V6. I shoot with a Pentax k-3ii and use a Pentax flash AF540FGZ II. Before turning to getting the V6 to work with the V6ii, I have tried to get the two V6ii's to work. I cannot get the power sync to work (I have not tried HSS). The power setting are transferred from the Cactus Tx to the Cactus Rx (I see these in the cactus panels) and the flash fires. But the power levels do not vary (ditto zoom changes). The flash is set to TTL and all function setting are at the defaults (I've trued other setting too). Both Tx and Rx show the Af540FGZ II flash.
I am new to the Cactus system so I could be missing something simple. But it seems to me the Cactus is not communicating with the flash. What should I change or test?

10-27-2016, 12:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The Pentax flash should be set to P-TTL, not TTL ....that may be the issue. Even though the MkII flash model doesn't support the old TTL mode, it can sometimes still display it. I've seen it when using it on a Cactus V6 and there are some other reports here also .... Some sort of technology hangover from the old model.

TTL is a brand generic common shortening often used, but nowadays it invariably means the digital era modern automatic flash mode, eg I-TTL, E-TTL ii, P-TTL etc.

Last edited by mcgregni; 10-27-2016 at 12:18 AM.
10-27-2016, 01:44 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rrsell Quote
I cannot get the power sync to work (I have not tried HSS). The power setting are transferred from the Cactus Tx to the Cactus Rx (I see these in the cactus panels) and the flash fires. But the power levels do not vary (ditto zoom changes).
If you are using shutter speeds beyond the sync-speed then the power level must be fixed to full power. That's how PowerSync works. It utilises the long duration of a full power pulse to illuminate all of the frame.

For slower shutter speeds, however, you should be able to vary the power levels. Use HSS, if you want to vary power levels at all shutter speeds.

BTW, changing zoom levels should always work. Chances are your flash is not in the right (P-TTL) mode, as mcgregni said.

P.S.: You should have created your own trouble shooting thread instead of posting in a pretty much unrelated thread.
10-27-2016, 05:01 AM   #7

mcgregni Thanks for your help. Your flash guide is great too.
Per your suggestion, I set the flash to P-TTL. The flash only presents P-TTL with Wireless included (and Slave, Control & Master options). With this setting, the V6ii does not even fire the flash. Nor does the test button on the V6ii Rx work. My understanding is that Pentax Wireless is light controlled while the Cactus Wireless is radio controlled.

ClassA Thanks too.

---------- Post added 10-27-2016 at 07:05 AM ----------

mcgregni Additional note. If I put the AF540FGZ II flash in the K-3II hot shoe, I can get a plain P-TLL to display (and it works correctly on camera). Without turning off the flash, I can mount it on the V6ii in Rx mode. Test button still does not fire the flash. If I turn off the flash while on the V6ii, then turn it on again, I cannot access the plain P-TLL without Wireless mode. There clearly is something I do not understand here.

10-27-2016, 06:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I think you're just mixing up your different 'wireless' systems. You are using the Cactus radio trigger system, not the Pentax wireless system. So on the Pentax flash used with the receiver Cactus unit, you should NOT set the wireless mode. Use plain vanilla P-TTL mode. This should be the 'switch on default' mode.

Also, I would always switch off both flash and trigger before attaching or detaching them.

Thanks for your mention of my Guide, hope it helps with some things

---------- Post added 27-10-16 at 14:02 ----------

Regarding the PowerSync (ie 'hyper-sync') issue, which ClassA has explained, I just question why you want to use that? I see that technique as essentially a workaround abd compromise when there is no HSS capable flash available ....

With the Pentax AF-540II then the obvious choice with a pair of V6IIs is HSS mode ....bye the way, for HSS work then set the flash to 'P-TTL HS' mode (again, not wireless) .
10-27-2016, 11:03 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
I think you're just mixing up your different 'wireless' systems. You are using the Cactus radio trigger system, not the Pentax wireless system. So on the Pentax flash used with the receiver Cactus unit, you should NOT set the wireless mode. Use plain vanilla P-TTL mode. This should be the 'switch on default' mode.

Also, I would always switch off both flash and trigger before attaching or detaching them.

Thanks for your mention of my Guide, hope it helps with some things

---------- Post added 27-10-16 at 14:02 ----------

Regarding the PowerSync (ie 'hyper-sync') issue, which ClassA has explained, I just question why you want to use that? I see that technique as essentially a workaround abd compromise when there is no HSS capable flash available ....

