Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2017, 06:48 PM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by Slavone Quote
I'm looking for info about cactus v6ii and really I'm completely confused?!?!?

Let start from beginning... I want to buy portable lamp about 300Ws and I will use it in hss mode (not power sync) wirless on k1/k5 that's mean I need cactus v6ii.
I have few questions:
1. can godox ad360 with radio controler FT-16 with cactus work in hss mode or only power sync???
2. can godox ad360ii-n with radio controler x1n with cactus work in hss mode???
3. do I need 1 or 2 cactus trigers???
Hi Slavone this might help.

10-29-2017, 09:04 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
1. can godox ad360 with radio controler FT-16 with cactus work in hss mode or only power sync???
You will be able to use HSS mode with a single Cactus V6 II and the Godox FT-16 transmitter mounted on top of the Cactus V6 II. No need to buy an additional Cactus trigger. You will have to have FTR-16 plugged into the AD360 Mark I. You have to put the Godox AD360 into HSS mode manually though.

See comment above. No need to buy another Cactus trigger.

Sorry, I cannot comment about point 2.

Some other links to read through carefully are:
HSS With Pentax K-1+Cactus V6ii and Godox 360 - PentaxForums.com
Pentax HSS with Cactus V6ii and Godox Witstro AD360 Flash Light Speedlite - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by howieb101; 10-29-2017 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Fix typo
10-30-2017, 01:59 PM   #33

Thanks guys for quick response.

I have read lots of informations about cactus v6II and pentax hss and I'm sure that not working like hss should work.
Of course power sync mode works fine but is just some kind of hss but not proper one.
The solution of the problem was in my brain cos I know how flash work and flash power adjustment is the problem and answer really because there are not such a thing like power adjustment in flashes!!! If we cut power for example 1/2 we really cut 1/2 flash duration (TIME of flash)... and the same happend in hss when we adjust power we cut time of each flash puls...
Anyway I ordered cactus v6ii and I will test it...
10-30-2017, 06:34 PM   #34
Pentaxian

There are two different AD 360 models (I vs II). You need to check whether the one you want supports manually engaging HSS. If the latter is possible then triggering with an FT-16 will work. You only need on V6II unit then. I know that the "I" variant supports this.

The Godox AD360II-C is a Canon-dedicated version and is supported by the V6II. You'd need two V6II units but then you'd get remote power control through the V6II on your camera (without needing a trigger stack).

2. can godox ad360ii-n with radio controler x1n with cactus work in hss mode???
Some Godox controllers work on the V6II, some don't (without taping contacts). Your success may also depend on the firmware version of the V6II. Cactus do not officially support trigger stacking, so you are on your own. Perhaps you can find someone who had success with that (or a similar) configuration.

Depends on whether you are intending to use a Godox triggering system (only some will work, like the FT-16), or the Cactus triggering system. If you want the latter (with remote power and zoom control from the on-camera V6II unit) then you'll need two V6II units. If you want to use the Godox triggering system then you'll only need one V6II unit (as an "HSS-enabler").

11-04-2017, 05:15 PM   #35

Hello,
I know that this issue has been discussed and I do not want to repeat just that I honestly did not come to a conclusion how can I use my Pentax-K1 with one with Godox AD 600 to get HSS. Pls help me
01-01-2018, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by Gabriel Nedelcu Quote
Hello,
I know that this issue has been discussed and I do not want to repeat just that I honestly did not come to a conclusion how can I use my Pentax-K1 with one with Godox AD 600 to get HSS. Pls help me
Hi Gabriel
you need 2 V6II (switch to TX). one mounted on top of the K1. Setting: System=pentax, Flash= Manual
The other V6II (switch to RX) cable connected to the Ad600. Setting, manual flash
Get a Canon Xpro (because it has the HSS activate button) and control the AD600 power output.
GET THE Canon version as the nikon will not trigger when you are doing studio without HSS.

Link to my recent HSS endeavor: https://www.facebook.com/choong.david/media_set?set=a.10215102041174124.1073...4218864&type=3
enjoy and gud ruck (asian accent). Message in FB if you have problems or questions.
02-23-2018, 05:49 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi.

