Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2016, 02:47 PM   #16
Veteran Member

A quick look at the PDF Manual available on the manufacturers website, this catches my eye ....

'High Speed Sync – HSS/Auto FP
High Speed Sync (HSS) mode is used to shoot at shutter speeds higher than a
camera’s set flash sync speed (typically 1/200-1/250s). This is useful when using
aperture priority mode and in limiting ambient light. HSS results may vary with
different camera models – refer to your camera user manual for more details.
Please note:
1. HSS function is supported by the Phottix Indra500 TTL Studio Light, but it
cannot be set on the studio light itself.

2. The camera, flash trigger and receiving mode can greatly affect HSS mode.
For best results in HSS mode please use recommended Phottix flash triggers.
Please see the “Compatibility Table” below and refer to your flash trigger and
camera user manuals for more details.
3. HSS function will not work in Manual and Multi Stroboscopic mode.'

So, key point is that HSS cannot be set manually. Also Manual mode is not compatible. The dedicated triggers appear to be required. Does this mean that what I was surmising earlier, about a TTL integration and communication with the dedicated flash system (ie Canon, Nikon or Sony) is a requirement here. In other words, HSS with a Pentax Camera, even when using 'HSS enabling' triggers like the V6II, is simply a no no with this studio light ... ?

OP, are you still looking at this?

11-06-2016, 07:49 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
In other words, HSS with a Pentax Camera, even when using 'HSS enabling' triggers like the V6II, is simply a no no with this studio light ... ?
You are taking the conclusion too far.

Paulster and I described ways to use the V6II as an "HSS enabler" in conjunction with native triggers.

So even if the Indra requires the use of Phottix triggers then this doesn't mean one cannot use them with a Pentax camera for HSS photography.

Good on you for consulting the manual, the excerpts you quoted are very useful. In general I'd be cautious regarding statements about avoiding third-party products -- e.g., a somewhat superficial reading of a Pentax camera manual can leave one with the impression that only genuine Pentax lenses are supported -- but the statement about HSS being unavailable in manual mode probably means that PowerSync or the combined use of a suitable Phottix trigger with a V6II are the only options left.

Last edited by Class A; 11-07-2016 at 08:06 AM.
11-06-2016, 09:30 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fwbigd Quote
While I had no experience with the Phottix Indra 500 system I have been able to obtain HSS with the Cactus V6ii trigger and receiver using on Godox AD360 and Elinchrom studio flashes to 1/8000 of a second with the flash system set to "Nikon" on my K-1. I don't know why it works when the flash system is set to "Nikon" but it does. I tried other flash system and they do not work. Therefore, I would suggest trying the following:

1. Set the on camera trigger Cactus V6ii to Camera System "Pentax" and the Flash System to "Nikon" and "Normal HSS. Do not set the Flash System to "Auto Nikon"
2. Set the Cactus receiver to "Nikon" for the flash system.

Here are my previous post on HSS https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/330535-hss-pentax-k-1-cact...ml#post3783865 and https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/327358-pentax...ml#post3734063

Let us know if this works.
Wow, really, you've been able to get these to work with your Elinchromes? Oh my, that could make my day!!
11-07-2016, 10:13 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Going back to ClassA's post just above ..... yes, I think we've eliminated the possibility of 'Manual HSS' via V6IIs and a cable.

However, the question of using V6IIs as 'HSS Enablers' combined with a 'Strobe dedicated' (eg manufacturers own) trigger system is not yet resolved. The next point to explore is something I raised early on ... the question of whether the HSS capability of this strobe depends on system specific TTL dedication. If so, this will limit the feature to Canon, Nikon or Sony models,when used with specific 'Radio TTL' triggers . On the surface, looking at the product descriptions and specs, it seems to be a reasonable assumption, would everyone agree?

However, I wonder if the OP has lost interest? MDR Photo, would it be fair to assume you used the Indra500 strobe previously with a different brand of camera, and just hoped it would work out with the 645Z? It may be that you have to look to a different lighting solution for your studio HSS needs.....

The HyperSync approach may be a workable alternative, but its surely more difficult and restricting to work with than genuine HSS .... ?

11-07-2016, 07:21 PM   #20

Original Poster
Yes I'm still reading, it's only been a couple of days. I've used Phottix with Sony for the last few years and love their products. The indra is an incredible light, I contacted the Anon people and they said their trigger should work with the indra. If that doesn't work I'll star t exploring other options. But I love the indra, it's an amazing light (one of the best I've used.)
11-07-2016, 07:33 PM - 1 Like   #21

Do you have the Phottix trigger? And, if so, which version of it (Canon, Nikon, etc.)? Phottix don't make a Pentax one, so I'll be surprised if the Acon will do what you need, as that essentially emulates a cabled connection for a Pentax brand flash, preserving the P-TTL signals. It won't let you use another format of flash though (e.g. a Canon). I'd think you'd be best off taking advantage of the format-translation that the Cactus offers so that you can get the Phottix trigger to think that you have a Canon or Nikon camera (as appropriate). Then you have to figure whether you want a stack of triggers, or to use a V6 II receiver to fire the Phottix trigger.

It would be much easier if you could just enable HSS on the Phottix unit, but sadly that isn't an option.
11-14-2016, 03:08 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulster Quote
Do you have the Phottix trigger? And, if so, which version of it (Canon, Nikon, etc.)? Phottix don't make a Pentax one, so I'll be surprised if the Acon will do what you need, as that essentially emulates a cabled connection for a Pentax brand flash, preserving the P-TTL signals. It won't let you use another format of flash though (e.g. a Canon). I'd think you'd be best off taking advantage of the format-translation that the Cactus offers so that you can get the Phottix trigger to think that you have a Canon or Nikon camera (as appropriate). Then you have to figure whether you want a stack of triggers, or to use a V6 II receiver to fire the Phottix trigger.

