Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2016, 10:03 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Cactus RF60 Wireless Flash With Wireless Flash Transceiver V6 Single - deal or not?

I spotted that bundle at Adorama
Cactus RF60 Wireless Flash With Wireless Flash Transceiver V6 Single DICFLACACRF60 A

I do have cheap Bolt flash for Pentax, but this RF60 with V6 seems working for other systems as well since I don't have flash for Canon camera.

So, I'm thinking that buying that combo gives me flexibility of using off camera flash not only for Pentax, but for other system. I either get rid off Bolt, or buy an extra V6 for it later.
For the price it seems a good deal, but I'm not sure.

11-08-2016, 10:38 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer / mod
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought this same bundle last year - I like the V6 + RF60; it gives me a lot of flexibility in what/where/how I can shoot with multiple flashes...

( I just don't use them enough! )
11-08-2016, 11:22 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have used the V6 Transceivers (although sparingly) on the K-3 in conjunction with an AF 360FGZ and an AF 540FGZ, only in manual mode though, and they worked just fine. If I ever needed/wanted an additional flash I would probably get the RF60. For as rarely as I use flash, I think the Cactus brand is a good value.
11-08-2016, 02:17 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I spotted that bundle at Adorama
Cactus RF60 Wireless Flash With Wireless Flash Transceiver V6 Single DICFLACACRF60 A

I do have cheap Bolt flash for Pentax, but this RF60 with V6 seems working for other systems as well since I don't have flash for Canon camera.

So, I'm thinking that buying that combo gives me flexibility of using off camera flash not only for Pentax, but for other system. I either get rid off Bolt, or buy an extra V6 for it later.
For the price it seems a good deal, but I'm not sure.
I have three RF60 flashes and three V6 remotes. This allows me to use up to five flashes (a Pentax 540, a Metz 52 and three RF60 units) for various projects.

If you have to get one trigger, make sure to get the V6II which allows for HSS. I have not tried the V6II myself but I hear it does the job. I have had a few occasions (sunny outside) shoots that I could have used higher than 200 shutter speeds. Otherwise the flash and the remote are reliable enough for me. There are the occasional misfires but for most part they are solid.

I let go of my studio Alien Bees flash units a few years ago and this set up is my goto lighting for any studio work. I know to most pros "this is not professional enough," but for me these units have delivered so far. I use MagMod modifiers, umbrellas and soft boxes to shape the lights.

11-08-2016, 02:20 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Huge Cactus fan here. I keep adding to my kit and now have 3 Cactus RF60's, 2 Cactus V6 Transcievers and an AF360FGZ. Also have two sets of cactus RF60 colour corrected diffusers. Just ordered two Cactus CB60 Soft Boxes. All of the Cactus items are great value for what you get.

I found the Pentax Forums Cactus RF60 review helpful: Cactus RF60 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

User reviews are here: Cactus RF60 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Last edited by Saltwater Images; 11-08-2016 at 02:20 PM. Reason: typo
11-08-2016, 03:29 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
If you have to get one trigger, make sure to get the V6II which allows for HSS. I have not tried the V6II myself but I hear it does the job. I have had a few occasions (sunny outside) shoots that I could have used higher than 200 shutter speeds. Otherwise the flash and the remote are reliable enough for me.
The trigger in that bundle is V6, and that's another thing I'm thinking: either to spend more and buy flash and V6II instead. The difference in price will be about $80.
11-08-2016, 05:10 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
The trigger in that bundle is V6, and that's another thing I'm thinking: either to spend more and buy flash and V6II instead. The difference in price will be about $80.
The extra money is worth it if you think you might use it outdoors.
11-08-2016, 06:11 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Agreed on the V6II. If you want HSS then the V6II is the right call. I will probably add one V6II to my kit eventually...not sure if it's worth it in this dark, foggy sub-attic tundra...it's not like we see much sunlight up here anyway:-)

11-08-2016, 08:58 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yep, Florida is pretty much bright. And I'd like fill flash outdoors.
11-08-2016, 10:30 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Sorry to high jack the thread, but will the V6ii work with the Metz 58v1 and 50 for HSS? Thank you. If so, does it mean that I will need to buy 3 pcs of the V6ii? Thank you.
11-08-2016, 11:19 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

You will need 3 V6II units if you are to use 2 off-camera Metz flashes That's the bit I can answer ! Metz compatibility has been a developing picture, but I've seen reports that the 58 model is good to go ... Not sure about the 50 .....