Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
11-16-2016, 05:29 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax HSS with Cactus V6ii and Godox Ving 850 Flash - Success

Hi.

First, thanks to forum member fwbigd who posted using a very similar setup (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/330535-hss-pentax-k-1-cact...ml#post3783865).

I just wanted to confirm to other forum members that it definitely works with the Godox Ving 850.

As per fwbigd here are the steps in a bit more detail:
1. Mount Cactus trigger in camera hotshoe
2. Mount Godox Ft-16 trigger on the Cactus trigger
3. Set sync mode to Normal HSS (on Cactus V6 II trigger)
4. Set Camera System: Pentax (on Cactus V6 II trigger)
5. Set Flash System: Nikon (on Cactus V6 II trigger)
6. Set HSS mode on the Godox Ving 850 (long press the 3rd button under the LCD)

The steps in images to help anyone else who may try this are at the bottom of the post.

Good luck and enjoy having HSS with superfast recharge times and wireless manual control (godox FT-16 trigger) of the flashes.

Cheers,
Howie Be

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo   

Last edited by howieb101; 11-16-2016 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Extra info
11-17-2016, 01:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Thanks! That's a great and clear description and the pictures are appreciated too. Good job getting that all workiing!

Some questions now .... I'm assuming that the Godox receiver is built in to the flash as you don't show it, but I'm thinking that it is the cactus units that are performing the actual triggering, not the Godox? The Godix is just giving you convenient remote power control?

If so, does that mean that the Gidox Tx does not actually need to be on the camera at all ....? Or am I missing some essential aspect here?
11-17-2016, 05:04 AM   #3

if you are interested in hooking up to the godoxAD600 beast (which may be 1200ws with a extension that mounts 2 bulb maybe), you might want to look at this...
Is V6 II working on HSS with Godox AD600 bm? - Cactus Community
11-17-2016, 08:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
f so, does that mean that the Gidox Tx does not actually need to be on the camera at all ....? Or am I missing some essential aspect here?
Think of it this way the Cactus V6ii is a translator between the Pentax camera and the Godox Trigger. The Godox trigger is sending the translated information to the Godox Receiver in the flash telling it when to fire.

---------- Post added 11-17-2016 at 09:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by choong_dc Quote
if you are interested in hooking up to the godoxAD600 beast (which may be 1200ws with a extension that mounts 2 bulb maybe), you might want to look at this...
Is V6 II working on HSS with Godox AD600 bm? - Cactus Community
Thanks for the info.

11-17-2016, 08:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Well, yes, that is the bit I'm struggling with, to be honest ....I can't see how two independent trigger systems can be both responsible for firing the flash at the same time? It was shown earlier that there is a Cactus RX unit set to 'Flash System - Nikon' .... So I thought that was triggering the flash? If so, what is the built-in Godox trigger doing?

I assume that with the Godox TX on top of the Cactus, as shown, that the Godox would be sending a trigger signal also? So then I thought maybe it wasn't actually needed and was just being used to control the power level ....
11-17-2016, 10:32 AM   #6

The Godox is doing the triggering. The Cactus is merely acting as a format translator and HSS enabler. Its trigger signal isn't getting received by anything. It's merely there to convince the Godox transmitter that it's mounted on a Nikon HSS-capable camera, so the Godox transmitter and flash can talk, and to make the camera think it has a Pentax system flash attached to enable HSS capability.
11-17-2016, 10:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks .... Ok, so I can see that at the transmitting end, that makes sense. But the OP listed a Cactus RX unit, set to the Nikon profile.... I'm confused by that. Is there a Cactus RX at the flash end or not? If there is, what is it doing?

---------- Post added 17-11-16 at 17:54 ----------

Or am I wrong with that? Looking again it looks like that's the same Cactus on the camera..... Maybe there's no Cactus RX.......

11-17-2016, 01:06 PM   #8

I don't think there's a Cactus Rx. I think he has the Tx set to Pentax camera and Nikon flash, because he has a Nikon-dedicated version of the Godox Tx.

That should be all that's required.
11-17-2016, 01:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

That sounds like it, thanks. I see that post on the other thread just come up recently, where the Godox flash has been triggered In HSS mode by the Cactus units without a Godox transmitter at all ..... It got me a bit confused ��!
11-17-2016, 02:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just to help clarify some other points that have been raised.

The Godox Ving 850 flash has a receiver (albeit you have to plug it in manually).

As to setting the flash system to Nikon. According to Class A that is a firmware bug. As such, using the firmware as is, it definitely is a bit of a red herring. In an ideal world this would also be set to Pentax.

As to the Godox Ving 850 flash itself, it is brand agnostic and fully manual. It is not Nikon dedicated (just so no one is confused by Paulster's comment, #8).

Cheers,
Howie Be
11-17-2016, 02:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Also, to help reduce confusion, here is an image of the Godox Ving 850 flash showing the receiver.

Howie Be
Attached Images

11-17-2016, 02:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Yes, I remember those discussions now, about the bug and the need for the Nikon profile. So, you actually set two profiles on the V6II.....a camera system AND a flash system? That's where I got lead astray and thought you were setting up an RX unit as well. On my V6 I think I only set one profile, to the camera system.
01-19-2017, 05:43 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
Hi.

First, thanks to forum member fwbigd who posted using a very similar setup (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/330535-hss-pentax-k-1-cact...ml#post3783865).

I just wanted to confirm to other forum members that it definitely works with the Godox Ving 850.

As per fwbigd here are the steps in a bit more detail:
1. Mount Cactus trigger in camera hotshoe
2. Mount Godox Ft-16 trigger on the Cactus trigger
3. Set sync mode to Normal HSS (on Cactus V6 II trigger)
4. Set Camera System: Pentax (on Cactus V6 II trigger)
5. Set Flash System: Nikon (on Cactus V6 II trigger)
6. Set HSS mode on the Godox Ving 850 (long press the 3rd button under the LCD)

The steps in images to help anyone else who may try this are at the bottom of the post.

Good luck and enjoy having HSS with superfast recharge times and wireless manual control (godox FT-16 trigger) of the flashes.

Cheers,
Howie Be
I want to thank forum member fwbigd and howieb 101 for their post on HSS with Pentax. Using the Godox XT-16 you can use all the Flashpoint and Godox 2.4 strobes in manual mode HSS. This is another video on the process of HSS with Pentax.
Thank you forum members!!!!
01-20-2017, 09:16 AM   #14

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tkwock Quote
I want to thank forum member fwbigd and howieb 101 for their post on HSS with Pentax. Using the Godox XT-16 you can use all the Flashpoint and Godox 2.4 strobes in manual mode HSS. This is another video on the process of HSS with Pentax. Pentax HSS/Powersync/hypersync Tutorial With the K1 & Godox/Neewer/Flashpoint AD360 and Cactus V6ii - YouTube Thank you forum members!!!!
This is pretty exciting. Has anyone managed to recreate this set up with the new 2.4 GHZ equipment? The triggers are different of course.

Also, has anyone been able to do this with both AD360 and Godox speedlights in a 3 light (or more) set up?
01-20-2017, 06:16 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OhioAngie Quote
This is pretty exciting. Has anyone managed to recreate this set up with the new 2.4 GHZ equipment? The triggers are different of course.

Also, has anyone been able to do this with both AD360 and Godox speedlights in a 3 light (or more) set up?
OH Great. I thought my GAS had passed...

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 01-20-2017 at 07:09 PM.