Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-22-2016, 03:13 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Do these different firmware versions actually add to, or change the actual functionality of the trigger devices?
There are 4 versions of the Acon firmware listed and downloadable:

- firmware v.3.6, which is the default or 'stock' firmware that is just for Pentax and supports Pentax flashes and P-TTL, 1/8000 HSS etc;

- firmware v.3.9 Beta, which adds some flash group support, a new 'HSS power sync' feature, and some support for Nikon I-TTL flashes and triggers;

- firmware v.5.1.6 Beta, which now lets you select up to 6 radio frequency channels, 3 flash groups with power level adjust support, a new 'Tx stack mode' for shooting with multiple triggers, plus more comprehensive dual Nikon and Pentax TTL flash support, allowing multi-brand HSS - even perhaps Canon. (But it should be noted that some of the earliest R930 units shipped may not have the right hardware to allow the Nikon & Canon support offered by the firmware 5.1.6 beta);

- firmware v.5.1.6 bug fix, a bug fix for some issues with the receiver under the v.5.16 beta;

- firmware r930n_for_nikon_v1_Beta, which (as I understand it) is meant to turn your stock Pentax R930 into a Nikon I-TTL R930, if your R930 has the latest hardware.

There are lots of features there already, and planned for the future. I do wish they would improve the controls and UI though.

Last edited by rawr; 11-22-2016 at 03:21 AM.
11-22-2016, 04:33 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I have just received an unsolicited very short message from Acon-Photo, obviouslly written by someone who is not a native English speaker (message directly from China?). The message indicated that they noticed my problem on the internet (are they following PF?). In any case they sent a link for a download, which I will run through my computer again after deleting the several downloads> Not sure when I will get to experiment, as there are pre-Thanksgiving preparations on schedule with multi-day visitors expected to arrive today.

And I am only interested in the stock firmware, and I still do not understand why it was not pre-installed.
11-22-2016, 04:43 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I still do not understand why it was not pre-installed.
I think it may depend on the manufacture date of your triggers.

I suspect my triggers, for example, which have a 'PL' prefix to their serial number, were shipped with a firmware version earlier than the current stock firmware v3.6.
11-22-2016, 05:03 AM   #19
Banned

Will see if I can find that, but my "devices and drives" window does not recognize anything attached to the USB port when the receiver is connected and turned on.
I think you don't need to care that. as long as you have the driver installed. after plugging in the USB adapter. there is a COM should appear in your device list. not under USB devices tab, but under COM tab.

then you don't need to plug or unplug it again and gain. for that your COM is ready. you only care the update_utility.exe and and the receiver unit ( you can turn it close or reopen them).

You should have the cable fit well in at both side.

You should plug in the Flash port, not camera port of the receiver.

The most tricky part is that you should wait a little whie before clicking update button. good luck.

Last edited by andy888; 11-22-2016 at 05:17 AM.
11-22-2016, 06:23 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK. I had a little time, so I moved the file recently sent to me by Acon-Photo from downloads to desktop. When I double click the icon, I get a HELP.rar file window with a choice of "open" or "save." Clicking on "open" my computer screen blips for the briefest instant, then nothing, the desktop has not changed, no new window has opened, the original window I clicked on to "open" is still there with no change. If I click on "save" I instantly get a second copy of the same file in the same window directly below the one that originally offered options to "open" or "save," and it has identical buttons to "open" or "save" which when clicked do the same thing: clicking on "open" causes a brief screen blip and nothing else, the desktop and window do not change. Clicking on "save" adds yet another identical copy of the same "HELP.rar" program directly below the second. I collected five before I quit.

AND, V-A-V the comment from andy888. Please note that the DRIVER DOES NOT INSTALL UNLESS THE RECEIVER IS PLUGGED INTO A USB PORT AND TURNED ON (second green light), which is contrary to the procedure for updating the firmware.
11-22-2016, 06:55 AM   #21
Banned

OK. I had a little time, so I moved the file recently sent to me by Acon-Photo from downloads to desktop. When I double click the icon, I get a HELP.rar file window with a choice of "open" or "save." Clicking on "open" my computer screen blips for the briefest instant, then nothing, the desktop has not changed, no new window has opened, the original window I clicked on to "open" is still there with no change. If I click on "save" I instantly get a second copy of the same file in the same window directly below the one that originally offered options to "open" or "save," and it has identical buttons to "open" or "save" which when clicked do the same thing: clicking on "open" causes a brief screen blip and nothing else, the desktop and window do not change. Clicking on "save" adds yet another identical copy of the same "HELP.rar" program directly below the second. I collected five before I quit.

AND, V-A-V the comment from andy888. Please note that the DRIVER DOES NOT INSTALL UNLESS THE RECEIVER IS PLUGGED INTO A USB PORT AND TURNED ON (second green light), which is contrary to the procedure for updating the firmware.

You should install the driver before moving on. that can be an OS problem.what is the windows version do you use? 64bit?
11-22-2016, 07:04 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
What driver? Nothing that I download form Acon-Photo will install. I have tried on both my laptop and my desktop. I re-downloaded both the instructions and the firmware update onto my laptop less than an hour ago. The Instructions open, as they always have. but the firmware update most recently downloaded DOES NOT OPEN IN ANY WAY. No option to install a driver is offered. no "exe" app appears. NOTHING APPEARS ON THE SCREEN EXCEPT A WINDOW THAT OFFERS "OPEN" OR "SAVE". Clicking on "open" DOES NOTHING. Clicking on "save" gives me a duplicate copy that behaves in exactly the same way = "open" does nothing, "save" gives yet another duplicate that behaves the same way.

I cannot install a driver, because I am never offered an option to install a driver.