With the Pentax AF-540II then the obvious choice with a pair of V6IIs is HSS mode ....bye the way, for HSS work then set the flash to 'P-TTL HS' mode (again, not wireless) .
Many thanks for your personal reply.
I do understand the two different “wireless” systems. I tried various alternatives in the hope of discovering an answer to my problem.
I’ll trace the steps I use to try to get the Cactus V6II’s to do Power Sync. Perhaps you’ll spot an error.
I installed the latest firmware upgrade to my Cactus V6II (V1.1.004 dated 5/9/2016). My AF540FGZ II flash has all functions set to defaults (including Fn5:Slave mode #1 “When taking pictures in wireless mode” Note: I have tried option 2 as well without a difference.).
With both units turned off, I connect my flash to my Cactus while listening to the hot shoe for a “click” before locking the units together. I connect my Pentax K-3II and a Cactus V6II the same way.
I turn on the flash; it displays P-TTL.
I turn on the Cactus with RX. The Cactus displays full battery, Ch 5, AF540F2, 1/8th, the Pentax flash icon, and the radio antennae icon showing strong connection. Group B button is on.
I turn on my Pentax K-3II, Manual mode, 1/90th, f22, ISO100, 70mm lens. With shutter half depressed, I turn on the Cactus in TX mode. The Cactus displays full battery, ch 5, 1/8th under the B group and the B group light is on.
Press menu on the Cactus, Function shows POWER SYNC, other off including TLL PASSTHROUGH. Camera & Flash System = Pentax; flash Profile Pentax AF540F2. Power Mode I change from RELATIVE to ABSOLUTE (SETUP)>OK and the Cactus displays 1 flash found.
Press test button on Cactus on flash: Flash fires. Press test button on camera Cactus: Flash fires. I adjust power settings on the Cactus TX. Settings transfer to flash Cactus.
With EV9.5 (lowest setting) I take picture of wall hanging (Sorry I did not have a stuffed bear to put on a rooftop!). Get a slightly under exposed image.
I change the EV to 16.5 (highest) which the flash Cactus shows. I take a picture. The exposures are identical. It would appear that the on-flash Cactus does not communicate with the flash unit.
As you might guess, I have played around with all sorts of settings with out success. The above outline is how I think the units should work. But they don’t.
As an aside I also have a Cactus V6–upgraded to make it compatible with the V6II. Altho I have not tested this pair as extensively, the same problem exits. Could the Cactus V6II upgrade be faulty?
Any ideas? Really thanks in advance for you time. Ralph Sell
10-27-2016, 02:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I hope that ClassA and other more experienced 'Hyper-Synchers' than me will chip in as well .....

Firstly, the Pentax slave mode won't have relevance, as the flash is not working in wireless mode.

Did you see ClassA's post above? He said that PowerSync utilises the flashes full power output. So there is no logic or purpose to making power adjustments with that technique. Flash exposure must be controlled with ISO, aperture and distance adjustments.

So for your example above at 1/90th sec, you don't use PowerSync ....use the normal working mode. As ClassA also said, HSS is the way to go if you want to be able to adjust power from the TX trigger, when beyond the max sync figure.

I'm not a V6II user, so I can't say exactly how to configure the Cactus TX unit to operate in these three different ways, but there will surely be others who will be able to ......

Last edited by mcgregni; 10-27-2016 at 02:48 PM.
10-27-2016, 03:22 PM   #11

I hope that ClassA and other more experienced 'Hyper-Synchers' than me will chip in as well .....

Firstly, the Pentax slave mode won't have relevance, as the flash is not working in wireless mode.

Did you see ClassA's post above? He said that PowerSync utilises the flashes full power output. So there is no logic or purpose to making power adjustments with that technique. Flash exposure must be controlled with ISO, aperture and distance adjustments.

So for your example above at 1/90th sec, you don't use PowerSync ....use the normal working mode. As ClassA also said, HSS is the way to go if you want to be able to adjust power from the TX trigger, when beyond the max sync figure.

I'm not a V6II user, so I can't say exactly how to configure the Cactus TX unit to operate in these three different ways, but there will surely be others who will be able to ......
Thanks again.
I changed the Sync Mode on the V6II Rx to "HSS OFF" Results were the same.
I will want to use HSS at some point, but right now I have the simpler goal of independently controlling 2 flashes at below sync speed. I started with just one flash and am not getting very far.

