Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2008, 11:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
P-TTL _AND_ C-TTL flashes?

I am about to buy a flash. Are there any flashes that support both Pentax TTL and Canon TTL? Or any wicked adapter that makes it possible to use the same flash with full TTL on both a Canon 5D and a Pentax K10D?

07-30-2008, 01:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I suspect that both Metz and Promaster flash systems offer adapter modules with some level of compatibility for both.
07-30-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Promaster has a series of flashes that work by changing out a module that costs around $15-25 U.S. I'm don't think Metz currently has a module system for Pentax.

The Promater 5250DX, 5550DX and 5750 Dx will work with Canon and Pentax. The k20d and K200d use the 7161 module but they haven't updated the list yet. http://www.promasterflash.com/servlet/Categories?category=Flash+Units%3ADigital

Those flash modules will also allow the use of the Macrolume macro flash on multiple camera platforms as well.

http://www.promasterflash.com/servlet/Detail?no=35

I researched this thoroughly and exchanged a couple of emails with Promaster. I ended up going with Metz.

Last edited by Blue; 07-30-2008 at 02:08 PM.
07-30-2008, 04:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Promaster has a series of flashes that work by changing out a module that costs around $15-25 U.S. I'm don't think Metz currently has a module system for Pentax.

The Promater 5250DX, 5550DX and 5750 Dx will work with Canon and Pentax. The k20d and K200d use the 7161 module but they haven't updated the list yet. Flash Units:Digital

Those flash modules will also allow the use of the Macrolume macro flash on multiple camera platforms as well.

Promaster MacroLume TTL Digital Macro Flash for Digital Cameras

I researched this thoroughly and exchanged a couple of emails with Promaster. I ended up going with Metz.
not sure where you are finding those modules for that cheap. Most current p-ttl modules are running around $50.
And they only work w/ the current promaster bodies:
The older "plain" TTL modules (AF or not) can be found for nearly free to about $25 retail.
No endorsement, just an example:
Promaster Cameras - Flash at Camcor.com

07-30-2008, 07:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
not sure where you are finding those modules for that cheap. Most current p-ttl modules are running around $50.
And they only work w/ the current promaster bodies:
The older "plain" TTL modules (AF or not) can be found for nearly free to about $25 retail.
No endorsement, just an example:
Promaster Cameras - Flash at Camcor.com
The prices on those have gone up the past month on the modules that work on the k20d and k200d. I've noticed some of the Sigma lenses have jumped about 15 to 20% on Adorama the past month as well, especially on the 105mm macro as an example.

My point is this is the only system I know of that will allow a flash to be used on Canon and Pentax or Nikon and Pentax. $50 is still cheaper than dropping another $150 to $250 for an additional flash.

I ended up with going with the Metz but if I needed to use it on 2 systems I would have gone with Promaster. This is just based on my experience and opinion and have nothing vested with either company.
07-30-2008, 11:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I don't think Metz currently has a module system for Pentax.
Metz has the SCA 3702 M2 adapter that will provide P-TTL with a number of Metz flashes including some potato mashers. There are links to people posting that they bought the SCA adapter in the UK, but I have not found a retailer in the US carrying it. It appears to be available on some German web sites.

The SCA 3702 M2 provides P-TTL support on the Mecablitz 44 MZ-2, Mecablitz 54 MZ-3, Mecablitz 54, Mecablitz MZ-4, Mecablitz 70 MZ-4, Mecablitz 70 MZ-5, Mecablitz 54 MZ-4i, Mecablitz 44 MZ-2 (V2), Mecablitz 45 CL-4 digital, and Mecablitz 76 MZ-5 digital.

Thank you
Russell
07-31-2008, 12:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Right. I figured Metz would be it. Can't find Promaster on any local (Swedish) websites. But the SCA 3702 is available. So I guess I have to lookup what Metz to get.

Thanks all.
07-31-2008, 01:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zewrak Quote
Right. I figured Metz would be it. Can't find Promaster on any local (Swedish) websites. But the SCA 3702 is available. So I guess I have to lookup what Metz to get.

Thanks all.
You want the SCA 3702 M2. If you get sloppy and forget the M2, you will end up with a TTL adapter.

Thank you
Russell

07-31-2008, 02:33 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
Metz has the SCA 3702 M2 adapter that will provide P-TTL with a number of Metz flashes including some potato mashers. There are links to people posting that they bought the SCA adapter in the UK, but I have not found a retailer in the US carrying it. It appears to be available on some German web sites.

The SCA 3702 M2 provides P-TTL support on the Mecablitz 44 MZ-2, Mecablitz 54 MZ-3, Mecablitz 54, Mecablitz MZ-4, Mecablitz 70 MZ-4, Mecablitz 70 MZ-5, Mecablitz 54 MZ-4i, Mecablitz 44 MZ-2 (V2), Mecablitz 45 CL-4 digital, and Mecablitz 76 MZ-5 digital.

Thank you
Russell
Corrections -
The SCA 3702 M2 doesn't provide P-TTL with the earlier 54 MZ-3, 44 MZ-2 and 70 MZ-4, due to slow electronics within the gun.

P-TTL is only supported in the later Metz guns, i.e the ones with the suffix "digital" - Metz 44 MZ-2 digital, 45 CL-4 digital, 54 MZ-4i digital and 76 MZ-5 digital. With earlier models P-TTL is not functional with the exception of the 54 MZ4.

This is from information I received direct from Lutz Goeschel of Metz.

When used with a film camera that has TTL only, the gun reverts to standard TTL, when used with the istD & DS that support TTL as well as P-TTL, it defaults to P-TTL, you cannot force normal TTL.

The adaptors only provide P-TTL, other features such as HSS and Pentax wireless protocal are not supported.

Wireless control is possible using Metz's own wireless protocol with one Metz SCA gun as master and additional slave SCA guns fitted with the SCA 3083 wireless foot.

If you wish to have full P-TTL with wireless and HSS, you will have to use the dedicated guns, Metz 58 AF-1 and 48 AF-1. These guns are dedicated to the specific camera make and are not interchangeable.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Richard Day; 07-31-2008 at 02:38 AM. Reason: added text
07-31-2008, 03:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote
Corrections -
The SCA 3702 M2 doesn't provide P-TTL with the earlier 54 MZ-3, 44 MZ-2 and 70 MZ-4, due to slow electronics within the gun.

P-TTL is only supported in the later Metz guns, i.e the ones with the suffix "digital" - Metz 44 MZ-2 digital, 45 CL-4 digital, 54 MZ-4i digital and 76 MZ-5 digital. With earlier models P-TTL is not functional with the exception of the 54 MZ4.

This is from information I received direct from Lutz Goeschel of Metz.
Thank you for the information. I pulled the model information off of the Metz website for the Pentax K10D. I don't see anywhere where this is explained. It is very good to capture it here.

Thank you
Russell