My original testing was with a K3. Now tested with a K1.

I just thought I would add that I have now tested with:
1 Pentax K1;
1 Cactus V6 II;
1 Godox Ft-16 trigger ;and
1 Godox Ving 850 Mk I flash.

Note: Tested with K1.

This is with Cactus firmware 1.1.013 multi-brand firmware NOT X-TTL.

As per fwbigd here are the steps in a bit more detail:
1. Mount Cactus trigger in camera hotshoe
2. Mount Godox Ft-16 trigger on the Cactus trigger
3. Set sync mode to Normal HSS (on Cactus V6 II trigger)
4. Set Camera System: Pentax (on Cactus V6 II trigger)
5. Set Flash System: Manual Flash (on Cactus V6 II trigger). Note: This is different from when I used the K3 and firmware 1.1.006
6. Set HSS mode on the Godox Ving 850 (long press the 3rd button under the LCD)

Please be aware that Step 5 is different from when I tested on K3. Now set Flash System = Manual Flash.

Good luck and enjoy having HSS with superfast recharge times and wireless manual control (godox FT-16 trigger) of the flashes.

Cheers,
Howie Be

Last edited by howieb101; 02-24-2018 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Corrected error in steps. Add bold type.
02-24-2018, 01:04 PM   #38

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
Hi.

My original testing was with a K3. Now tested with a K1.

Cheers,
Howie Be
Thanks, Howie Be, I had also used this set up successfully with my K3 but no luck with my K-1--well, intermittently it seemed to work--but the firmware and the one setting change was all we needed! No need for additional cactus transmitters or any other purchases for once.
02-26-2018, 05:58 AM   #39

In a few months time we can say "Screw godox" and "All HAIL Cactus". Lol
If you have not known, Cactus just released info about a 250W strobe capable of HSS and Hopefully Pttl....
02-26-2018, 12:55 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I wouldn't say screw Godox myself as the lithium-ion batteries and fast recycling are actually huge plus points for Godox.

Standard flashes and having to keep charging 4 AA batteries, especially if using multiple flashes is a definite negative.

I like shooting in manual exposure so losing PTTL is not critical but losing the pre-flash lag of PTTL is great as it speeds up shooting.

Nothing wrong with either Godox or Cactus. Use what works for you.
02-26-2018, 04:04 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Well, I wouldn't say screw Godox myself as the lithium-ion batteries and fast recycling are actually huge plus points for Godox.
The RF60X recycles in 1.9s. That's a) pretty fast in absolute terms and b) not much slower than the 1.5s of a Godox V850. I wouldn't say that there is a huge difference in recycling speeds.

I'm torn on the question of battery type. On the one hand, Li-Ion batteries are very convenient and provide a lot of shots without involving a battery pack. On the other hand, one gets yet another charger to deal with and proprietary Li-Ion batteries are neither cheap to replace nor as readily available as AA batteries.

If one of the internal Li-Ion battery cells fails (it happened a lot when Godox started to use this type, now the issues seem under control) then the whole battery becomes useless. If one AA battery fails (happens much less often due to the lack of balancing needs) then one just replaces that single battery.

A compromise between the two approaches would be AA cartridges that support quick swapping without relying on proprietary batteries. Charging could be done with standard AA chargers but would unfortunately require handling of the single AA batteries.

BTW, the Cactus RQ250 will use a Li-Ion battery.

I like shooting in manual exposure so losing PTTL is not critical but losing the pre-flash lag of PTTL is great as it speeds up shooting.
Same here.

The RF60X already avoids a pre-flash when it is not necessary, so I'm hoping the RQ250 will do the same. By choosing "Manual" for the flash system setting, one can make the V6II forgo the pre-flash delay. This also means forgoing HSS, however, which is regrettable since HSS can be really handy at times. I think therefore the V6II provides the best of both worlds as one can switch it to using "Pentax" as the flash system, if HSS is required.

Nothing wrong with either Godox or Cactus. Use what works for you.
I agree.

