Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2016, 09:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Quick Impressions of the Godox TT560II

My primary flash is a Cactus RF60. It has been reliable in its thousands of flashes. Recently I got a Godox TT560II as another flash, mostly for portrait use. Since I've not seen too much on the internet about this flash, I've decided to list my impressions of it. So far I've fired about fifty flashes out of it.

Build quality: feels well-built. It fits well on the camera. However, the plastic flash stand that it comes with is pretty imprecisely manufactured, and the flash attaches to it with difficulty. The trigger also doesn't fit as smoothly on the camera as the Cactus V5.

Features: it has few features. It doesn't zoom. It lacks the advanced features of the RF60 like delay, multiple flash burst, LCD display, and of course doesn't have a transceiver in it like the RF60. It does have a built in receiver and comes with a basic radio transmitter.

It can be adjusted from 1/128-1/1 power, but only in full stops. The RF60 is in 1/3-stop increments.

Triggering: as mentioned, it comes with a radio trigger. The radio trigger is pretty basic, but has 16 channels that can be changed using a 4-switch mechanism. It is not nearly as sophisticated as a Cactus V5, and the battery cannot be changed, at least not easily. There are no screws on it, so probably it would have to be pried open to change the battery. I might try that when it dies. Optical slave triggering works well, and since I'm using it as a second flash, using a Cactus V5 to trigger the RF60 and then optical triggering the TT560II usually works. Note: the radio channels don't seem to work with the Cactus frequencies, but I've only tried a few combinations.

Do I recommend it? It's too early to tell. If it doesn't suffer the common full-power only bug of the Yongnuo flashes I've heard about (or any other showstopper), then I would definitely recommend it. But I'll have to fire several thousand more bursts from it first before I trust it.

11-01-2016, 01:32 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for posting this. I have a couple of Powerextra DF-400 units which are the same as the old Godox TT520 - a slightly less powerful version of your TT560II, without the radio trigger. I've had them for a couple of months now and so far they're problem free. I imagine the trigger system in yours is an integrated version of the low-cost 4-channel 433MHz units commonly available (I have some branded "Kaavie"), and I've found these to be excellent.

Regarding the transmitter unit, is there a quality control or other sticker perhaps covering a screw hole? If not, then prying it apart may be the only way. I'm pretty sure any of the generic 4-channel 433MHz transmitters would work as a replacement, so if all else fails you could pick another one of those up as and when necessary - they're very cheap.
11-01-2016, 10:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Didn't know they made flashes, too. I just bought a package of Godox radio triggers for my monolights. Guessing the camera bit is the same on mine that you have. It said in the instructions that it's using a button cell - IIRC it said it was a 2032, or maybe 2 of them, and that they should last for some excessive amount of time. I THINK it said they were user serviceable, but I could be mistaken. f course I don't have them in front of me. The receivers use a couple AAA batteries.
11-01-2016, 06:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Regarding the transmitter unit, is there a quality control or other sticker perhaps covering a screw hole?.
Brilliant! There actually is a screw under the sticker. Thank you for pointing that out. Very sneaky.