Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-29-2016, 08:47 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Triggering a cactus trigger by wire

Hey all.

Is there a way to fire a Cactus V6 trigger via a PC cable? I tried to fire one via one my my 4x5 lenses, couldn't figure it out...

11-30-2016, 12:44 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Hey all.

Is there a way to fire a Cactus V6 trigger via a PC cable? I tried to fire one via one my my 4x5 lenses, couldn't figure it out...
I haven't, but after your question I read the manual. You could fire the trigger with another V6, or you might be able to use one of the Camera Shutter release cables they sell on their site.
11-30-2016, 09:14 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Is there a way to fire a Cactus V6 trigger via a PC cable?
A cable with a PC connector at one end and a 3.5mm stereo connector at the other end should do the job.

The V5 came with such a cable included and I trust Cactus still sell them separately. Maybe you can create your own cable?

The V6 will have to be in TX mode.

What exactly did you try when you attempted to trigger the V6 with a lens? Did you use a cable of the sort I suggested?
11-30-2016, 10:32 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
A cable with a PC connector at one end and a 3.5mm stereo connector at the other end should do the job.

The V5 came with such a cable included and I trust Cactus still sell them separately. Maybe you can create your own cable?

The V6 will have to be in TX mode.

What exactly did you try when you attempted to trigger the V6 with a lens? Did you use a cable of the sort I suggested?
I'll retest when I get the chance. I believe I had it in TX mode, using cactus's cables. PC socket to 3.5 stereo. Even shorting the cable didn't seem to cause a fire event, but honestly my memory is vague, I'll try again.

11-30-2016, 06:58 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So I hooked my cactus v6ii to my LF lens. Tried in both RX and TX mode, it wasn't fired. To make sure the cable was ok, I hooked the lens directly to a RF60 flash, it triggered it reliably no problem. Attached is a photo of the setup.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
11-30-2016, 07:05 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I hooked my cactus v6ii to my LF lens. Tried in both RX and TX mode, it wasn't fired. To make sure the cable was ok, I hooked the lens directly to a RF60 flash, it triggered it reliably no problem. Attached is a photo of the setup.
Hmm, not sure. I'm curious to know what you find out, though. I want to use my Cactus triggers if I ever move to 4x5.
11-30-2016, 07:17 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Hmm, not sure. I'm curious to know what you find out, though. I want to use my Cactus triggers if I ever move to 4x5.
I'll let you know! I figure I'll fall back to optical triggering if nothing else, or a hot shoe adapter or something.

I should probably upload the other photo I took of the RF60 setup to be totally clear what I tested there as well.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
11-30-2016, 07:31 PM   #8

What firmware are you on? If I recall correctly you need at least 1.1.103 for it to allow you to use the trigger port as an input trigger.
11-30-2016, 07:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm not entirely convinced about the whole 4x5 lens plus radio trigger compatibility theory. I would have thought you'd be better with a P-TTL trigger .... perhaps the Acon one can do that, although surely with a new firmware version. Which port on the lens were you using for that cable? I think one way to check if there's a good connection would be to see if the flash head zooms when you turn the focus ring, although that functioning would only apply to the V6II.
11-30-2016, 08:05 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
I'm not entirely convinced about the whole 4x5 lens plus radio trigger compatibility theory. I would have thought you'd be better with a P-TTL trigger .... perhaps the Acon one can do that, although surely with a new firmware version. Which port on the lens were you using for that cable? I think one way to check if there's a good connection would be to see if the flash head zooms when you turn the focus ring, although that functioning would only apply to the V6II.
I'm trying to fire a flash with a PC port for firing my large format lenses and spotmatics. I was using the flash port (PC Sync) on that lens, like any older leaf shutter lens. I'll probably just go to optical triggering before buying a new system.

---------- Post added 11-30-16 at 10:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by paulster Quote
What firmware are you on? If I recall correctly you need at least 1.1.103 for it to allow you to use the trigger port as an input trigger.
That's a fine question, I'll check thanks!
11-30-2016, 08:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

You've educated me, that's for sure ..... I'm guessing the PC Port on the lens is to allow a flash sync beyond the cameras own one? From what I'm reading from a quick web search most Leaf shutter lenses can sync up to around 1/1600th, but without the power output drop associated with focal plane type HSS ....
11-30-2016, 08:47 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You've educated me, that's for sure ..... I'm guessing the PC Port on the lens is to allow a flash sync beyond the cameras own one? From what I'm reading from a quick web search most Leaf shutter lenses can sync up to around 1/1600th, but without the power output drop associated with focal plane type HSS ....
From what I've seen, most Copal #0 lenses only go up to 1/500s, so that's their sync speed.
12-01-2016, 06:27 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sorry, I probably sounded annoyed mcgregni; I thought you knew about these old style cables and it was late in the night. I was actually quite confused by your reply!

PC sync cables are an old standard, they're low profile but besides that newer stereo jacks are better (and not proprietary). Sadly, it's the standard we have to deal with, with older gear, almost everything has a pc port. My old spotmatics have a flash shoe, but it's cold, you need to run a cord from the pc sync port to the flash even if it's mounted in the flash shoe!

Yeah, my LF lenses go up to a "blazing" 1/500 or 1/400 shutter speed, depending on the lens. The apertures are not very large with those lenses, f16 or f22 is a pretty common working aperture. I'm working with 100 ISO film, and be using flash indoors, so even 1/125 will be lots to cut out ambient light.

I tried some experiments using HSS on my spotmatic - it would fire the flash, but the exposures came out blank, I'm guessing the timing is off.

---------- Post added 12-01-16 at 08:44 AM ----------

Ps: sorry for posting this mostly non-pentax Q on a pentax forum... folks here are just too knowledgeable!
12-01-2016, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Success! Thanks for the tip @paulster. I updated the trigger firmware and it works great, I fired my flash via the trigger. So cool. It trigger just like it should now.

Interestingly, if I set my lens to a long shutter speed like 1/4, it will fire the flash multiple times, I guess it keeps that circuit "closed" for the duration of the exposure.

@lithedreamer, looks like it's totally possible.
12-01-2016, 04:48 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Sorry, I probably sounded annoyed mcgregni; I thought you knew about these old style cables and it was late in the night. I was actually quite confused by your reply!

Just me having a little joke .... no I wasn't aware of the leaf shutter types with their PC Port. Very interesting to take a look at some of that old tech, and I'm glad you've got the syncing working now.