The only problems with Godox I see are
  • they don't offer Pentax-dedicated triggers. That makes using HSS cumbersome and P-TTL impossible. Using HSS requires a V6II translator unit but even that only works in combination with some Godox triggers.
  • Trigger ergonomics are not nearly as good as with Cactus. Only the Xpro seems to be decent.
  • If a Godox device breaks one is apparently on one's own unless one has a dealer to turn to and the warranty period isn't over yet. From what I hear, Godox is typically very bad regarding communication with customers and doesn't offer a repair service.

On the plus side, Godox offers a full range of lighting options. Cactus have just begun to extend beyond speedlights and still won't have the equivalent of an AD600 even after the RQ250's release.

Personally, I'm happier with the Cactus trade offs, in particular as a Pentax user.
02-26-2018, 06:43 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

Personally, I'm happier with the Cactus trade offs, in particular as a Pentax user.
Well, I am currently happy with my trade off using my Godox and Cactus combination.

If one of the internal Li-Ion battery cells fails (it happened a lot when Godox started to use this type, now the issues seem under control) then the whole battery becomes useless. If one AA battery fails (happens much less often due to the lack of balancing needs) then one just replaces that single battery.
Once the RQ250 is out in the wild are you suddenly going to say that actually lithium-ion batteries are good or are you going to say that because they are proprietary they are bad.

Are you going to state this same thing when the RQ250 is released?

You should really declare that you are a beta tester for Cactus if you continually argue for Cactus in every single post.

I am an independent user and have bought Cactus V6, V6 II and Godox Ving 850 and triggers. I am not paid to support or have a vested interest in supporting any particular brand.

There are countless online reviews saying how good the Godox products are so while some people are doubtful many others are very happy. I am a happy user so you are getting my viewpoint.

If a Godox device breaks one is apparently on one's own unless one has a dealer to turn to and the warranty period isn't over yet.
As to support, please note that Godox are rebranded as Flashpoint and Neewer in North America and stocked by large retailers like Adorama. If the buyer is really worried about support buy the Flashpoint brand and get a warranty by from a trusted retailer like Adorama. It should be comforting to know a retailer like Adorama stocks their product. If Adorama thought it was a dodgy product I doubt they'd be stocking them.

Remember that's lots of people are using the V6 to trigger their legacy flashes. I have plenty of legacy flashes and what I said about charging AA's is that it is a pain. If you couple having two AA's to power the Cactus V6 (per legacy flash) plus AA's for x number of flashes it starts to mount up how many AA's you have to monitor and charge in a multi-light setup. For a three light setup, I'd rather be charging a few lithium-ion batteries plus four AA's (for one Cactus trigger and one Godox triger) than say 18 AA's (12 plus 8) comprising of 12 AA's (for three legacy flashes, 4 AA's per flash) plus eight AA's for four Cactus triggers (2 AA's for one trigger on camera and 6 AA's for three triggers the three flashes).

You're happy with your trade-offs and I'm happy with mine.
02-26-2018, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

Once the RQ250 is out in the wild are you suddenly going to say that actually lithium-ion batteries are good or are you going to say that because they are proprietary they are bad.
I already pointed out in my last post that the RQ250 features a Li-Ion battery. Why would my opinion on that change just because it is going to be "out in the wild"?

As I stated before, I'm torn as to which battery type I'd go for if I had to make a choice. There are pros and cons for each type and my personal analysis and weighting has been the same for a long time now and that won't change with the release of a new product.

I think it is fair, though, to observe that the more powerful a device becomes, the less the AA option makes sense. For devices like the AD200 or RQ250, we'd be talking at least 12 AA batteries to obtain reasonable stamina. Even with some battery cartridge approach that would get unwieldy, in particular if one considers multiple of such devices.

To equal the actual stamina of the AD200/RQ250, my estimate is that around 16 AA batteries would be required. That seems to defeat any advantage the AA approach may have when only four AAs still suffice. If one goes to even higher-powered devices like the AD600 then AA batteries are completely out of the question.

You should really declare that you are a beta tester for Cactus if you continually argue for Cactus in every single post.
First, I don't argue for Cactus in every single post. On the contrary, as I don't want to come across as biased/paid, I often refrain from mentioning the V6II, even if it were appropriate.

