Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2016, 01:08 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Acon-Photo wireless TTL system

Acon-Photo (China) offers a wireless TTL two piece system, transmitter and receiver. I thought this could/would be a useful gadget so I ordered one. About four weeks for delivery. Each of the two units has a forest of contacts on the shoes, so basically the same transmitter and receiver serve all makes of cameras & flash units, but differ in the firmware. It is supposed to be possible to install firmware that will allow wireless TTL flash using a Nikon strobe, but a Pentax camera body (!).

I unpacked the unit and read the on-line instructions (no hardcopy instructions of any kind). Alas, the instructions were not written by someone truly fluent in English are a little abstruse at times, but three or four reads gave me the idea. So I followed the instructions and immediately ran into a problem. The receiver refused to set properly, in fact, no settings could be changed no matter what I did, and test firing did nothing = the strobe did not fire no matter what setting was used on the transmitter. An EMAIL brought back a directive to install the correct firmware, available for download from the same website that supplied the instructions*. So I did that, and following a new set of cryptic instructions attempted to install the firmware (first open & install the "exe" program, then use it to install the actual firmware). Two weeks of frustration, several EMAILs, multiple re-downloads and atttempts to install have completely failed to get the receiver working properly. Following the instructions, I cannot get the receiver to appear on the screen, to be recognized by the computer or the exe program, and I cannot get clarification via EMAIL on what is wrong or what to do. The typical instructions from the person who has responded to my queries: "download and follow instructions," EXCEPT the last EMAIL from that person suggested that I bring in someone who, to paraphrase, knows how to use a computer.

So, at the moment, the device is a total zero, money thrown down the drain. Anyone have experience or suggestions?

*Why wasn't the correct firmware pre-installed before the unit was shipped?

11-21-2016, 01:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Have you read the illustrated PDF guide to performing a firmware upgrade on the R930?
11-21-2016, 02:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

That's disappointing, what a pity it's been such a pain! It's been difficult to recommend the Acon P-TTL triggers really, based on the reports and feedback we see here. Certainly the picture for multi-flash P-TTL and manual mode group control is completely confused, well at least to my reading of the various posts here we see. I absolutely have not been tempted to bother trying them, not yet anyway.

However the member Clackers has said they work well for him, although I got the impression he uses a single Pentax flash off -camera with the triggers ....? So hopefully he will see this and make some suggestions. But just to clarify, are you actually trying to use a Nikon iTTL flash with a Pentax camera? We've seen the recent claims from Andy888, who seems to be close to Acon in some way and gets test units, that they now offer cross-brand TTL flash compatibility, but obviously the understanding of how that works and what is needed is proving impossible to translate across the language divide.
11-21-2016, 02:31 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Have you read the illustrated PDF guide to performing a firmware upgrade on the R930?
Yes. Time after time. I plug the receiver into a USB port with the supplied wire, via the "camera" plug on the receiver (have also tried the "flash" plug with exactly the same results to be described), press the "CH" button and turn it on, LED #2 illuminates green, as it should to enable firmware upgrade installation. Then I install the "EXE" program and I get an "installation successful" message (if the receiver is NOT plugged into a USB port and switched on as described, the "EXE" program will not install). At this point, nothing happens. I get no screen inviting installation of the upgraded firmware; if I open the "devices and drives" window of the computer, it does not show anything connected to the USB port (I have tried three different ports). If I click on the firmware file, I get an message from Adobe Reader that it can do nothing with the file and invites me to chose another app either on the computer or in the on-line store. The "EXE" program does not appear anywhere among my computer apps, nor on the desktop except for the original icon I used to install it. Clicking on the latter does not connect me to the receiver nor does it invite me to install the firmware. I've been round and round that situation for almost two weeks, time after time the same thing.

11-21-2016, 03:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you gone to Device Manager and found the Com port?
11-21-2016, 03:51 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Acon-Photo (China) offers a wireless TTL two piece system, transmitter and receiver. I thought this could/would be a useful gadget so I ordered one. About four weeks for delivery. Each of the two units has a forest of contacts on the shoes, so basically the same transmitter and receiver serve all makes of cameras & flash units, but differ in the firmware. It is supposed to be possible to install firmware that will allow wireless TTL flash using a Nikon strobe, but a Pentax camera body (!).

I reckon the Acon does a fantastic job, Wpresto. Here I am handholding the flash with my left hand, taking the pic with my right.

I find it super reliable, and will not go back to using a cable for high shutter speeds.

