Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2016, 03:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Eneloop Cheap Alternatives - AmazonBasics

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Just in case you weren't aware of these... Amazon have available what they call AmazonBasics High Capacity Pre-Charged 2400mAh Rechargeable Batteries in AA and AAA. They also have 2000mAh versions.

It appears that these are re-wrapped Eneloop / Eneloop Pro batteries. At least they are indistinguishable in dimensions and also in specs. But they are effectively half the price. So far, my smart charger seems to support the capacity claim, they are indeed about 1mm longer than standard AA like Eneloop Pro's, and give a very snappy flash charge rate. Longevity I can't attest to, but the reviews are glowing...

Here is the link to the UK Amazon page for the item...

AmazonBasics High Capacity AA Pre-Charged Rechargeable: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

12-06-2016, 03:59 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I use some of these in my off-camera manual flash units. They're not as good as my Eneloops, but they're definitely decent - and very good value for money. Like you, I can't attest to their longevity, but so far I'm happy with them
12-06-2016, 04:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
... they are indeed about 1mm longer than standard AA like Eneloop Pro's ...
Which could affect fit with certain devices?
12-06-2016, 06:01 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Which could affect fit with certain devices?
Probably in a POSITIVE way as the Eneloops are in fact a fraction shorter than standards AAs. This actually means that in some devices you can't use them. For example, I can't use them in my Sigma flash as they don't make full contact inside the battery chamber UNLESS I press down hard on the battery chamber cover. Normally AAs work fine.

Last edited by Theov39; 12-06-2016 at 06:11 AM.
12-06-2016, 07:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Eneloop Pros are longer by about 1mm, as are these. Everything about them is so similar to Eneloop Pro that a lot of reviewers (and myself) are convinced that they're just rewraps. There are a number of brands doing this now, including Duracell. The fact that the two amazonbasics versions exactly match the specs and physical dimensions of the two eneloop versions adds weight to this I'd say.

But whether or not they are, they are extremely good batteries for the price, so if like me you have better things to spend your money on than the Eneloop brand cult, they are a great alternative.
12-06-2016, 07:54 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"you get what you pay for" principle vs "its a commodity, they're all mostly the same". Which is right? I incline to the latter, certainly the Which tests tend to corroborate that. Eneloops consistently rate the best, scoring 86%, however the 7dayshop NiMH AAA's I have just bought score a respectable 72% (actually for a slightly lower rated battery - 900mAh vs 1100mAh), and are much less than half the price! 7dayshop is based in the Channel Islands ie "offshore" so dodges VAT (sales tax).
However some cheapo bty brand AAA's I have picked up off ebay were clearly not so good - don't last as long, not as much oomph. But I mainly use those in cheap led torches.

Amazon Basics are mentioned in this review/test (scroll down).

The Best Rechargeable AA Batteries | The Wirecutter
12-06-2016, 08:39 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I have EBL AA batteries and EBL chargers that I have used successfully with my three AF360FGZ flashes off camera and on camera.

12-06-2016, 08:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Everything about them is so similar to Eneloop Pro that a lot of reviewers (and myself) are convinced that they're just rewraps.
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
Amazon Basics are mentioned in this review/test (scroll down).

The Best Rechargeable AA Batteries | The Wirecutter
Yeah, and the linked article states:

QuoteQuote:
Are AmazonBasics just rebranded Eneloops?

Probably not. There’s quite a lot of speculation on some sites and in some reviews that certain cheaper brands might actually be Panasonic Eneloops in disguise. Independent reviews and enthusiasts have been floating the idea that AmazonBasics Rechargeable Batteries and the High Capacity version, which are considerably cheaper than their Eneloop counterparts, are actually made by Panasonic. There’s all sorts of rumors about whether the factory that makes Eneloops contracts out to other brands since the sale from Sanyo to Panasonic. But no matter what corporate evidence someone wants to go dig up, our just tests don’t agree.

Despite having similar measured capacity to Eneloop in the first few cycles, the AmazonBasics only powered our test flashlight for 2 hours, 12 minutes while the high-capacity version improved to 2 hours, 39 minutes. The equivalent Eneloops bested them by burning for 2 hours, 45 minutes and 2 hours, 56 minutes. Even in last year’s inconclusive camera flash tests, the AmazonBasics batteries only strobed 80 percent as many times before being completely run down. While Amazon has been churning out impressive discount products in some categories, we don’t think the AmazonBasics are a great deal for most people—especially because at a price of around $2.12 per battery, they’re not much of a deal.
12-06-2016, 08:54 AM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd have to disagree with that article's conclusion that Amazon Basics batteries aren't a great deal. Like I said, I have both these and Eneloops (Pro, actually). I haven't run proper tests, but I definitely notice slightly longer usage time per charge from the Eneloops. But, 80% of the life per charge is still extremely useful, and given the price of the Basic batteries, I do think they're a great deal...
12-06-2016, 08:57 AM   #10
Pentaxian

The high capacity version of the Amazon Basics rechargeable rated well in the article that was mentioned. Below is the shortcut to the product (Amazon U.S.).