Per ClassA's suggestion, I'll start a new trouble shooting thread.
10-28-2016, 06:12 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by rrsell Quote
Thanks again.
I changed the Sync Mode on the V6II Rx to "HSS OFF" Results were the same.
I will want to use HSS at some point, but right now I have the simpler goal of independently controlling 2 flashes at below sync speed. I started with just one flash and am not getting very far.

Per ClassA's suggestion, I'll start a new trouble shooting thread.
I thought you'all might be interested in how my problem got solved.
I separately sent a note to Cactus about my problem and they had a surprising solution. Even though in this example I am NOT using HSS, I needed to set my flash to HSS. Apparently the Pentax HSS protocol is what Cactus uses to communicate with the flash even if HSS is not used.
This is really counter intuitive, but whatever.
10-28-2016, 06:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Ok, interesting thanks! I've been trying to get a good feel for the various mode combinations required for the new features available with the V6II.

So, just to clarify, are you saying that for PowerSync working that the flash needs to be in HS sync mode ...? There's a logic to that, because the camera needs to 'believe' there's an HSS capable flash attached in order to trigger beyond the Max Sync figure. But again, only full power should be used. I am assuming at this point that the V6II itself sets this power automatically, because on Pentax flashes it is not possible to combine HS sync with manual power mode, only P-TTL ......so it seems that the only setting that requires cycling on and off is HS sync on the flash, as you move within or beyond the Max Sync time.

If I understand correctly from what ClassA and other Cactus experts have said on related threads, the V6II itself will automatically switch into and out of HSS operation depending on the time value set on the camera.

I think where you made things confusing before was in trying to use PowerSync with a shutter speed of 1/90th .....
10-28-2016, 07:47 AM   #14

Ok, interesting thanks! I've been trying to get a good feel for the various mode combinations required for the new features available with the V6II.

So, just to clarify, are you saying that for PowerSync working that the flash needs to be in HS sync mode ...? There's a logic to that, because the camera needs to 'believe' there's an HSS capable flash attached in order to trigger beyond the Max Sync figure. But again, only full power should be used. I am assuming at this point that the V6II itself sets this power automatically, because on Pentax flashes it is not possible to combine HS sync with manual power mode, only P-TTL ......so it seems that the only setting that requires cycling on and off is HS sync on the flash, as you move within or beyond the Max Sync time.

If I understand correctly from what ClassA and other Cactus experts have said on related threads, the V6II itself will automatically switch into and out of HSS operation depending on the time value set on the camera.

I think where you made things confusing before was in trying to use PowerSync with a shutter speed of 1/90th .....
mcgregni,

Yes you are correct. Actually the operation is much simpler. With the Flash set to HSS, I can use all shutter speeds. This is really a great design on the part of Cactus, but they really need help in the Operation Manual department.

I have not examined the Max Sync feature so I cannot comment, but your logic seems correct.

Cheers
10-28-2016, 08:42 AM   #15
Pentaxian

So, just to clarify, are you saying that for PowerSync working that the flash needs to be in HS sync mode ...?
Perhaps that is the case with the 540 FGZ II, however, I doubt it.

My Metz 58 AF-2 does not need to be in P-TTL HSS mode for PowerSync to work and indeed PowerSync is primarily made for flashes that don't support HSS. Having a requirement that a flash needs to be in HSS mode for PowerSync to work would defeat most of the applications for PowerSync.

PowerSync definitely also works with purely manual flashes that are simply set to full power.

A not entirely unrelated but certainly different question is which conditions need to be met for the flash to support remote power level changes. It should be sufficient to just set the flash to a mode in which it would communicate with a camera (such as P-TTL, but not necessarily P-TTL HSS).

There's a logic to that, because the camera needs to 'believe' there's an HSS capable flash attached in order to trigger beyond the Max Sync figure.
The camera only sees the V6II transmitter on top of it. There is no communication between the flash and the camera via radio. If the V6II transmitter fools the to be a a P-TTL HSS capable flash (e.g., because it is set to "HSS NORMAL" mode), it does not matter anymore what kind of flashes it will trigger.

...so it seems that the only setting that requires cycling on and off is HS sync on the flash, as you move within or beyond the Max Sync time.
No such cycling is required.

The sync-speed limit becomes completely transparent when the V6II is set to "HSS NORMAL" mode. In "POWER SYNC" mode, there is no more power-level control when shutter speeds exceed the sync-speed, but no manual re-adjustment of settings is necessary anywhere. In "HSS OFF" mode, the V6II will prevent the camera from using shutter speeds that exceed the sync-speed in order to prevent the user from using HSS (or losing flash) accidentally.