If you go to the Medium Format forum, 645Z owners have been able to use it rather than go with an expensive Priolite 'solution' that seems to be hypersync rather than genuine HSS from one gentleman's problems - banding.

As for upgrading the firmware to get fancier features, like you, there's two hours I spent one night I'll never get back.

I couldn't get Step Six to work.

Perhaps an older computer would have worked, since Win 10 is not actually on the supported list in the documentation.
11-21-2016, 04:04 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Have you gone to Device Manager and found the Com port?
Will see if I can find that, but my "devices and drives" window does not recognize anything attached to the USB port when the receiver is connected and turned on.

11-21-2016, 07:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Even though they were working fine and I didn't need to, using Win10 I just updated my Acon Tx and Rx units to the v3.9 firmware. (I am not really interested in v5.16 at this stage).

There are two important things to note about the firmware update:

(1) the USB dongle Acon supplies (along with a 2.5mm <> 2.5mm male plug cable) is a USB to Serial convertor, so you first need to install the supplied USB to Serial device driver to make it work on your PC. Sometimes Windows can be fussy about adding these drivers, but it usually works if you have admin privileges;

(2) you need to get the sequence of operation strictly right when connecting an Acon to the USB dongle on your PC to do the firmware update:
- the Acon has to be connected but turned off when the firmware app first starts,
- using the updater app, select the firmware file you want to apply to your rx or tx unit,
- verify the specific COM port number you will be using;
- power on the Acon while also pressing the CH button next to the ON/OFF switch
- **only then** press the 'Open port' button to open the COM port,
- then click the 'Update' button.

Anyway, here's a longer version of a 'how-to', using the files in the v3.6 update as an example:

Unzip the "fw_3.6.rar" file somewhere on your PC. After unzipping, you should see perhaps a folder called "fw_3.6".

Within the "fw_3.6" folder you should see 5 files:

- DRIVER.EXE
- How to use v3.0.pdf
- r930_fw_3.6_receiver.aue
- r930_fw_3.6_transmitter.aue
- r930_fw_update v3.0.exe

The first step involves installing a USB to Serial device driver for the USB dongle that Acon has supplied.

Run DRIVER.EXE (as administrator). After that is executed, it unpacks some files and then 'driversetup (x64)' runs, and a dialog box prompts you to select an INF file to install. There is only one INF file to use, so just hit 'INSTALL'.

Once the INF file is installed, then you get a little information popup that says: 'The drive is successfully Pre-installed in advance'. Hit OK.

If all goes well, you now have a USB to Serial port installed on your PC.

To check that the new USB to SERIAL driver has been installed, plug in the Acon USB dongle into a USB port on your PC, and **ensure that one of the 2.5mm male plugs is plugged into the dongle** [no need for the Acon trigger to be connected yet].

After a second, Windows might make some noise that shows that it has detected the device or something. Just let it do it's stuff.

Then to see if Windows has detected the new device, in Windows 10 go to Settings > Devices > Connected Devices and under 'Other Devices' you should see "USB-SERIAL CH340 (COM3)" or similar.

Or in older Windows, go to the Control Panel, and open 'Devices and Printers', and you should see an icon for "USB-SERIAL CH340 (COM3)".

Or in any version of Windows (W10, Win7, even older) just open the Device Manager, and look under 'Ports', and you should also see "USB-SERIAL CH340 (COM3)".

If you do indeed see that, the driver install worked. Note down the COM port number being used on your PC (on my PC it was COM 3).

Now the second step is to install the specific firmware update you want installed.

Run the firmware install application "r930_fw_update v3.0.exe" from the folder where you unzipped the "fw_3.6.rar" to.

Confirm that the 'COM Port' number shown on the firmware update utility screen matches the COM port number your PC is using for the USB to Serial driver. (Mine was COM 3).

Now make sure the Acon trigger you want to update is turned off, then plug one end of the cable hanging out of the USB dongle into the Acon. For the receiver, plug the cable into the 'Flash' plug hole; for the transmitter, plug the cable into the 'ECP' plug hole.

Once done, from the app, press the 'Firmware File' button to select the firmware file you want to install into your Acon hardware. "r930_fw_3.6_receiver.aue" is the file for the Acon receiver, "r930_fw_3.6_transmitter.aue" is for updating the Acon transmitter. Select the file you want, hit 'Open', and you should see the file path for the file appear in the box under the red 'acon'.

Now power up the Acon while pressing the "CH' key next to the 'OFF ON' switch. LED 2 should light up green.

