Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2016, 05:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

HSS and Pentax 645z choice of controller

I am looking to extend flash options with the 645 particularly high speed flash. Initially thought that the Acon units the way to go but am now thinking that the Cactus v6 II probably the better choice based on what I already have. So I am looking for opinion/suggestion from those with more experience than I.

Current flash units:

Godox QT 600 studio flash with FT 16 controller - Not expecting this to work with the Cactus but just mentioned for complete info.

Nikon SB600 and 2 Yongnuo 56? (Nikon) and the 622 controllers. Yes, I am a Nikon fugitive I am also thinking that for a carry round camera I might pick up a Nikon D7200 - before anyone suggests me being hung drawn and quartered for not picking Pentax, it is just that I have several Nikon lenses already without a body after selling the D800e

So it does seem from the little research I have done that it should be either Acon or Cactus.

What would your choice be and for what reasons ?

11-26-2016, 06:07 AM   #2

Hi TonyW.

This may not be what you're looking for but it seems that Bowens has new XMS flash heads supporting high speed flash for Pentax too. I'm not very well researched how it works but if it works then this is very good. Because there is not lot of high speed flash options for Pentax.
11-26-2016, 07:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The Cactus V6ii in conjunction with the Godox X-16 trigger will allow you to obtain HSS on the new K-1 using the method illustrated in the attach link using the Godox AD360 https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/333936-pentax...ml#post3828932 The simpler solution is to use the Cactus V6ii in combination with Cactus RF60 speed light.

Last edited by fwbigd; 11-26-2016 at 08:05 AM.
11-28-2016, 09:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
645user, thanks the Bowens stuff looks good but I was looking at using existing speedlights past the limits imposed of flash sync at 1/125 and I am thinking that the Cactus is appealing due to supporting more than one system.

Darryl, thanks for the info and the link, interesting to see the Godox FT 16 being used this way with the Cactus v6II. I already have the FT -16 to trigger the Godox QT 600 studio flash.

11-28-2016, 10:39 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TonyW Quote
Initially thought that the Acon units the way to go but am now thinking that the Cactus v6 II probably the better choice based on what I already have.
I think so too. Bear in mind that the Acon trigger is meant to support P-TTL (automatic exposure) whereas the Cactus V6II is meant to support manual flash power control (and has the much better interface for the latter).

Godox QT 600 studio flash with FT 16 controller - Not expecting this to work with the Cactus but just mentioned for complete info.
You'd be able to trigger those with V6II units, but the QT 600 does not support HSS. As the QT 600's flash duration is just ~1/500s (T.1) even at full power, it won't give good results even when used in PowerSync (aka Hyper Sync) mode. Hence, this studio flash will probably only be useful for shutter speeds up to the sync-speed.

Nikon SB600 and 2 Yongnuo 56? (Nikon)
The Nikon would be supported by the V6II (remote power control and remote zoom setting control). The Yongnuos are supported if they are 568EXs. If they are any of the manual models, e.g., YN560 then they are not supported (triggering will work but not remote power or remote zoom control).
11-28-2016, 08:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Willing to go for a Godox AD 360?

Any chance you would be willing to get a Godox AD360. I don't know if this will be powerful enough but it will do the HSS that you seem to be after (coupled with one Cactus V6 II). The older full manual ones are cheaper than the new dedicated (Canon and Nikon) versions as well.

Food for thought as the old Godox AD360 V1's tend to be on sale now.

Howie Be

Last edited by howieb101; 11-28-2016 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Additional information
11-29-2016, 09:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Class A, many thanks for your comprehensive reply. I am not worried that the Cactus only supports manual flash power control, tbh I have never really got into auto flash exposure including the Nikon creative lighting system.

As to the Godox QT600 although I had not intended to use the Cactus triggers I will have a play and see what happens. The flash duration at least as far as I can tell is as you say 1/500 at full power but I understand that this drops down to 1/5400 at minimum power - still this may not be useful.

Yes the Yongnuo are 586's so all should be well

I have just ordered a pair of Cactus v6 II's

Howie Be, thank you, by all acounts the Godox AD360 is a very good unit and very well built and would be one to consider in the future - I really do like the bare bulb feature - used to use similar with the old Braun hobby flashguns.

For now I will have to see how I get on with the Cactus and my Yongnuo and Nikons