I will eventually go back to the files downloaded to the desktop. At least those offer an "exe" program that will not work.

11-22-2016, 07:12 AM   #23
Banned

What driver? Nothing that I download form Acon-Photo will install. I have tried on both my laptop and my desktop. I re-downloaded both the instructions and the firmware update onto my laptop less than an hour ago. The Instructions open, as they always have. but the firmware update most recently downloaded DOES NOT OPEN IN ANY WAY. No option to install a driver is offered. NOTHING APPEARS ON THE SCREEN EXCEPT A WINDOW THAT OFFERS "OPEN" OR "SAVE". Clicking on "open" DOES NOTHING. Clicking on "save" gives me a duplicate copy that behaves in exactly the same way.

I cannot install a driver, because I am never offered an option to install a driver.
The driver.exe is the name of driver file.

Did you click this?
11-22-2016, 07:19 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by andy888 Quote
The driver.exe is the name of driver file.

Did you click this?
For the most recent download, a program or line or anything labeled "driver.exe" does not appear. No matter what I click or attempt to open, those words never appear. In my previous download they did appear, and as I explained above, when I click on "driver.exe" I first get asked if I want to allow the changes to be made to my computer. Click "yes" and get a window that offers "INSTALL" "UNINSTALL" and "HELP." Click on "INSTALL" and instantly a new window opens that says the installation failed.
11-22-2016, 07:34 AM   #25
Banned

For the most recent download, a program or line or anything labeled "driver.exe" does not appear. No matter what I click or attempt to open, those words never appear. In my previous download they did appear, and as I explained above, when I click on "driver.exe" I first get asked if I want to allow the changes to be made to my computer. Click "yes" and get a window that offers "INSTALL" "UNINSTALL" and "HELP." Click on "INSTALL" and instantly a new window opens that says the installation failed.
Well. You are stopped here.
11-22-2016, 07:53 AM   #26
Veteran Member

rawr, thanks for your detailed listing of the updates available from the various firmware versions. This is a very useful reference to have it nicely described and laid out here.

Clackers, I am only summarising an impression and view built up by contributors here on this forum .....I do not wish to cast a bad light unfairly, but we have not had any balancing reports of successful and reliable multi-flash automatic P-TTL exposures, nor reliable multi-group manual control, from users of these triggers. They are a product that I would gladly be interested in myself and would gladly promote to other Pentax photographers if we had those balancing reports and could find confidence in the instructions and guidance for reliable operation..

So as I've said before it seems difficult to form a positive view other than for single flash radio P-TTL use, which I understand it is your own particular way of using them. ..... Indeed is your own positive reports on this experience that speaks loudest here, but only in that particular usage category, which it seems is the original default firmware configuration.
11-22-2016, 08:05 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Went back to the big desktop and tried again. This time I managed to get the install program open, I got the exe program installed, I selected the appropriate software and the appropriate COM port, With receiver connected to a USB port via the "flash" port I held down the "CH" button and turned the unit on, causing LED #2 to glow green. According to the instructions, I now wait until a connection is made then click install firmware. BUT, no connection is made and eventually I get a "timed out" message and the installation program closes. Tried it again with a different USB port, and consequently a different COM port, same result. When the receiver is activated according to instructions, it fails to make a connection, the timed out window appears, and the installation firmware closes. BUT, I'm getting closer.
11-22-2016, 08:19 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Just to clarify WPRESTO, as delivered are you saying that the units had no installed firmware? So they are not functional on a flash or camera at all until you achieve an initial firmware installation?
11-22-2016, 08:19 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Another experiment. Following rawr's suggested steps that are slightly different from the "official" sequence, I started up the receiver BEFORE selecting the COM port. Eventually connection was made, clicked install firmware, and got a message that it was successful.
BUT: when I turned off the receiver, unplugged it, removed the USB connecting wire, then turned it on, it did not function properly. LEDs 1 & 3 and the LED at the front of the unit blinked quickly a few times, then all LEDs went out. Pressing and holding the "CH" unit which should turn on some LEDs to change settings has no effect. None of the LEDs will illuminate after the first blinking for a fraction of a second. SO, I guess I go through the procedure again with the firmware. At least I actually got something installed in the receiver, whatever it is.

---------- Post added 11-22-16 at 10:34 AM ----------

So I have gone through the firmware install procedure three times. Each time I get a window that says the firmware installation has been successful. But, when the receiver is separated from the computer and power is turned on, LEDS 1 & 3 and the LED at the end of the unit flicker briefly, then nothing. All LEDs off, short or long press on "CH" button does nothing.
11-22-2016, 09:02 AM   #30
Banned

Another experiment. Following rawr's suggested steps that are slightly different from the "official" sequence, I started up the receiver BEFORE selecting the COM port. Eventually connection was made, clicked install firmware, and got a message that it was successful.
BUT: when I turned off the receiver, unplugged it, removed the USB connecting wire, then turned it on, it did not function properly. LEDs 1 & 3 and the LED at the front of the unit blinked quickly a few times, then all LEDs went out. Pressing and holding the "CH" unit which should turn on some LEDs to change settings has no effect. None of the LEDs will illuminate after the first blinking for a fraction of a second. SO, I guess I go through the procedure again with the firmware. At least I actually got something installed in the receiver, whatever it is.

---------- Post added 11-22-16 at 10:34 AM ----------

So I have gone through the firmware install procedure three times. Each time I get a window that says the firmware installation has been successful. But, when the receiver is separated from the computer and power is turned on, LEDS 1 & 3 and the LED at the end of the unit flicker briefly, then nothing. All LEDs off, short or long press on "CH" button does nothing.
that is the way firmwar 3.6 receiver is. you should make the sender the same firmware 3.6, or use the receiver 516 fix firmware .