Then in the firmware update app, click the 'Open Port' button. If the connection is alive, in a second or two you should see the serial number of your Acon appear in the S/N box.

When your serial number appears, click the 'Update' button. After a few seconds, your firmware update should be done.

You can then turn off your Acon and unplug it from the USB dongle, and perhaps move on to updating another Acon, since it makes sense for all your Acons (receivers and transmitters) to be running the same firmware.

Last edited by rawr; 11-21-2016 at 07:15 PM.
11-21-2016, 08:01 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
At the first step of your longer step-by-step list (Run DRIVER.EXE) - nothing happens. After opening driver.EXE, I get a window asking if I want the allow the changes to my computer, click "yes" and get a new window with options for INSTALL, UNINSTALL (not available), and HELP. Click on "INSTALL" and instantly get a window that says "driver install failure." IF I attach the receiver, press "CH" and turn it on, THEN when I open and click INSTALL the driver DOES install successfully, but nothing else happens. I never get a window that calls for selection of a firmware file. If you will, I never get step 1 accomplished. I have never obtained the message: "The drive is successfully Pre-installed in advance."

AND BTW: Many, many thanks for typing those lengthy and detailed instructions, but alas, I am still stuck at step #1.

Even though they were working fine and I didn't need to, using Win10 I just updated my Acon Tx and Rx units to the v3.9 firmware. (I am not really interested in v5.16 at this stage).

(1) the USB dongle Acon supplies (along with a 2.5mm <> 2.5mm male plug cable) is a USB to Serial convertor, so you first need to install the supplied USB to Serial device driver to make it work on your PC. Sometimes Windows can be fussy about adding these drivers, but it usually works if you have admin privileges;

(2) you need to get the sequence of operation strictly right when connecting an Acon to the USB dongle on your PC to do the firmware update:
- the Acon has to be connected but turned off when the firmware app first starts,
- using the updater app, select the firmware file you want to apply to your rx or tx unit,

Anyway, here's a longer version of a 'how-to', using the files in the v3.6 update as an example:

Unzip the "fw_3.6.rar" file somewhere on your PC. After unzipping, you should see perhaps a folder called "fw_3.6".

- DRIVER.EXE
- How to use v3.0.pdf

The first step involves installing a USB to Serial device driver for the USB dongle that Acon has supplied.

Run DRIVER.EXE (as administrator). After that is executed, it unpacks some files and then 'driversetup (x64)' runs, and a dialog box prompts you to select an INF file to install. There is only one INF file to use, so just hit 'INSTALL'.

Once the INF file is installed, then you get a little information popup that says: 'The drive is successfully Pre-installed in advance'. Hit OK.

To check that the new USB to SERIAL driver has been installed, plug in the Acon USB dongle into a USB port on your PC, and **ensure that one of the 2.5mm male plugs is plugged into the dongle** [no need for the Acon trigger to be connected yet].

After a second, Windows might make some noise that shows that it has detected the device or something. Just let it do it's stuff.

Then to see if Windows has detected the new device, in Windows 10 go to Settings > Devices > Connected Devices and under 'Other Devices' you should see "USB-SERIAL CH340 (COM3)" or similar.

Or in older Windows, go to the Control Panel, and open 'Devices and Printers', and you should see an icon for "USB-SERIAL CH340 (COM3)".

Or in any version of Windows (W10, Win7, even older) just open the Device Manager, and look under 'Ports', and you should also see "USB-SERIAL CH340 (COM3)".

If you do indeed see that, the driver install worked. Note down the COM port number being used on your PC (on my PC it was COM 3).

Now the second step is to install the specific firmware update you want installed.

Run the firmware install application "r930_fw_update v3.0.exe" from the folder where you unzipped the "fw_3.6.rar" to.

Confirm that the 'COM Port' number shown on the firmware update utility screen matches the COM port number your PC is using for the USB to Serial driver. (Mine was COM 3).

Now make sure the Acon trigger you want to update is turned off, then plug one end of the cable hanging out of the USB dongle into the Acon. For the receiver, plug the cable into the 'Flash' plug hole; for the transmitter, plug the cable into the 'ECP' plug hole.

Once done, from the app, press the 'Firmware File' button to select the firmware file you want to install into your Acon hardware. "r930_fw_3.6_receiver.aue" is the file for the Acon receiver, "r930_fw_3.6_transmitter.aue" is for updating the Acon transmitter. Select the file you want, hit 'Open', and you should see the file path for the file appear in the box under the red 'acon'.

