Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-02-2016, 02:40 PM   #1

Lighting Kit - and indoor setup

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi all, most of my photography is done outside so I don't know much about lighting setup. I take photos on the side for some friends at a clothing boutique and since it's getting colder we want to get a lighting/backdrop setup for indoors. I know I want at least 3 lights in the kit, but I'm unsure about how bright the lighting needs to be to produce good photos (will be of individual products AND of people, full body if possible). This is the kit I've found that I'm leaning toward, but I'm still searching, am I better off with a kit like this with softboxes or should I go with umbrellas? I'll take links to any tutorials you have regarding this as well!!
Photography Studio Lighting Softbox Photo Light Muslin Backdrop Stand Kit | eBay

Thank you so much!!

12-02-2016, 02:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
'Kits' in photography are almost universally bad values. :/
12-02-2016, 02:53 PM   #3

Original Poster
I can't really spend much more $$ than what the prices are on the whole kits, it's either a whole kit or pick out each piece individually, and the pieces would basically be similar to what the kit offers, no?
12-02-2016, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #4
Brooke Meyer

You don't really need 3 lights but at this price, so what.

As long as you understand the limitations of using cfl's and light stands that max out at 6 1/2 ft and thats your budget, it's okay. I would not expect it last through a lot of setups and tear downs. If you can set it up and leave it, much the better.

Since you're not familiar with lighting, it will be your easiest path because it is wysiwyg. Expect to use high ISO with live models because they put out much less light than flash. Static product shots can be done with slow shutter on a tripod.

Think of this as a consumable or disposal kit.

12-02-2016, 03:36 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by laughlady99 Quote
I can't really spend much more $$ than what the prices are on the whole kits, it's either a whole kit or pick out each piece individually, and the pieces would basically be similar to what the kit offers, no?
It's true that it'd be difficult to beat without spending more money if you needed a three light set up, but do you need three lights? Do you need continuous lights (which from a cursory look at the eBay page they appear to be)? I've done plenty of portraiture and product photography with one flash (or even cheap 'Pixar lamps' in a pinch).

As for light modifiers, I like Joe Edelman's video on the topic,
12-02-2016, 04:01 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think you'll be disappointed at the ISO needed to shoot with them, Laughlady - just my opinion.

12-02-2016, 04:01 PM   #7

Original Poster
I guess I was assuming I needed 3 lights to minimize the shadows? I'd much rather have something brighter and be able to use a lower ISO, I can't take photos above 400 without a ton of noise, which is unacceptable to me, so I'll keep looking... I guess I'll check out flash setups instead of just set lighting?

---------- Post added 12-02-16 at 06:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote

As for light modifiers, I like Joe Edelman's video on the topic, Light Modifiers
Thank you for the video

12-02-2016, 04:31 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A lot of good start up information here. Lighting 101 and 102

Strobist
12-02-2016, 04:37 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
A lot of good start up information here. Lighting 101 and 102

Strobist
Thank you!
12-02-2016, 05:03 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you!
I didn't care for the Strobist's tutorials, so starting out I went with a book and a video course. Links if you want them,

One Flash!: Great Photography with Just One Light by Tilo Gockel - One Flash!: Great Photography with Just One Light: Tilo Gockel: 9781937538712: Amazon.com: Books

'Foundations of Photography: Flash' on Lynda.com. Foundations of Photography: Flash

My library has a Lynda.com subscription and the book available in ebook form, so maybe yours does too.
12-02-2016, 06:20 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Although I only use Pentax flashes, I have seen some good comments about the Yongnuo flashes, which are not expensive. The lighting you can get from flashes is plenty, and flashes are a worthy investment that will last. Below is a shortcut to a Yongnuo at a reasonable price. You could start with one flash at a time, and add more as needed, along with umbrellas, stands, and flash/umbrella holders to hold your flashes along with umbrellas on your stands.

Amazon.com : YONGNUO YN560 IV Wireless Flash Speedlite Master + Slave Flash + Built-in Trigger System for Canon Nikon Pentax Olympus Fujifilm Panasonic Digital Cameras : Electronics

Last edited by C_Jones; 12-02-2016 at 06:48 PM.
12-02-2016, 06:43 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi all, most of my photography is done outside so I don't know much about lighting setup. I take photos on the side for some friends at a clothing boutique and since it's getting colder we want to get a lighting/backdrop setup for indoors. I know I want at least 3 lights in the kit, but I'm unsure about how bright the lighting needs to be to produce good photos (will be of individual products AND of people, full body if possible). This is the kit I've found that I'm leaning toward, but I'm still searching, am I better off with a kit like this with softboxes or should I go with umbrellas? I'll take links to any tutorials you have regarding this as well!!
Photography Studio Lighting Softbox Photo Light Muslin Backdrop Stand Kit | eBay

Thank you so much!!

You have already gotten some great advice here so I am going to try and help out in another way. First, check craigslist for used lights and stands. Also, check your local brick and mortar camera store for used lights and stands and other things you might need. I have been able to pick up stands for 10 to 20 dollars and used umbrellas for 10 dollars or less.

As you have already found out that you can find lights on ebay here are some other options from there.

Smith-Victor 750-SG 1000 watt Broad Light | eBay This is truly a hot light.

Smith Victor PL8 Studio Light | eBay

Lot of 2 Smith Victor Model S2 Steel Light Stand Tripod #401228 6' Stand 3/8" | eBay Good price on two stands. You will need to get mounts for the lights and or umbrellas.

2 Smith Victor S2 Photo Studio Light Stands Adjustable 40" to 72" Tripod Base | eBay Another good price on stands. Same as above. Will need the light mounts.

Smith-Victor RS8 8' Raven Lightstand - Black SKU# 823464 | eBay New stand from Adorama complete.

If you have any questions on those links, please ask. I will help as much as I can.
12-02-2016, 07:15 PM   #13
Pentaxian

This is the type flash/umbrella holder I use with my flashes/umbrellas (shortcut below).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0034WR71G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

---------- Post added 12-02-16 at 09:25 PM ----------

An inexpensive umbrella that I have used successfully with my flashes/holders is listed below (shortcut).

https://www.amazon.com/Cowboystudio-33-Photography-Translucent-Umbrella/dp/B...lucent+Shoot+T

---------- Post added 12-02-16 at 09:39 PM ----------

I have used/recommend the already mentioned 8 foot Smith-Victor light stand also.

Last edited by C_Jones; 12-02-2016 at 08:09 PM.
12-03-2016, 06:28 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thank you so much for all of the great advice everyone, very much appreciated!!
12-16-2016, 07:03 PM   #15

Are you looking strictly at hot lights rather than strobes? For portability I'd seriously consider a simple strobe setup + a flash meter.

I'd say a 2 light setup is adequate unless you want to achieve more background and/or hair separation with your subjects.

Basically you'll need:

5-6ft light stands
universal clamps
hotshoe clamp adapters
master flash (if your camera doesn't already have one built in)
slave strobes (you don't need dedicated TTL)
unbrellas
triggers (if the slaves you get don't already have some kind of trigger system)
power (whole bunch of AA rechargeables -or- dedicated external battery packs if the strobes support them)

Call B&H and explain what you want to end up with: "Portable 2-3 strobe off camera setup" and they can get you everything you need and make sure you don't forget any little parts.

Power supply really depends on how many frames you need to shoot per session. Just one set of AA's could get you through at least 100 frames at full power on most strobes.