It would be much easier if you could just enable HSS on the Phottix unit, but sadly that isn't an option.
Well, I contacted acon about the trigger and they said it would work with the phottix. So we shall see

11-14-2016, 03:46 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by MDR Foto Quote
Well, I contacted acon about the trigger and they said it would work with the phottix. So we shall see
You still haven't told us whether you have an actual Phottix trigger. Per the manual for the flash system you can't enable HSS at all without having one of the Phottix triggers to turn it on/off, so that's going to be a prerequisite for you.

If you don't then the Acon triggers won't make any difference as you still won't be able to set the flashes into HSS mode.

If you have the trigger then there are a couple of different ways of hooking up the V6 II transceivers that may well work, but you haven't really given us enough information yet.
11-14-2016, 05:04 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MDR Foto Quote
If by "the phottix" you mean the Indra 500 then I don't see how the Acon trigger is going to help you.

If by "the phottix" you mean a Phottix trigger then you should already be able to use the V6II to fire the Indra 500. Here's an image from someone doing the same with Profoto strobes:

This image was posted by Cactus on their community forum.

The depicted setup has the advantage of only using one trigger on the camera, but as paulster said earlier, you can also just put the Phottix trigger directly on top of the on-camera V6II.
11-14-2016, 05:12 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The depicted setup has the advantage of only using one trigger on the camera, but as paulster said earlier, you can also just put the Phottix trigger directly on top of the on-camera V6II.
Or, I was thinking, that if (and this is a big 'if') the Phottix trigger is only required in order to be able to put the flash in HSS mode, it may be possible to use a V6 II Tx and Rx pair with a cable to the strobe, and then just use the Phottix trigger handheld purely for power control and to switch HSS on.

So there are potentially three different ways of getting this to work, but all are predicated on having the Phottix trigger. Changing from Cactus to Acon won't make any difference to that.
11-14-2016, 07:10 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Or, I was thinking, that if (and this is a big 'if') the Phottix trigger is only required in order to be able to put the flash in HSS mode, it may be possible to use a V6 II Tx and Rx pair with a cable to the strobe, and then just use the Phottix trigger handheld purely for power control and to switch HSS on.
True, that's indeed a third potential solution.

I think the chances of the Phottix trigger not being needed for the actual triggering are pretty slim -- if a one-time activation of HSS-mode worked, why not allow a manual setup on the strobe itself, as Godox does? -- but you are right, it is a possibility.

So there are potentially three different ways of getting this to work, but all are predicated on having the Phottix trigger. Changing from Cactus to Acon won't make any difference to that.
Yes, I see it the same way.
11-15-2016, 11:03 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Is there not one blinding and glaringly obvious essential item missing from the configurations here being discussed .....a Sony, Canon, or Nikon camera (depending on the system dedication of the particular Indra500) ? .....
11-15-2016, 11:30 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Is there not one blinding and glaringly obvious essential item missing from the configurations here being discussed .....a Sony, Canon, or Nikon camera (depending on the system dedication of the particular Indra500) ? .....
Not necessarily, because the V6 II does format translation between systems, so it can appear as a Canon camera to a Canon flash (or trigger), or a Nikon camera to a Nikon flash, even on a Pentax camera.

You won't have TTL functionality, but HSS doesn't usually require this if you can switch it on in manual mode.
11-15-2016, 11:58 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Which we can't here in this case. My premise is based on the belief that the studio light itself depends on correct TTL integration for HSS, same as a dedicated system Speedlite.

I'm not really seeing the Cactus triggers as performing the sort of cross-system compatibility as you say....I don't think they make cameras and flashes ' think' they are linked to particular camera system types .... More I see it that they actually make the equipment think they are not connected to any particular system.....

---------- Post added 15-11-16 at 19:23 ----------

I suppose we could think of it like this .... Yes, the Pentax camera will be tricked into thinking there's an HSS flash attached to it.

However, how is the Indra500 to be tricked into thinking that its system dedicated radio trigger is connected to a Canon/Sony/Nikon camera?

Last edited by mcgregni; 11-15-2016 at 12:08 PM.
11-15-2016, 12:45 PM   #30

The V6 II transceivers can talk different flash protocols. That's why they detect the flash type and change their communication protocol to match. You'll see what when you put a Nikon, Camera, Pentax, etc. flash on the unit and it displays the corresponding flash communication protocol that it has selected. That's also how people have got Profoto Air transmitters (which are also sold in dedicated versions) working with the 645Z using HSS, despite them not selling a Pentax version of the Air transmitter. TTL metering won't work though, but manual control of the flash across systems should.

The Phottix is interesting because it seems that TTL as described on the strobe heads isn't necessarily TTL as we'd expect. TTL mode on the head seems to mean that it is handing over all control to the transmitter (and presumably enabling bidirectional communication with the transmitter). The transmitter can operate in full TTL mode (which I wouldn't expect to work with a V6 II) or in manual mode, and I can't see anything that suggests that it doesn't support HSS in manual mode, in which case the likelihood is that it will work in this instance.

It would be a lot easier to draw conclusions if the OP would tell us whether he has a Phottix transmitter or not. Without that there's no chance of getting any sort of HSS to work, as that's a prerequisite for the strobe heads.