Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2016, 01:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Will this power pack help with recycle time for my 540 flash?

I have the old style 540, so it should have an input for high voltage battery pack. I am looking for faster recycle time. I used ISO 1600 to achieve faster recycle, but would like to lower it. I am not a pro, but infrequently shoot family events and I hate having to wait for the flash to recycle.

Will this combo work? Both offered through Amazon. Godox 960 and Quantum CN3 cable. The battery pack has Lithiom ion batteries so doesn't have memory and can be partially charged.

Amazon.com : Godox Propac 4500mAh PB960 Flash Power Battery Pack Kit with Dual Output for Godox AD360 AD180 Flash Canon 580EX II, 580EX, 550EX, Nikon SB-900 SB-800 SB-80DX, SONY HVL-F58AM HVL-F43AM, Metz Flash, includes:(1)Orange PB960 Battery Kit :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PRW8SE6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&p...=AYD2N2785NNMV

This past thread helped me. Just want to confirm it will speed up recycle time. Also, any cheaper equally good alternatives?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/306467-batter...x-flashes.html

Thanks!

---------- Post added 11-16-2016 at 01:06 PM ----------

How about this one? It's only $40

FB-4

11-16-2016, 04:18 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The FB-4 might help. The orange power pack should not be compatible. Not sure if there is a way to adapt it safely. The best option is to use multiple flashes and have each have to put out less power. A second flash would help a lot but it becomes bulky to lug around. If you are going to be in the same area set one on a tripod in bounce mode and have the other on camera ...

In theory the PTTL will handle exposure from two flashes...
11-16-2016, 11:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Have you also considered trying better batteries? I think the latest rechargeable types can offer better speeds and may well give you good enough recycling, without the extra bulk to carry and overheating risks of a power pack.
11-17-2016, 04:00 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My wife bought this: Flash Battery Pack replaces Pentax TR Power Pack III. - JJC external battery pack and it probably shortened recharge time by 50 percent. It takes AA batteries, while the Pentax external battery pack takes D batteries (I think). I'm not sure where you can buy it though now. It was a lot cheaper than the Pentax battery pack (which we own one of too).

11-17-2016, 04:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The FB-4 might help. The orange power pack should not be compatible. Not sure if there is a way to adapt it safely. The best option is to use multiple flashes and have each have to put out less power. A second flash would help a lot but it becomes bulky to lug around. If you are going to be in the same area set one on a tripod in bounce mode and have the other on camera ...

In theory the PTTL will handle exposure from two flashes...
I don't want to get into moving multiple flashes. Thanks!

---------- Post added 11-17-2016 at 04:05 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Have you also considered trying better batteries? I think the latest rechargeable types can offer better speeds and may well give you good enough recycling, without the extra bulk to carry and overheating risks of a power pack.
It's been at least 5 years since I've looked into theses. The last time I checked eneloops were recommended, do you have any recommendations?

---------- Post added 11-17-2016 at 04:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
My wife bought this: Flash Battery Pack replaces Pentax TR Power Pack III. - JJC external battery pack and it probably shortened recharge time by 50 percent. It takes AA batteries, while the Pentax external battery pack takes D batteries (I think). I'm not sure where you can buy it though now. It was a lot cheaper than the Pentax battery pack (which we own one of too).
It looks like the link you provided is the same kit as my second option

FB-4

That's only $40. Can you tell me how it compares to the Pentax and whether it actually reduces recycle time by 50%?

My understanding is these might just prolong battery life, only specific models which I think had higher voltage or some other parameter are the only ones that reduces recycle time. I remember many saying 5 years ago the Pentax one just increased battery life.[COLOR="Silver"]

Last edited by pcarfan; 11-17-2016 at 04:17 AM.
11-17-2016, 04:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm not the one for the electronic and technical details, but the general principle of the Pentax accessory is that it bypasses the internal AA battery supply and feeds the higher capacity supply from the pack directly to the flash capacitor .... The AA batteries remain in place inside the flash to provide the low voltage to the LCD screen and the controls.

Last edited by mcgregni; 11-17-2016 at 04:34 AM.
11-17-2016, 04:32 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
I don't want to get into moving multiple flashes. Thanks!

---------- Post added 11-17-2016 at 04:05 AM ----------

It's been at least 5 years since I've looked into theses. The last time I checked eneloops were recommended, do you have any recommendations?

It looks like the link you provided is the same kit as my second option

FB-4

That's only $40. Can you tell me how it compares to the Pentax and whether it actually reduces recycle time by 50%?