Now power up the Acon while pressing the "CH' key next to the 'OFF ON' switch. LED 2 should light up green.

Then in the firmware update app, click the 'Open Port' button. If the connection is alive, in a second or two you should see the serial number of your Acon appear in the S/N box.

When your serial number appears, click the 'Update' button. After a few seconds, your firmware update should be done.

You can then turn off your Acon and unplug it from the USB dongle, and perhaps move on to updating another Acon, since it makes sense for all your Acons (receivers and transmitters) to be running the same firmware.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 11-21-2016 at 08:06 PM.
11-21-2016, 09:06 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am sorry to hear your set appears to be DOA. I will admit the instructions and ways of setting different modes and settings can be confusing. My set has been worth it because I can use my 3 AF360's in a 3 light cluster in HSS. I trigger one in HSS set to on (just like it is on the camera hot shoe) with the other 2 set to wireless HSS. It really gives me much more punch with HSS and since the units are so close to one another the optical triggering is never an issue even at high noon.
11-21-2016, 09:17 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Even though they were working fine and I didn't need to, using Win10 I just updated my Acon Tx and Rx units to the v3.9 firmware. (I am not really interested in v5.16 at this stage) ...

Thanks for your list, Rawr, you've inspired me to have another go at some time.

Looks like, you, me, Beholder3 and Macman are all owners/users, as well as Andy888, who seems suspiciously well connected with the Chinese company!
11-21-2016, 11:27 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

- DRIVER.EXE
- How to use v3.0.pdf

Am I to understand that there is no support for macs?
11-21-2016, 11:38 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I never get a window that calls for selection of a firmware file.
That is a separate program - you need to run the 'r930_fw_update v3.0.exe' file.

It doesn't install anything directly, it just runs, and it's purpose is to:

(a) let you select what firmware file (ie the files with .aue extensions) that you want to install into the hardware;

(b) select what COM port you need to use to talk to the USB to serial adapter (whatever the default is seems to always work fine for me, so I never touch this option);

(c) open and then also test the connection to the Acon hardware over the serial connection (including display the serial number of the connected hardware);

(d) verify that you are applying the right firmware file to the right hardware - ie it checks to see if you aren't making a mistake by trying to install firmware for a receiver unit into a transmitter unit, for example, and it will not allow that;

(e) let's you then Update the firmware, by copying the relevant *. aue extension file into your Acon, and when done it gives you a confirmation message that the file was installed OK, and the application closes down.

You can also upgrade/downgrade firmware without issue, at least between v3.9 beta and v3.6. After installing v3.9 beta a few hours ago I found it was buggy - direct PTTL flash overexposed a LOT, whereas bounce flash was OK, but in v3.6 both direct and bounce were always perfect. So I went back to v3.6.

v3.6 also just works - I just turn on the Acon's, and don't need to press any buttons or make any settings adjustments at all if all I want is PTTL.

---------- Post added 2016-11-22 at 05:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Am I to understand that there is no support for macs?
Not natively. But you might be able to run the Windows installer on a Mac, I guess, and your Mac will also need to be able to talk USB to serial via the supplied USB dongle.

Last edited by rawr; 11-21-2016 at 11:44 PM.
11-22-2016, 01:19 AM   #14
Veteran Member

This has turned into something that looks like it should be on a computer techie geeks website ....and he hasn't even started to use a flash yet

But its been great to see the knowledge and experience of these firmware processes being laid out here. Do these different firmware versions actually add to, or change the actual functionality of the trigger devices? And does anyone know if the idea of proper, reliable TTL exposure with a mixed system (ie Pentax camera plus Nikon flash) is actually feasible?

I liked that idea above about using three HSS flashes near each other ..... one triggered by the Acon radio system and the others nearby by the Wireless Optical system .... that is a great way to get extra power but cover long distances from the camera, without the complexity of trying to get multiple flashes working with this trigger system (which frankly sounds hit and miss).
11-22-2016, 03:00 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
And does anyone know if the idea of proper, reliable TTL exposure with a mixed system (ie Pentax camera plus Nikon flash) is actually feasible?
The 3.9 firmware docco says exactly that situation, if you alter the receiver.

But you would need one of us to successfully update our firmware (maybe Rawr's list gives us what we missed in the Chinglish manual), and own a Nikon flash, to test!

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
, without the complexity of trying to get multiple flashes working with this trigger system (which frankly sounds hit and miss).
Why? What"s your basis?