Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2016, 06:40 PM   #61
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Since our Thanksgiving guests have departed I was able to run a few quick & simple tests with the Acon-Photo wireless TTL flash triggers, with the 516 firmware intalled.

Set-up = a small figurine on slightly darker than mid-grey surface; tripod-mounted camera to keep distance uniform at about three feet; Acon receiver and flash on a light stand at about four feet. Camera set to ISO 100 and "X." Three test exposures taken at f4, f8 and f16.

Results: My K1 got correct exposure with an AF or MF lens with the following flash units on the receiver: Pentax 360 II; Metz 52 AF1; 44AF1; 26 AF2; and 24AF1
My K3 got correct exposure with all the same flash units BUT ONLY WITH AN AF LENS. With an MF lens all the flash units overexposed at all stops except sometimes f16 (the smallest/weakest strobes). HOWEVER, setting the in-camera flash compensation to -1.7 EV correct this problem perfectly (including at f16 with the smallest/weakest strobes).
My K5 did not get correct exposure with any lens/flash combination, and I could not adjust the in-camera flash compensation to get correct exposure. All the tests I ran with the K5 (not a great many) were at least 3EV underexposed. I conclude that the 516 firmware will not work with a K5.

For both the K3 and K5, therefore, it is probably better to install the 360 firmware, but the 516 version will work on a K3 if you remember to set the flash compensation for any MF lens.

In case you are curious about the MF and AF lens exposure problem' I initially tested the K1 with a 50mm f1.7 AF Pentax. When I switched to the K3, it already had a 50mm f2.8 SMCA macro attached, so initially I tested with that lens and discovered the exposure problem. When I switched to the 50mm f1.7 AF on the K3, flash exposures were correct. I went back to the K1 and tried it with the 50mm MF macro, but it did not have the same exposure problem.

AND ALSO, exposures were generally but not entirely consistent. I may have rushed the recharging of the strobes, but now and then I would get an exposure that was much too dark despite the ready light being illuminated. A little patience, and a second exposure at the same settings would always produce a correct exposure.
If you test at home with wifi interference you may got miss fire by chance. The way to avoid is setting CH to all green..CH 5. and it seems firmware 516 isn't more compliant than 3.6.

11-27-2016, 08:05 PM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by andy888 Quote
If you test at home with wifi interference you may got miss fire by chance. The way to avoid is setting CH to all green..CH 5. and it seems firmware 516 isn't more compliant than 3.6.

FYI: The units were set to all green. Another odd thing: occasionally a strobe would fire spontaneously, always an extremely short flash, probably at or near the minimum output. Might indicate that CH 5 was receiving from our household wireless system (serves the computers).
11-27-2016, 10:18 PM   #63
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
FYI: The units were set to all green. Another odd thing: occasionally a strobe would fire spontaneously, always an extremely short flash, probably at or near the minimum output. Might indicate that CH 5 was receiving from our household wireless system (serves the computers).
Yes, So you might alter the CH to figure out. in my location CH5 dose get rid of any interference. I don't know yours.
11-28-2016, 04:43 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by andy888 Quote
Yes, So you might alter the CH to figure out. in my location CH5 dose get rid of any interference. I don't know yours.
FYI: Interference doesn't concern or bother me too much as I'm not too likely to use the Acon system at home. I got it primarily to use in the field where any form of radio interference is less likely, although not impossible.