I concede that I believe the V6II does many things very well and that, when appropriate, I will point this out to people. Isn't it natural to try to make the point for something you are convinced about? Have you never sung the praise of Pentax cameras to someone else? I surely did. Both Pentax and Cactus are small and can do with some support by their users. If everyone remains quiet about how much they like their Pentax and Cactus gear, maybe these brands won't be around for too much longer?

Second, my history of being a beta tester for Cactus does not cloud my judgement. Have you seen me jumping up and down about the X-TTL firmware release? While I think it is remarkable that users get P-TTL capabilities as a free firmware upgrade, personally P-TTL is not important to me.

I am an independent user and have bought Cactus V6, V6 II and Godox Ving 850 and triggers. I am not paid to support or have a vested interest in supporting any particular brand.
I'm an independent user as well. I never got paid by Cactus. I don't "support any particular brand" in the professional manner that you seem to be insinuating. I simply would like to see Pentax, Sigma, Cactus, etc. continue to survive, so that I don't have to buy inferior stuff by other companies if my favourite brands fold.

There are countless online reviews saying how good the Godox products are so while some people are doubtful many others are very happy. I am a happy user so you are getting my viewpoint.
I don't know why you seem to feel that I somehow attacked your viewpoint. That wasn't my intention at all. I was just pointing out that the days when AA-powered speedlights had 6-7s recycle times are over and that the recycle speed advantage of Li-Ion batteries hence isn't as huge as it used to be.

Also, I never said that Godox products aren't good. Although one has to wonder about some strange design decisions (like placing the dial on a trigger on the wrong side or making it impossible to turn a fastening handle 360 degrees) and I really dislike their approach to sustainability, overall Godox products are very attractive.

BTW, I realise that Adorama stocks rebranded Godox products but my point still holds: You only get support throughout the warranty period. Having nowhere to go with a defective product after one year is not a sustainable approach, in my view. It may work out financially to simply write off a device, but we only have one planet so a company that talks to you and repairs devices is preferable, in my view.

Overall, it seems that you got a bit defensive and I'm not sure why. I don't see the need to make any of these exchanges personal. I was simply trying to add to the picture you were providing.

Last edited by Class A; 02-26-2018 at 08:52 PM.
02-27-2018, 02:11 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I started this thread to be instructional on how to achieve hss with said equipment. I also provided updated instructions for anyone who had acquired a K1 as my original testing was with a K3.

For anyone actually interested in the step by step instructions, please refer to my posts numbered #1 and #37.

If anyone wants to compare setup x vs setup y and the plusses and minuses I suggest they start their own thread. This threads intent when I started it was "instructional".

My assistance has already helped out OhioAngie so post #37 has already been helpful to a K1 user.

Howie Be

Last edited by howieb101; 02-27-2018 at 04:54 AM.
07-20-2018, 07:49 AM   #45

Hi.

First, thanks to forum member fwbigd who posted using a very similar setup (HSS With Pentax K-1+Cactus V6ii and Godox 360 - PentaxForums.com).

I just wanted to confirm to other forum members that it definitely works with the Godox Ving 850.

As per fwbigd here are the steps in a bit more detail:
1. Mount Cactus trigger in camera hotshoe
2. Mount Godox Ft-16 trigger on the Cactus trigger
3. Set sync mode to Normal HSS (on Cactus V6 II trigger)
4. Set Camera System: Pentax (on Cactus V6 II trigger)
5. Set Flash System: Nikon (on Cactus V6 II trigger)
6. Set HSS mode on the Godox Ving 850 (long press the 3rd button under the LCD)

The steps in images to help anyone else who may try this are at the bottom of the post.

Good luck and enjoy having HSS with superfast recharge times and wireless manual control (godox FT-16 trigger) of the flashes.

Cheers,
Howie Be
——-

This set-up still makes no sense. If you’re setting “flash” to “Nikon” this, (to me) implies you’re getting TTL as well as HSS. If TTL is achieved with the Nikon flash setting, this would logically eliminate the need for the Godox transmitter atop the Cactis transmitter, right?! Obviously this isn’t the case since the Cactus transmitter isn’t communicating with the Godox flash. So, shouldn’t the “flash” setting be set to “manual” instead? I just ordered the Cactus transmitter so I’ll be putting this to the test when it arrives.