My understanding is these might just prolong battery life, only specific models which I think had higher voltage or some other parameter are the only ones that reduces recycle time. I remember many saying 5 years ago the Pentax one just increased battery life.[COLOR="Silver"]

I don't have any specific times and it probably depends on the flash settings/how charged up your batteries are, but the AA battery pack certainly seemed to work well. The Pentax version is a bit bigger, since it takes C batteries. I specifically remember that the AA pack had slightly faster recharge time than the Pentax battery pack.

Anyway, wife uses them to shoot weddings and they shortened the recycle time enough that she was pleased with either of them. I don't use them as I don't need really fast recycle times for shooting family snapshots and they are kind of clunky to hook up and drag around.

11-17-2016, 04:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm not a power flash user, so I get by with bulk supplies of Alkalines, but definitely the eneloops are the prime recommendation around here
11-17-2016, 05:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all. I contacted the Amazon vendor who contacted the manufacturer and confirmed the Godox 960 and quantum CN3 cable will work with the flash.
11-17-2016, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

If you can live with manual exposures (inside it shouldn't be a problem), you would save money and increase convenience by simply picking up a Godox V850 (or the Neewer TT850 version, which is identical). the Li-Ion batteries give you ludicrous recycle times. See here:

Godox Ving V850 System Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
11-17-2016, 06:54 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I use the black Eneloop batteries, and can get recycle times of 6 seconds or so indefinitely. I'm not sure what your baseline is, though.
11-17-2016, 06:56 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
I'm not the one for the electronic and technical details, but the general principle of the Pentax accessory is that it bypasses the internal AA battery supply and feeds the higher capacity supply from the pack directly to the flash capacitor .... The AA batteries remain in place inside the flash to provide the low voltage to the LCD screen and the controls.
Thanks, that's helpful. I've wondered why flash the batteries were still needed.

---------- Post added 11-17-2016 at 06:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't have any specific times and it probably depends on the flash settings/how charged up your batteries are, but the AA battery pack certainly seemed to work well. The Pentax version is a bit bigger, since it takes C batteries. I specifically remember that the AA pack had slightly faster recharge time than the Pentax battery pack.

Anyway, wife uses them to shoot weddings and they shortened the recycle time enough that she was pleased with either of them. I don't use them as I don't need really fast recycle times for shooting family snapshots and they are kind of clunky to hook up and drag around.
Thanks! You do make a good point about the extra weight and size.

---------- Post added 11-17-2016 at 06:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
If you can live with manual exposures (inside it shouldn't be a problem), you would save money and increase convenience by simply picking up a Godox V850 (or the Neewer TT850 version, which is identical). the Li-Ion batteries give you ludicrous recycle times. See here:

Godox Ving V850 System Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
hmmm! I am spoiled with P-TTL and looks like this offers HSS only with Canon, is that true?

---------- Post added 11-17-2016 at 07:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
I use the black Eneloop batteries, and can get recycle times of 6 seconds or so indefinitely. I'm not sure what your baseline is, though.
6 sec sounds about right at around iso 200-400, which was slow and I bumped it to iso 1600 and was much shorter (max 2 sec)
11-17-2016, 07:04 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Oh, this is 6 second recycle time at full flash power and 100 ISO. So, probably still an improvement, but probably not as much as you're looking for.
11-17-2016, 07:36 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Nowadays, at least for users of our latest Pentax sensors, is there really much point anymore in ever shooting flash pics at ISO 100? ....

I'd have thought now a good base ISO for the majority of flash images (up to the max sync speed) would be ISO 800.? The DR loss from ISO 100 will be minor for most types of flash shots, don't you think, and you get 3stops extra power or extra DOF ...

(For HSS work then, to me, the only ISO that makes sense is 100) .
11-17-2016, 09:09 AM   #15

6 second is standard recycle time of fully discharged AF540.. but.. considering some ISO800+ shots.. that is a HELL A LOT OF LIGHT at full discharge.. are you guys shooting at F11 or?

With my K5 I often use even ISO1600 and AF540 is then able to lit even conference hall like 15 x 25m

Maybe consider different flash technique. Usually best results are when camera is just a bit underexposed without flash and then add a flash. Also it is important to aim flash on something to bounce off.. frequently I see guys with flash head turned up shooting outside, which is useless even with small matte diffuser attached to flash.

Considering batteries.. fastest seem to be fresh Ni-Cd AA batteries, but the problem is, that they are hard to get nowdays due to ecology and also they have low capacity around 800mAh each. And they die faster than Ni-Mh batteries. Best Ni-Mh I have are 2700mAh or 2500mAh regular Sanyo. Not Eneloop, but the standard ones. Eneloops are slower, they are better for electronic with low and constant power drain like voice recorders, mp3 players and stuff like that. Flash drains higher current.