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-High-Capacity-Rechargeable-Batteries-Pre.../dp/B00HZV9WTM

---------- Post added 12-06-16 at 11:06 AM ----------

The EBL AA type batteries and charger I have are:

https://www.amazon.com/EBL-Capacity-Rechargeable-Batteries-Included/dp/B00HS...+high+capacity

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EB7812C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
12-06-2016, 10:06 AM   #11

I use Eneloops, and I use Rayovac rechargeables. The Rayovacs hold a charge almost as well as the Eneloops at half the price. Here in the shopping hell of Central PA, Eneloops are available only by mail order. You can buy the Raovacs at just about any Walmart. Now that I know about the Amazon batteries, which are about as cheap as the Rayovacs, I'll have to try a set. FWIW, I use these things in cameras, flashes, radios, TV and electronic remotes (in AAA form) and even flashlights. In flashlights, it is helpful to charge them once a year whether they need it or not. You can even use them in place of C and D cells by using adapters that essentially alter the battery diameter to match a C or D cell. The only place I have found where they don't work well is in outside senders for indoor-outdoor temperature gauges and the like. In those I use Eveready lithiums. I have Eneloop and Rayovac batteries that are ten years old and still going strong. I haven't bought alkaline AAs or AAAs in ages.
12-06-2016, 10:49 AM   #12
Pentaxian

The big advantage of the Envelops is how long they hold their charge when not in use. In the article they really only tested a few type of batteries for this (the types they tested, and set up the power retention test a year ago), though it seems like Energizer did significantly better than I think they used to, based on some Energizer rechargeables I have from a few years ago that seem to only hold their charge for a few weeks.
12-06-2016, 11:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mechmike10 Quote
I use Eneloops, and I use Rayovac rechargeables. The Rayovacs hold a charge almost as well as the Eneloops at half the price. Here in the shopping hell of Central PA, Eneloops are available only by mail order. You can buy the Raovacs at just about any Walmart. Now that I know about the Amazon batteries, which are about as cheap as the Rayovacs, I'll have to try a set. FWIW, I use these things in cameras, flashes, radios, TV and electronic remotes (in AAA form) and even flashlights. In flashlights, it is helpful to charge them once a year whether they need it or not. You can even use them in place of C and D cells by using adapters that essentially alter the battery diameter to match a C or D cell. The only place I have found where they don't work well is in outside senders for indoor-outdoor temperature gauges and the like. In those I use Eveready lithiums. I have Eneloop and Rayovac batteries that are ten years old and still going strong. I haven't bought alkaline AAs or AAAs in ages.
I have some of those adapters that came in an Eneloop kit from Costco that also included eight AA batteries, four AAA batteries and a charger. I have never been able to find any device in which the adapters with fully charged AA batteries inside will successfully C or D cell batteries. That said, I love my Eneloops--in their native sizes--for my camera gear and other high-drain electronics.

The Amazon Basics batteries do sound tempting but will they work in an Eneloop charger? Both of my Eneloop chargers will register an error by flashing the LEDs when I put any non-Eneloop battery into them. Fortunately, I have a Rayovac branded charger that not only works just fine with the Rayovacs that came with it but also cheapo Harbor Freight rechargeables and no-name Chinese batteries from eBay, the latter of which do not get used in any 'mission critical' electronics.

Last edited by E-man; 12-06-2016 at 12:05 PM.
12-06-2016, 02:40 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have white Eneloops bought in various batches over the years and white AmazonBasics (1900 mAh, now black) that I use in devices around the house (AA and AAA for both brands). I haven't tried the current black or silver AmazonBasics, but comparing what I have of the same vintage and rating, my impression is that they are not the same.

The AmazonBasics are better than any of the non-low-discharge NiMH batteries I've used (Maha Powerex, Energizers, and maybe one set of Rayovacs), but not quite as good as the Eneloops (driven home when I was without power after Hurricane Matthew, and hauling my Maha charger and a sack of batts to work every day). How good a deal the AmazonBasics are may depend on timing - when I bought the ones I have, the price seemed to change every few hours, sometimes a great deal, sometimes "meh".
12-10-2016, 09:10 PM   #15
Veteran Member

So this discussion piqued my curiosity and prompted me to order an 8-pack of the silver high-capacity 2400 mAh AA cells. They arrived today and have passed their first test as an Eneloop substitute. I four of them in one of my Eneloop chargers and it accepted them. That's the first time I've been able to charge non-Eneloop cells. I put the other four in my K2000, which is my most persnickety camera when it comes to batteries. About the only batteries it likes is Eneloops or Energizer Lithium cells. The battery meter showed the four I had not put on the charger to be fully charged right out of the package and after sitting in my mailbox all day in sub-freezing temperatures. I fired off a few frames and the battery meter still showed green. The next pretty day we have around these parts, I'll take that camera out on a little 'shooting spree' and subject the batteries to a little more of a stress test. While it may not the most totally scientific test imaginable, it'll be enough if successful, to satisfy me that these are a viable Eneloop substitute for the price.

UPDATE
So I went out and shot a few pictures with my K2000 today to see how it liked the Amazon Basics batteries. Although I didn't shoot all that many pictures, and none that were really all that memorable, I do feel that I can call the experiment a qualified success since the battery indicator remains green. For whatever reason, this particular camera has always had a voracious appetite for batteries and some brands don't even register as fully charged when they go into the camera fresh out of the package. Like I said earlier, the only rechargeable batteries I've been able to successfully use in this particular camera are Eneloops, so it's nice to now have a more cost effective alternative. It is interesting to note that Amazon's price on these batteries today is $3 higher than what I paid less than a week ago. Also, they're made in Japan, not China.

Last edited by E-man; 12-12-2016 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Added an update.